August 2017 Moms
Options

UO 2/2

2»

Re: UO 2/2

• Options
    middy411middy411 member
    edited February 2017
    My UO: I don't quite understand being team green. Yes I hear everyone's "reasons" and I'm trying to see it from another perspective but just can't lol. It would be one thing if you had to do something extra to find out the sex of your baby, but it just kind of happens naturally with today's technology. In fact, you have to work and plan and tell docs and nurses and anybody else who might know to please keep it a secret from you. I get that back in the day nobody knew what they were having til birth. But nowadays it's a dang chore to not know lol.

I thought I wanted to be team green with my first but DH convinced me to find out (and actually to find out early at an elective 3D ultrasound). I realized that I fall more and more in love as I know more about my babies (even after they're born) so I'm definitely finding out asap again this time. Waiting seems like an unnecessary restriction and I guess I just can't fathom it when so much else is already going on at birth lol. I was barely conscious when DD was born. I know I know, very unpopular opinion! 

ETA: I'm not one of those curious ppl who HAS to know what someone else is having so that's not where this comes from. More of a "I don't understand why you're making the process complicated" perspective lol
  • Options
    @pinkprincesspiper yaaaaaasssss mama! Preach! It's just any other day for us. Too many corporate holidays and pressure on people to buy shit. And the big jewelry stores tricking men into buying fugly shit. Show her you love her with a necklace with an ugly ass heart on it, or earrings that match that ugly ass necklace you bought her last year. Hate it. 

@megaroo42 I totally get wanting a unique name. But I also want my child to someday get a job. And when you have some weird ass name, it is proven that employers are more likely to skip over you as a candidate. So I'm yeah, gonna play it safe for sure. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @middy411 I totally understand people that have/want to know but for me is just that I love surprises and I don't want my kid to  be born with a highly stereotyped wardrobe.
    I really don't need to know to feel connected and I have no preference if if it's a boy or a girl.

I also hope that not giving sex any importance will help myself to deconstruct in my own head. I want my kid to be himself/herself don't matter if he/she loves tutus & glitter, cars & heroes, or both. 

I honestly don't see it as a complication. I checked a box in the lab form, and the birth center has a warning in my file. 
  • Options
    megaroo42 said:
    My UO: I can't stand looking at the baby name thread at Bump. I'm all for naming your child what you want, but all I see with some of those names is disaster. I love individuality but for god's sake, don't make up a new spelling for your baby's name. 
    100% of the regular posters on the baby name board agree with you. Stop making shit up. If you want an uncommon name, pick a name not commonly used. Aliviyah is not fooling anybody.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    @LivLew good points! I thought some of the same things and then realized that knowing didn't mean I had to dress DD in all pink (for the record people always think she's a boy) and I want her to play with trucks, glitter, baseballs and anything else she finds interesting. I knew my opinion was unpopular but I still don't get choosing not to know something that's just a natural part of the process (today). I guess in my head it's sort of like going to the bakery and asking not to know what flavor they gave you. I know, silly comparison. Just my UO
  • Options
    @middy411, it's so funny that you used the bakery analogy because I tell waitresses and bartenders to surprise me all the time! I tell them stuff I don't like and let them pick my meal/drink. 
    BTW I don't think your opinion is really unpopular. I assume at least half the people agree with you. 
  • Options
    I think most people not just the name board agree on the name thing lol. I don't like made up spellings of names. I know a girl who I'm not kidding you named her baby "Aoibheann" pronounced Ahven.. when people were like are you insane her poor teachers and she's like no we are homeschooling like that makes it ok..
    Another lady I used to work with in Guam named her baby Espn. They pronounce it like S-Pen. No. Just no. 
    As for Valentine's Day we've never been like spend a bunch of money people but I like a little something. Usually a bag of skittles or something the day after lol. 
    Team green... lol my thinking is if it isn't your baby why do you care what other people do? (Not saying you're like this @middy411) but when I was trying for team green my family got pretty crazy about it like chill out guys it's not that big of a deal.. DH talked me out of team green because he's going to be gone. He really wanted to know the sex so I budged. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @middy411 your opinion makes more sense to me than all the "planners" who need to know the sex in order to stock the nursery. I don't really like pink (I do like blue, but not as the exclusive domain of little boys), and for a good year or so the only things I really care are around my kids are plenty of stories and things they can use for make-believe. My brother is all "your kid needs a teddy bear" (he carried his around well into grade school), and I'm like, meh, how about a cardboard box? And a spoon and an empty 2-liter bottle?

If I thought I could convince people to keep their gifts stylish but good for daily use (i.e. no santa's elf outfits or 18 fancy dresses), I'd find out and who cares? However, I'm a terrible liar and can't keep my own secrets, so I'm still Team Green.

plus I like knowing my "if I were a boy" name, and SO's interest in baby names is pretty low right now. I've gotten "I like Jack" out of him.
  • Options
    @megaroo42,

I hate unconventional baby name spellings.  It just looks like poor spelling/ grammar to me.   Drives me nuts.  I had to talk my sister out of using an unconventional spelling of her son's name.  As a former teacher I have also seen some students struggle with their unique names.

