April 2017 Moms

GTKY: Netflix suggestions

Between being in the middle of winter and having less energy/motivation overall, I figured a thread about our favorite binge worthy Netflix shows could come in handy. I'm certainly looking for a new show to get hooked on until LO arrives to help pass the time!

So, what is your favorite show to watch? 
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: GTKY: Netflix suggestions

• Loading the player...
  • If you like football or are going to watching with your SO, Last Chance U was pretty interesting. Second season should be out this year! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Last time I watched Lost in about 2 weeks while DS was on sleep strike. It made the middle of the night more bearable and it was suspenseful enough to keep me awake haha.

I think The  Crown and Call the Midwife are good ones. I also recommend Daredevil and Grey's Anatomy. I need to start compiling a list as well! I think I'm going to watch Charmed if I get bored, even though I've seen it all, but I love it and it has multiple seasons so should last me awhile. I was looking for Desperate Housewives the other day but looks like they took it down from Netflix. If you have HBO Go/Amazon Prime/Hulu, start looking into the shows they make themselves: Game of Thrones, Westworld and Sex and the City (HBO), The Man in the High Castle and Transparent (Amazon), and I really loved 11.22.63 on Hulu.

BabyFruit Ticker

DS--N14
    Baby #2 EDD--4/16/17
  • I've been watching pretty little liars (which I enjoyed in the beginning but find it getting a bit hard to follow now, and narcos!
  • I love cop dramas and have been working my way through Longmire right now. 

As an aside, The Fall's (seriously dark - so dark that everything happens at night) villain (Jamie Doran) looks exactly like my neighbor. SO he's basically very hot but also possibly a serial killer (or really into BDSM). 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just started Call The Midwives and love it! In the past- OITNB, Stranger Things, obviously Frienda, HIMYM, Departures is a great travel show but im not sure if its still on netflix. Six Feet Under, Shameless, The Crown.... im sure I have many more...
  • I agree with so many that people have already mentioned... Orange is the New Black, Kimmy Schmidt, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock. In the comedy department I'll add The Goldbergs on Hulu... it's flipping hilarious to me and DH. And there are like 70 episodes available. New Girl is pretty cute.

As for dramas, I LOVE Parenthood. My favorite show of all time and it's on Netflix (This is Us is becoming a close second). DH and I both enjoyed Stranger Things. I also gave Once Upon A Time a try thinking I would not be in to it, but its actually been pretty good and there are tons of seasons. 

I watch a LOT of TV while DH is away for work so I'm sure I'll think of a few more haha. Awesome thread! I have been starting to think about saving shows to watch for all those long days with baby. 
  • Currently I am watching Charmed - it makes me miss the Aaron Spelling dramas of the 90s/00s.

On the list i have a lot of what you ladies have listed. There are a lot of really good shows I'm excited to watch.  I'm also really excited Golden Girls is coming to Hulu. When I was a kid I used to fall asleep watching Cheers so I have a Pavlovian response to the theme song where it makes me sleepy. I'm hoping to start Bean on that train too. I only like the Diane seasons though. 
  • @BabyBlake042017 I was wondering if anyone was going to mention Once Upon a Time. I watched two or three seasons and it started to drag for me. Does it get better? 
  • @HGRich that's about as far as I have gotten haha. I did start to think the last few episodes I have watched were trying a little hard, but it was cute in the beginning! 

