April 2017 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes check in?

2»

Re: Gestational Diabetes check in?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Here's a few shots of some of the helpful info from my dietician. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    shaunessashaunessa member
    edited January 2017
    @Mama5181

Thank you for posting this!  Since I need to watch what I eat, I think i need to switch out my fruit during my lunch for cheese :)

@Virginialeigh

Yay!!!!!
  • Options
    Thank you so much @Mama5181 !
  • Options
    Good to hear, @elgie!
  • Options
  • Options
    I think I'm finally on the right track with glyburide and diet.  My fasting numbers have been good the past few days (knock on wood)

Also Halo ice cream seems to be my new best friend.  I eat it as my bedtime snack and have been waking up with good fasting numbers.  I just wish it wasn't $6/pint!

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    dam0ne4 said:
    I think I'm finally on the right track with glyburide and diet.  My fasting numbers have been good the past few days (knock on wood)

Also Halo ice cream seems to be my new best friend.  I eat it as my bedtime snack and have been waking up with good fasting numbers.  I just wish it wasn't $6/pint!
    This makes me so happy to hear! I have been missing my nightly bowl of ice cream...and thought about giving this a try! How much of it do you usually eat? I mean...I could likely put away the whole pint if given the chance ;)

Also, anyone else having to check their ketones? I'm finding it hard to balance getting enough carbs/not eating too many...my numbers are on the lower end usually and I have trace/small amounts of ketones in my urine, which is know is also dangerous. This balancing act is tricky!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @elgie I try to stay between 1/2-1 cup.  I'm liberal with my measurements and it hasn't been a problem yet!

They check my ketones at my OB appointments and so far so good.  It really is hard to find that sweet spot with enough carbs

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

• Options
    Looks like I'll be joining this discussion more now that I know for sure I failed my glucose test!
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    akslevinakslevin member
    edited January 2017

I failed the one hour. Darn it. I was close to the cutoff of them just calling it GD (188), so I'm on the fence about taking the 3 hr. The hospital is ambivalent about whether or not I take it. I've been testing my sugars and eating normally, just to see how my sugars were responding. So far, they've appeared normal, even after pizza. I'm wondering if it's possible I don't have it? Could anyone detail what the 3 hr test is like?

Edited to add: I'm not scare of the diagnosis, and I'm not looking for a free pass to stuff my face with sweets. I've been eating moderately the whole pregnancy. If I have it, I want to know. Maybe I've just answered my own question. I guess what I'm really confused about is this: can a person have GD and not come across foods that spike their BS? Do normal BS readings mean anything?

• Options
    @akslevin I would take it but I'm a cautious one. I had GD with my first and I noticed that I never really had high readings after eating meals as long as I made sure to eat protein with my carbs and I took a walk if I splurged.
    Abbygirl 5/2012
    Baby Boy due 04/07/17
  • Options
    Anyone else have elevated fasting levels in the morning but normal levels an hour after a meal? Mine aren't insanely high, 3-5 above where the doctor wants me to be, but I find it strange my fasting numbers are elevated but I'm within range after a meal.
  • Options
    So turns out I failed the 3 hr but I'm ok with it. I'm attending a class on Thurs to get all of the info and material I need to manage this. I'm not bummed I just know I need to do whatever it takes to keep my baby healthy and me.  Please everyone continue to post snack and meal ideas, I get food boredom so easily! 
  • Options
    dam0ne4dam0ne4 member
    edited February 2017
    @sberries yes I always had high fasting numbers- my after breakfast number would be lower than my fasting. They ended up putting me on meds for it
    But my fasting numbers were 105-115

DD Born 5.9.12

MC March 2016@8.5w

Expecting #2 4/30/17

• Options
    @sberries I've had the same issue with both my previous pregnancy and this one.  I've never had problems controlling my sugars after meals but my fasting number is always around 100-105. I've messaged my dr and I'm certain they will prescribe meds this week. 

