April 2017 Moms

How is your significant Other holding up during this pregnancy?

I'm trying to be more active here since I've been a little MIA because of the holidays.

DH is having more of a hard time with this pregnancy than I am. I have had minimal symptoms and it seems that he has all of them (nausea, losing 20 pounds, not sleeping well, digestive issues . . .)

This week he finally came out and revealed that he thinks he is depressed. I've been suspecting since October that something was off. But he worked 16 hour days for two months and I thought it was temporary.

I feel really terrible for him, he really isn't himself and he feels worth less and that he should be "above this" because we do have a great life. He is afraid it will get worse after baby is born. Also, feels guilty that he is not as happy for the baby as he should be and that he should be helping me more around the house. 

We had a rough year. We had two miscarriages in March and May. And his dad's cancer returned, this time is terminal.

I told him that I will be there for him no matter what. He doesn't need to worry about me or baby right now ( baby is healthy and I'm doing great symptom and emotionaly wise). That it is a chemical imbalance and he can't help how he feels. I suggested professional help, and he said he needs time to figure things out first.

Re: How is your significant Other holding up during this pregnancy?

• Loading the player...
  • @Dax28 - echoing what the others have said. DH was struggling earlier this year as well, and after many tough talks, he finally decided to reach out and get some help. The decision to get help alone made a huge difference in his attitude and confidence level. It's like once they see that it's no big deal to admit there's an issue, they're through the hardest part. 

I struggled with PPD after my first pregnancy and was very stubborn about getting help. I think having gone through that together helped DH feel confident about reaching out, too. 

As for how he's handling this pregnancy, he's so much more connected than the first time around. I know I've mentioned it before, but it's like he needed to experience parenthood first before he could understand the anticipation of it all. Now he's more proactive in checking in and asking about pregnancy-related things. 

I hope you guys can continue to stay connected and have lots of good conversations going forward. There may be some growing pains for the time being, but keep doing what you're doing in supporting and encouraging him. 
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @davis7912

I'm so sorry your hubs hasn't been very attentive.  I would definitely put my foot down though and tell him growing a baby is no easy task.  Try to make him understand that the baby is a part of him and if he wants a healthy baby with a healthy momma, he's going to need to put in some effort.  Tell him to grow up and quit being so selfish!
  • @davis7912 I'm sorry to hear you and hubby aren't connecting and you're feeling alone :( have you tried telling him how it's affecting you? 
  • @HGRich I am a verbal processor too! I am constantly talking to myself...in the car...walking the dog...to my DH. I am having a bit of a hard time processing how my life is about to change and I realized awhile back that I was dumping too much of DH and was taking away from his excitement. Now I'm seeing a therapist once a week and it's a relief for both of us. 

I will also 4th? the 5 Love Languages. DH is physical touch, he constantly wants hugs, pets, back rubs, etc. I am anti-physical touch so I really have to be conscious to communicate with him in that way. Mine is Acts of Service and I also have to be conscious to provide him with opportunities because I am a bit more of a self starter when it comes to home care tasks than he is. There is a part in the book about how to proceed even if your spouse isn't on board with the idea, so check it out even if your SO is suspicious! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • So very sorry to hear this :( It's not easy, in fact it's definitely scary and overwhelming at times knowing a new tiny life, completely dependent on you is about to enter your world and turn it upside down. Add miscarriages to the mix the illness of his dad and it can be truly too much to handle at times. 
    I'm glad you show understanding and support and kudos to you for handling it all so well while being pregnant and dealing with your set of emotions! 
    But I think he really should be seeking professional help and sooner rather than later. Depression doesn't just go away and we often think we'll figure it out but really the sooner you get help the sooner you will feel better. So I hope he will embrace the help that's being offered and get back to his usual self.

My H has been going through some things himself. It's not depression but at the same time he's not quite where I'd like him to be. I often feel alone in this. He is always in a great mood at work and will go the extra mile to show how good he is at his job. I wish he'd give 50% of that enthusiasm towards his family. We are currently working some things out as he's just not into it. But he's in denial about it and there is always an excuse (and typically something I'm not doing first so then he acts that way). If I mention therapy then he's got all the answers already. So i'm at a loss because he's not willing to try fix things. 
    I don't know if it's this pregnancy persay but it's definitely adding more to the stress...

• I'm definitely feeling disconnected from DH this pregnancy. He travels a lot for work and is in the midst of launching a huge, company-wide project, so he is literally traveling every other week. He hasn't been able to go to a single OB appointment (but, thankfully since we did out AS the day before Thanksgiving he was able to make it to that), and it was a really long time before he was able to feel her moving. I know that it's been hard on him to be away so often...he left for his current trip on Sunday morning, and Saturday night he kept talking about how hard it was to leave DS. I'm not really sure how to help him out...honestly, I feel like he has the easier end of the deal since he's away, working during the day and being social with coworkers pretty much every night, and I'm still here pregnant, working full time, taking care of DS (and the dog), and making sure the house doesn't fall down. IDK. We're in a weird position, and I'm not sure how to manage it. It wasn't this bad when I was pregnant with DS, but he also didn't travel as much.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @SnarkasaurusRex will he be done traveling by the time baby is here? For bonding purposes, but also for your sanity...
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • @KirstinH88 Realistically, I don't think we can even afford to do preschool next year (I honestly don't know how we're even going to afford 2 in daycare on my salary), so it probably won't even be an issue for a while. It probably wouldn't feel so stressful if I didn't need to be at work by 7:00 when most preschools and daycares open at 6:30. I'm with ya on finding the new "normal"...back when I was pregnant with DS I had no idea how I would manage taking care of him while DH was travelling, but it's smooth sailing now. :)
  • @SnarkasaurusRex I am lucky in that my work hours are flexible, so there is that. I couldn't imagine having to be at work at a certain time, especially that early!
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • @SnarkasaurusRex  I can relate. I have a set work schedule (7-4), but DH is in retail management, so sometimes he has to be at work at 6am, other times he goes in at noon, but doesn't get home until midnight. He has one weekend off a month. I'm so worried about dinner/bedtime routines with 2u2, and without him there. I didnt even think about the morning routine- until now- so thanks for that  :D
  • @SnarkasaurusRex Oh my goodness, it sounds so difficult for you especially with a little one running around and you managing everything. 

For about 3 months of the pregnancy DH was working 16 hour days with only the 14th day off. It was so difficult for both of us, sometimes we only got to speak 30 minutes before he passed out from exhaustion. I held the house together, planned the shower, and mostly prepared for baby on my own. He did as much as possible going to most of my apps and trying to help out. He is doing better with his depression but I'm still going to suggest therapy for him or both of us before our child is born.
  • If your SO doesn't want to go to therapy, go yourself and then invite them to attend with you. Sometimes people are more willing to support their partner over themselves. 

@SnarkasaurusRex that sounds really difficult! I don't have any wise words or personal experience to share...just that sounds shitty and I'm sorry. 
    Pregnancy Ticker