I forgot to mention Jane the Virgin. I think it's on Netflix, and it's pretty cute. I feel like mindless fluff shows are just what I will be in the mood for while nursing/rocking etc in those first few weeks. 
  • Are there any good "reality" shows that you guys can recommend? I've put a lot of what was mentioned on my list, but I want some mind numbing stuff as well! HAHA! All I can think of is 90 Day Fiance or Married at First Sight.
    Me: 29 DH: 33
    Married: 5/30/2013
    DSS #1: 5/25/2007
    DSS #2: 1/22/2011
    DS #3: 7/8/2012
    BFP: 3/14/2016 ~ MC: 3/19/2016
    DS #4: 4/21/17
  • We are cord cutters and reality tv is the only programming I miss.  :'(
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Dannylion24  I wasn't putting in my opinion because it seemed my idea of good shows were sooooo off from everyone else lol.  You have some that I like so now I don't feel as weird!
  • @KirstinH88 if you have Hulu or Amazon Prime, (I think they're on both) you should watch the VH1 celebrity dating shows. They are 100% absolutely mind numbing... but if you like trashy TV,  that's the pinnacle of trashy. I would recommend the Flavor Flav one (Flavor of Love) or the Brett Michaels one (Rock of Love). 

Fair warning though, you will probably lose a few brain cells. 
  • @RachelGreene I've seen Flava Flav and Rock of Love soooo long ago. Are they still on? Haha!!
  • @KirstinH88 I wish! I think the two of the ended up going back with their original wives/baby mamas. I haven't watched them in years. 
  • @KirstinH88 90 day fiancé yessssss. We watched that religiously this fall. I love me some TLC reality shows. Have you seen Love at First Kiss? Super awkward. Like a train wreck you just can't look away from. 
  • KirstinH88KirstinH88 member
    edited January 2017
    @wagnerw Haven't seen it. I don't watch a lot of TV. Ok I don't watch any TV. So any suggestions you guys have, I most likely haven't seen it. Added to the list.

ETA: FFFC (please don't hate me) I'm obsessed with the Duggar family.  :#
  • @KirstinH88 I used to watch 19 kids and counting, but I can't deal with that family anymore. I haven't watched Jill and Jessa's spin off. I also used to watch Sister Wives, but I can't deal with the douchey husband.

My favorite TLC reality TV show was My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding. I don't know if it airs anymore, but if you can find it some where online, that show is a hot hot mess.
  • Following because I need a new show. I was obsessed with Call the Midwife and nearly wept when I had watched them all. I think I might jump back into Greys Anatomy though. 
  • I really liked Nurse Jackie. Kinda intense at times but overall a good show. Not sure if you're into it but Hulu has a bunch of 90's shows. I just started Sabrina the Teenage Witch and 7th Heaven. Another good one is The Last Man on Earth.
  • DH and I don't really watch much TV (not intentionally, I love TV) these days, so on my last leave I finally started Scandal.  I also ended up getting super addicted to The Good Wife and watched that non-stop.  For a more "fun" show, I had never watched Revenge which didn't require my full attention to keep up, which was good when I was sleep deprived and early in motherhood. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• So the only thing I watch that no one has said already is Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I have also started rewatching Buffy, and plan on getting around to Lemony Snicket's. I love NPH!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Can I ask the Parenthood fans - can I just skip the first season? That's been my hold up on getting through it, I just feel like it drags and I'm not that invested in the characters.  Or is it like other shows where I have to just buckle down and survive the first season and then it'll be worth it??
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @kcasset - I'm opposite of you with Parenthood. I could only get into the first 2-3 seasons, but they were definitely worth the watch. I started getting annoyed and tuned out after that, but then I also found out that it has the same writers as Gilmore Girls, so that explains it. *dodges flying objects thrown her way for hating GG*
    BFP 9/13/2020 with Baby #3 <3  
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @kcasset if you don't enjoy the first season then I would say you should just pass on the series as a whole. The show definitely relies on you buying in and investing in the characters, so if they aren't clicking with you then my guess is that it won't feel any different in other seasons for you. Good thing there are so many other fun suggestions on this thread! Hope you find one you like better!
  • @Magheeta and @BabyBlake042017 - interesting!! I'm not sure why I can't click with the characters so far in season 1. I SHOULD like it, it's always recommended/suggested to me, but for some reason whenever I've tried, I just find myself not interested.  I guess I'll try some of the other shows mentioned here first! 

BabyFruit Ticker