BTW, not trying to knock those who choose unconventional names/ spelling.  I have just seen it go badly.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @megaroo42, yes! I was cringing as I read that thread yesterday.  I personally love traditional names and family names.  If you don't want to go that route, fine, but don't make up spellings and weird names.  Kids are special because they're kids, not because they have weird ass names.
  • Options
    Nxy said:
    I think most people not just the name board agree on the name thing lol. I don't like made up spellings of names. I know a girl who I'm not kidding you named her baby "Aoibheann" pronounced Ahven.. when people were like are you insane her poor teachers and she's like no we are homeschooling like that makes it ok..
    Another lady I used to work with in Guam named her baby Espn. They pronounce it like S-Pen. No. Just no. 
    Not to be a jerk, but Aoibheann is a real, correctly spelled name. It's an Irish name, so the spelling and pronunciation looks strange to Americans, but she didn't make up the name or the spelling.
    Espn has no excuse, though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Oh I know it's a real Irish name. That doesn't make it look any better to me as a simple American. I've been working with her for 2 years as a play group coordinator and everyone *everyone* calls her A. The mom is also a close family friend and they have no Irish roots (that she can trace) she just "liked it because it was different". The mom has told me more than once that she wishes they had just "americanized" it so people didn't get so confused. 
    I should have put my last post in paragraphs so it was more clear.
    I'd also never tell someone what I thought about what they named their kid unless they asked, I just cringe internally.
    Also I'm running on like 3 hours of sleep so I might just sound like a big confused mess.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @LivLew that is so funny and may actually cure my "not understanding" why people choose not to know. Obviously some people just REALLY enjoy surprising themselves!! That makes it sound fun when I see that you're a person who thrives on surprise haha
  • Options
    My uo this week is that I work too much and don't have time to bump! 
  • Options
    Most names started as words, that's why they have meanings. When you change the spelling, it loses its meaning. Also it's fecking annoying as a teacher. 

I love the sound of Irish names like siorche (sear-sha) but we mere mortal Americans can't handle the spelling. 

I hate hate hate any name that has "xt" in it (Braxton, Daxton) it sounds so harsh. But I like an x in general (max, Dax, Saxon alexia)
  • Options
    @dinofreak you mentioned my daughter's name! Alexia! I haven't  met another one yet but I have heard a few people tell me they know somebody by the same name. Originality wasn't my goal so I enjoy hearing there are others out there or seeing it mentioned as a "regular" name. I wanted Alexis but my husband didn't like it so we agreed on Alexia and I think I love it even more. Names that end in s get confusing when people try to make them possessive lol. 
  • Options
    @Lauradi1010 My first name is Caitlyn. You have no idea how many times I've had to spell it out for people. They always spell it "Katelyn" and get really confused and frustrated when I say that's not it. I've gotten my name written on things spelled 24 (and counting) different ways, including some with an 'h' in there somewhere (ie. Cathlyn). Like, how?? It's not a hard name.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @caitlyn5454, That's my SIL's name. Same spelling!
  • Options
    I went Team Green with my second and loved it.  My husband found out the sex and spent the entire second half of my pregnancy trying to confuse me or convince me it was twins.  We had fun with it.  And, when my daughter was born, I was so in love with her that I had to be reminded to look to see what SHE was! lol.   In that moment, it truly didn't matter. And I loved that.

I also hate made up names, but I do love traditional names that aren't commonly used anymore.  My DS is Sebastian Floyd.   My dad's name is Floyd and Pink Floyd is my favorite band so it was a nice tribute all around. 

My daughter is Natalie Autumn.   She was born in July.  lol.  But, Fall is our favorite season and she was conceived in the fall, so it worked. lol..  And, I think Natalie is a beautiful classic name that works well as both a little girl and an old lady...  I did want her middle name to be Ruth but DH vetoed that one. :(
    Pregnancy Ticker

Wife. Mom. Doula. Photographer.
    BFP #1- 12/26/2011-  DS Born 9/7/12
    BFP#2- 10/16/2014- DD Born 7/2/15
    SURPRISE! BFP#3- 11/29/16-  EDD 8/6/17
    Formerly MrsAB1316

• Options
    @megaroo42 I got on here just to say exactly what you said. I just read through that name thread and thought most of those names were terrible.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    @caitlyn5454

I love your name.  Think it is classic.  I think your name is the more traditional spelling, but could be wrong.  I have seen some girls named Katelyn though.  I have no idea how people would throw an "H" in there.  Must drive you nuts.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @caitlyn5454

My name is also Caitlyn and spelled the same :) I feel your pain. I still have people at work spell my name incorrectly even though it's in my email address and signature. 
  • Options
    Adding a new UO after Superbowl Sunday:. I really didn't like Lady Gaga's Superbowl performance.  I was a bit bored by it.

In the other hand I was pleasantly surprised by Luke Bryan's National Anthem.  I am not a huge country fan and expected something much more twangy.  BOY, can he sing!   I love that he didn't try to over do it.  

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    If it makes anyone feel better people misspell my name (Sarah) all the time. Even on my work email where you have to type my name to email me (also my signature too). Even on Facebook. I don't know many Sara's without the h but apparently everyone thinks I should be one. For the record, I love my name and it used to be soooo popular forever and now nobody uses it. I would use it but, well, I'm already named it lol.
  • Options
    Adding a new UO after Superbowl Sunday:. I really didn't like Lady Gaga's Superbowl performance.  I was a bit bored by it.   

**stuck in the box**

I guess my UO is the opposite, I loved Lady Gaga's performance! 
  • Options
    @PinkPrincessPiper

Lol!  I must say I do think she looked awesome.  I can't believe that people are bashing her for an itty bit of realistic pudge.  Anyone who bashed her seriously needs to look at the average woman.  I mean almost anyone stuck in tight bottoms would look a lot worse.  I can't imagine how bad my pudge would jiggle in her bottoms.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @PinkPrincessPiper

Lol!  I must say I do think she looked awesome.  I can't believe that people are bashing her for an itty bit of realistic pudge.  Anyone who bashed her seriously needs to look at the average woman.  I mean almost anyone stuck in tight bottoms would look a lot worse.  I can't imagine how bad my pudge would jiggle in her bottoms.
    Her legs and butt looked amazing too! I thought her bod was spot on. She only had the "pudge" because her bottoms were like made of metal and shit. Who wouldn't have that issue? People will always find something.