3rd Trimester

Should me and my husband throw our own babyshower?

Im 6 months pregnant. Im the youngest of 5 sisters i have my mom and wonderful inlaws. But none of them has offered to throw us a baby shower. We find that wierd since this baby is the first in 9 years and we are having the 1st girl on his side. I know people say its tacky but we are just so excited for this our rainbow baby we want to celebrate. What should we do?

Best Answer

Re: Should me and my husband throw our own babyshower?

• Loading the player...
  • We are not first time parents we have a 9 year old my 1st pregnancy i was 17 so i didnt exactly get the excitement i do now from my family.  And we bought all the big stuff already. We mostly just need diapers. To me i wasnt thinking i want to be showered with gifts i was thinking it would be fun playing coed games and decorating onsies.  Thank you guys for opening my eyes to different scenarios this helps alot
  • Is it possible they're planning a surprise shower? If this isn't your first child that may be why no one has brought up a shower, which are usually reserved for first babies. I think the idea of having a "Meet the Baby" party would be fun. You can make it as simple or elaborate as you feel like. 
    Anniversary 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ah if it's not your first that is probably why no one has offered a shower.  I'd suggest just hosting a meet the baby party once it is born.  Even without advertising a registry many people will bring a small gift like clothing or diapers or books which is what it sounds like you are hoping for anyway.
  • Ditto the PP's.  I wouldn't host my own shower.  Have a meet the baby party.  People always bring things like clothes, diapers, etc.  Congratulations on your rainbow baby!  
  • Is it possible they're planning a surprise shower? If this isn't your first child that may be why no one has brought up a shower, which are usually reserved for first babies. I think the idea of having a "Meet the Baby" party would be fun. You can make it as simple or elaborate as you feel like. 
    I like this idea best. Plan a meet the baby party for after LO is born and if family/friends are planning a surprise party then you will get to have both experiences. If not then you still get to have a family gathering to celebrate the baby.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Can you talk to your family and ask if they have considered it or are going too?  If not I agree with the post above ^^.
  • Ok I know people say it's tacky to have more than one baby shower but my husband's family throws a shower for every baby. His mom has 17 grandkids. Literally. And she threw a shower for each one. So I don't think you're wrong in wanting to celebrate a baby you planned with my first we had a shower planned but then my son came 2 months early so instead we had a welcome home party for him it was thrown by his family so I'm not sure if people were asked to bring gifts but they did and they only brought clothes and diapers since he was 2 months old so we pretty much had everything already. But if they don't throw you a party yes throw your own make it a welcome home party and not a shower but I don't see anything wrong in celebrating your baby. In the invitations you could write diapers are welcomed but a gift is not necessary. Some may think that's tacky but whatever
  • @mrsguzman1002 um this thread is from January, when OP was 6 months pregnant. Pretty sure she isn't worried about a baby shower anymore. 
  • Sorry I didn't look at the date. But Thank you for informing me. :P gees 
  • You can celebrate every baby and it is not tacky at all to throw a baby shower for yourself. It's about the baby and it's an exciting time no matter who throws the shower. Unfortunately I don't have many people offering either but I will definitely be celebrating. My family don't understand the concept of throwing celebrations especially for someone else but they love celebrations when they're happening.
  • 1queenp23 said:
    You can celebrate every baby and it is not tacky at all to throw a baby shower for yourself. It's about the baby and it's an exciting time no matter who throws the shower. Unfortunately I don't have many people offering either but I will definitely be celebrating. My family don't understand the concept of throwing celebrations especially for someone else but they love celebrations when they're happening.
    She was 6 months pregnant when she posted this in January, so I doubt OP is too worried about this anymore. Also, asking people to come to a party to shower you with gifts is tacky. It's not about celebrating baby because baby isn't there yet, but that's a different kind of party, not a shower.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::