May 2017 Moms

Unpopular Opinion 1/26/17

Re: Unpopular Opinion 1/26/17

• Loading the player...
  • @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I'm not sure I understand the logic of "it hasn't happened to me, so it does not exist."  I feel that is part of the problem with so many white men being in power, is that because of their privilege they haven't experienced racism or sexism so it is a non-issue to them.  

My problem with everything that has happened since the inauguration is the destruction and violence of businesses whom people felt were aligned with Trump.  Breaking windows, etc. legit solves nothing.
  • I am totally on board with both of these so far. @NotAPlaya-JustCrushAlot I, too, am very bothered by the view that women are treated equal all the time. While it maybe true for someone (doubtful), it invalidates my (and many others) very real life experiences. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KipperooKipperoo member
    edited January 2017
    I'm 100% on board with these UO's. Specifically, the white male privilege and the inability to show compassion for people with very real stories. Coincidentally, my SIL sent me this article today--if you don't have time to read to the end, just scroll down to the cartoon...edited because this link will not work for some reason...but you can google "upworthy priviledge cartoon" and it will pop up as the first link. 

https://www.upworthy.com/a-short-comic-gives-the-simplest-most-perfect-explanation-of-privilege-ive-ever-seen 

I don't have an UO yet...I'll keep thinking...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Kipperoo The link didnt work, but I know the one. Very good comic! I sent that to my husband a while back and I think he uses it in one of his lectures now. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Guys, I just have to share this gem- posted on Facebook this afternoon by someone I went to high school with: 

Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• @Louise_Belcher, thanks for the heads up! I don't know what's wrong with the link, but I'll try editing it. My computer is not my friend today...
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @kayemjay2: I'm literally speechless.
  • Interesting. Am I doing it wrong then since I'll hold a door open for a man? I thought it was just a politeness thing. Sorry I got pregnant, am carrying around extra weight, heart burn, indigestion, nausea, exhaustion, etc. and people out of the kindness of their heart want to be nicer to me? I guess when is a man is sick I shouldn't return the favor?

Ugh, people.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • @kayemjay2 oy!

Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
  • Love this! Agree with all. I was raised "vegetarian" but my mom was always great about letting us eat what we wanted. I had a salami obsession in grade school I remember vividly. I was a vegan for a time after college. But parents being strict with children's diets seems dangerous to me. Think about the possible disordered eating that can come of it.
  • I can't think of a UO today, but oh my god @kayemjay2, that meme. I cannot even.
  • @kayemjay2 I saw the same picture the other day and I am seriously racking my brain, but what special treatment do pregnant women get? The most "special" treatment I got was another woman offering me her seat in a crowded office because I was pregnant and holding a sleeping toddler something a room full of men did not do... it seriously baffles me.

I still need to think of my own UO, but the ones up are great so far.
  • You ladies rock.  When I wrote my original UO, I was feeling a bit disheartened by my female social media friends living in the midwest.  Many of them work in male-dominated fields like agriculture and they have been posting the most ignorant things lately.  It's frustrating because I could point out areas in their life where they are treated differently for being a woman, but they don't care about it.  Aside from a weekend trip to Vegas many of them have never experienced diversity in their entire lives and they are happy in their bubble.
    I guess I'm one of those that's happy in my bubble. I don't believe I'm entitled to anything simply because I happen to have a vagina.