@akslevin If you haven't had GD before I would take the 3 hr just to know for sure. My 1 hr this time around at 26 weeks was 182 and my dr was fine with me skipping the 3 hr since I've been diagnosed before.  Plus, I think the 3 hr can tell you alot about how your body responds to sugar, etc.  My results showed that my fasting was my worst number and all of my others were right around the cut off. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @akslevin I would go ahead and take the 3 hr. I had GD with a previous pregnancy, and the 3 hr is going to give you a much clearer answer. It will be able to tell you where you spike, and how quickly your body is responding with insulin. For example, you may have normal fasting reading, then a huge spike 1 hour into the test, then your 2 and 3 hour readings could be normal- indicating your pancreas is responding with insulin, and the placenta is only interfering in the beginning. Whatever the outcome, I think you should take the 3 hour. Personally, I was always able to control my BS with the correct amount of carbs and protein, and didn't have any BS issues throughout the rest of the pregnancy. 
    Let us know what you do!

• Options
    @akslevin

As others have mentioned, I'd take the 3hr.  I failed the 1 hour, but I blamed it on the Hershey bar I had the night before.  When I took the 3hr, they said my sugar level slightly spiked at the 2nd hour, but not enough to say I had GD or had to monitor my sugar levels.  They said to just watch what I ate from here on out and to exercise.  I failed on a Thursday so by Tuesday I was ready to test again.  The whole weekend I went on daily walks, stayed away from white carbs (only had whole wheat toast), stayed away from fruits and juice and had plenty of protein.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of your input -- very helpful. I agree with you - I need to take the 3hr test to be sure. It's just I reacted so badly to the 1hr (my sugar bottomed out and I almost fainted), that I weary of the 3hr for fear it may be worse. But I need to know definitively. They're having me monitor my sugar levels for a week and then I have another appointment scheduled next week, over a week between the two tests.
  • Options
    Got my GD diagnosis officially today. The hospital is suppose to contact me for a class/dietitian appointment.  They've called in my supplied to the pharmacy.  What do I do in the meantime?? Obviously try to limit my sugar and carbs, but is it safe to do it without any guidance? 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    These are the guidelines I was given. I would just do your best until you get in to see the dietitian.  The dietitian told me these carb counts are a limit so you can have less. They also told me to eat 1800-2300 calories a day and shoot for these macros: 30% carbs/30% protein/40% fat. Good luck! I'm finding the diet easy to follow but still sometimes get numbers out of range which I'm told can be stress related. The good news is at my ultrasound my baby was normal size.  With gestational diabetes we are at risk to have a large baby.

Carb count goals

Breakfast 30 grams carbs max
    Am snack 15-20 carbs
    Lunch 45 grams carbs
    Afternoon snack 15-20 grams carbs
    Dinner 45 grams carbs
    Pm snack 15-20 grams carbs

Fasting blood sugar 60-95 mg/dl
    2 hrs post meals b/l/d 70-120 mg/dl
  • Options
    @hb7 - Thanks!! 

I'm very nervous about the big baby - my first was a big girl (8 lbs 6 oz) and I am on the smaller/average size for a woman. I don't know if I can't handle much bigger in a baby!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    kcasset said:
    Got my GD diagnosis officially today. The hospital is suppose to contact me for a class/dietitian appointment.  They've called in my supplied to the pharmacy.  What do I do in the meantime?? Obviously try to limit my sugar and carbs, but is it safe to do it without any guidance? 
    I'm omitting anything white -- sugar, bread, potatoes, rice, tortillas, pasta, etc. I've not stumbled upon a food so far that spiked my numbers. I think in the beginning it's a bit of a puzzle. I'm doing eggs and organic chicken sausage for breakfast, cottage cheese and apple for snack, protein+veg for lunch, string cheese+low glycemic fruit for snack, and protein+veg for dinner. I've gone back to eating the way I did before my wedding, except eating more carbs now from fruits and veggies. I find I can get plenty of carbs in that way. And I always eat a protein with carbs. Seems to working well.

• Options
    @akslevin - Thank you! I did okay this weekend with the lack of guidance yet, but it's still hard.  With DD I was able to eat a lot of proteins, this time, most things turn my stomach.  I'm finding the balance though and I really appreciate the insight. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    kcasset said:
    @akslevin - Thank you! I did okay this weekend with the lack of guidance yet, but it's still hard.  With DD I was able to eat a lot of proteins, this time, most things turn my stomach.  I'm finding the balance though and I really appreciate the insight. 

Welcome! Isn't it so strange how pregnancy changes our tolerances? I've been eating eggs for breakfast every.single.day. since May 2013, but just recently, I've grown less and less interested. Eating them this morning was a challenge. JEEZ! I pray my love for them returns in 9 weeks, after little guy makes his appearance.