February 2017 Moms

Ask a STM January

So many babies! So many questions!  

Re: Ask a STM January

• I never paid much attention to this but I'm curious which foods/drinks can help up or maintain your supply while breastfeeding. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • @concreteangell Great question! I've heard that cabbage is to be avoided; the leaves can help with engorgement, and some people thing that the properties that do that might impact supply if you eat it....
  • Loading the player...
  • @concreteangell I want to pile on to your question and ask if anyone has any lactation cookie recipes (or other lactation recipes!) they'd like to share?
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @concreteangell I want to pile on to your question and ask if anyone has any lactation cookie recipes (or other lactation recipes!) they'd like to share?
    Yes! I've been wondering about this. Most of the commercial ones all seem to have nuts in them and I need to get some good nut-frees ready to go.
  • @concreteangell not a STM, but I know a lot of people who swear by lactation cookies. There are a lot of recipes online, but what they all seem to have in common is brewers yeast, oatmeal, and flaxseed. I made some for my sister when she had her baby, and she claims they do help with supply. The recipe I used were for peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and they were really good!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • cphsiungcphsiung member
    edited January 2017
    @concreteangell Fenugreek as a supplement.  Water.  Your doctor can prescribe medication also, if needed.
  • cphsiung said:
    @concreteangell Fenugreek as a supplement.  Water.  Your doctor can prescribe medication also, if needed.
    This! A friend of mine that just had a baby used the Honest Company brand. She said it worked, but as with anything it ended up upsetting the babies tummy. Not everyone will have the same reaction though so it's worth a shot. Either way it did increase her supply. 
  • Drink plenty of water.   Dark beer now and again is supposed to help.   I found a lactation cookie recipe online that was good, not sure if it helped a ton or not.

The more you nurse,  the more you make.  I had supply issues with my twins,  but we were supplementing and I was pumping and there was always a lot of pressure.   With my youngest,  she was always with me,  nursed all the time,  and even if it was just for comfort, I let her nurse and I  never had supply issues with her.   

Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Partyof6? said:
    Drink plenty of water.   Dark beer now and again is supposed to help.   I found a lactation cookie recipe online that was good, not sure if it helped a ton or not.

The more you nurse,  the more you make.  I had supply issues with my twins,  but we were supplementing and I was pumping and there was always a lot of pressure.   With my youngest,  she was always with me,  nursed all the time,  and even if it was just for comfort, I let her nurse and I  never had supply issues with her.   

I agree with all of this!  Water, water, water and nurse all the time.  And even if drinking a beer doesn't help, it tastes great and is relaxing, which can't hurt! 
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate the tips. I may give lactation cookies a whirl if need be at some point. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • All that has been said above about lots of water, skin to skin time, and lactation cookies.  Gatorade once a day has also been tossed around in some groups as helpful too.  I think this is getting at enough hydration and electrolytes.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Stay away from peppermint and drink allllllll the water.  I had a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipes with whole oats that was pretty amazing. 
  • Nursing on demand helps a ton as well, from what I've read. I wasn't able to successfully breastfeed my first due to unrelated issues but plan to make it work this time and have been doing a lot of reading. One thing that always comes up is let baby nurse as much as they want even if it seems like that's all you do all day because it not only helps your milk come in but establish a good supply. 
  • Here's a question: how long are these flipping night sweats going to last? I feel like every other night I am waking up just utterly drenched in sweat. I can't wait until I am cleared for stairs and housework (never thought I'd say that!) so I can change the sheets (laundry in basement). My husband has been doing a load of baby laundry every day at minimum, plus all the dishes, and he doesn't care much about sweaty sheets so I'm not insisting. But yuck.
  • @poetryandoceans strip the bed and throw the sheets down the stairs! You deserve clean sheets! I think it probably varies but if I remember right it wasn't all that long. Maybe a couple weeks? 
  • I feel really dumb asking this question but how long are you usually told to avoid stairs after labor? Our only shower is upstairs...
  • @lfrank12 It's only because of my stitches; they don't want them to separate. And it's just avoid unnecessary stairs, not that they are absolutely verboten. I admit, I may be leaning on it a bit hard, because a. our stairs are steep, and b. the only thing in the basement is the laundry... 

@homemake You're right, I think tonight was the sweat that did it for me. Clean sheets here I come!
  • @poetryandoceans I had terrible night sweats as well! It lasted probably about a week after DD was born. 
  • @poetryandoceans still having the night sweats but ive been up and down the stairs a few times a day & defintely wanting the bedsheets changed. Been saying it for the past few days but it has to happen tonight. I had a waterproof matress protector on since before my waters broke just as precaution but i think its making the night sweats worse so it needs to come off now!
  • edited January 2017
    @Janefelicity oh I never even thought of that, I'm sure my mattress protector is making it worse! Brilliant.

@ColeBug89 I'm so glad yours ended relatively quickly. I'm hoping mine follow suit. I'm at 1 week just now, and oh god I hope it stops soon. 
  • My night sweats lasted like 2 months with DS. This time I'm freezing all the time.  
  • See im freezing when im not in bed, like i need all the hot water bottles & blankets but having serious sweats when im in bed. No happy medium at all.
  • It never occurred to me that stairs could be a problem after delivery...Our house is up a lot of steps so there will be no avoiding it for me - hopefully it isn't an issue!  
  • @MissMerciBeaucoup Only if you tear, and you can always do things like set up a change station or a snack stash on whatever floor you spend the most time. I think the guidelines that @MissAmber23 mentions are a lot more reasonable than the ones my midwife gave (although I'm not objecting to my midwife guidelines, because they get me out of laundry duty...)
  • Bringing your own boppy/bf pillow to the hospital: yay nor nay?

Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • @PerraSucia Sold! Thanks. 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • @Vastra I have both times and will bring one again. It just helps me feel more comfy and secure. I also brought my own bed pillow too though. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Vastra said:
    Bringing your own boppy/bf pillow to the hospital: yay nor nay?

Yay!  I used the bed pillows too at the hospital, but it helped to have the nursing pillow you plan to use at the hospital with you. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Vastra I brought my boppy to the hospital for delivery of both my kiddos. And my own cozy blanket and bed pillow. It's nice to have something from home when you are so uncomfortable and the boppy was good to have while the LC was helping me in my room so we were positioned how we would be at home. 
  • I'm with @PerraSucia
    I dont take anything like that to the hospital 
  • i think as a ftm it would have been helpful to work with the LC and the supplies you'll actually have to hand at home. LCs seem to think we all live in a world with a never ending supply of pillows within arms reach, which... no. Being able to figure out strategies that will work at home without the nurses and latch experts around is important. You could just wash the cover before using it at home
  • @Vastra I'm a FTM but I plan on bringing my boppy. I think it'll help to use what I'm going to use at home while I'm learning at the hospital. I checked on tour and my hospital doesn't have Boppy pillows but you could check with yours b/c some do I think. I bought 2 covers for my pillow so I'll just take off the one I used at the hospital and wash it before using it again. 
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• lemieuxk said:
    Anyone have experience with a newborn who was only happy when being held? What did you do? Just learn to live as a one armed person?
    I'm a FTM so no personal experience but have you tried a wrap or ring sling to baby wear?  Then you can free up your hands but still hold baby close.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • lemieuxk said:
    Anyone have experience with a newborn who was only happy when being held? What did you do? Just learn to live as a one armed person?
    I think this is every newborn. It'll change soon enough but you can get a wrap carrier so at least you have hands! 
  • That was my thought as well but I have an Ergo and can't use it until she hits 7 lbs, which I don't think will be for a while. Maybe I'll look into other carriers that might work for a smaller babe. I know it's normal and obviously love the time I spend cuddling her, just hoping I can find a way to do that and feed/clothe/bathe myself on occasion.