August 2017 Moms
Options

Bringing Dad on Board

I'll be 8 weeks pregnant this Friday and since I found out I'm pregnant my fiance has not been able to accept it. He is insistent that the only option is to get an abortion. But, for me that is not even a remote option. Anytime we have this discussion I am overwhelmed with fear and sadness about the idea of an abortion. He has gets highly emotional about the idea that having this baby could be an end to the relationship. It is breaking my heart.

He is emotionally tattered about the idea of losing our relationship if I have this baby. On one hand he says he would be bitter if I have it - on the other, I would be bitter if I didn't. I feel like we are going to bed with sadness about this more often than not - I feel alone in this. I can't talk to him about ultrasounds or cravings or exhaustion. I can't complain about my clothes not fitting or  my boobs hurting. He gets depressed when I am hungry more often or go out of my way to eat more healthy food.

Are there others with similar challenges? 

Re: Bringing Dad on Board

• Options
    Yes. SO flips back and forth between excitement and (more often) despair that this will ruin all his professional goals by forcing him to be more risk-averse. It's taking time for him to accept it, and he feels like he has to censor himself as he processes his emotions so I don't cry, which is atypical for us. And without his full support, I frequently feel overwhelmed. We're fighting more.

In the meantime, I'm using a few techniques:
    - Telling people earlier than I might have otherwise: this allows me to be excited with someone, to bitch about symptoms with someone, to get sympathy from someone.
    - Getting involved here
    - Seriously looking into therapists for both of us, separately and together. Insurance is a bit of an issue, but I think it's going to be helpful for everyone.
    - Setting themes for the week: if I try to get us to decide/fix/discuss everything all at once, we'll self-destruct. So last week was only about nutrition and fitness, because no matter what, we both need to work on that. This week is an extension of that - meal planning - because circumstances last week (snow) prevented us from getting as far ahead as we'd like. Next week is about other medical appointments, like me finding a new dentist and his allergist. 
    -Mantras: we keep telling each other we're going to be okay. We keep choosing each other. I think it's helpful when I'm in tears, at least.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think that what @bumpybump was getting at is that he is going to feel this way if he was tricked into it, whether by accident or not. If she was on some form of BC then the chances of this happening significantly go down which in my opinion would reduce the stress of the situation. If she wasn't on birth control and they didn't want kids yet and this happened, it seems like measures weren't taken to try to prevent this, this stress him out when he isn't ready for kids. 

As far as it goes for handling this situation, it goes the same as with any relationship. If they want you to do something you can't/won't/aren't comfortable with, it's time to move on, even if it's just for a little bit to give him time to think and come to terms with it. But don't go back until he is ready to accept being a dad. Everyone want the other parent involved with their child and sometimes that just doesn't happen for whatever reason. You have to chose what's best for you and not let anyone make that decision for you. Good luck
  • Options
    Hi @Melinda.
    Have you guys talked about family planning in the past? Did he want children in the future? If yes, he may come around eventually but remember that having a child is not easy and even stable marriages with wanted pregnancies have difficulties in adapting to the life changes a baby brings. You may have, for your own health and of the baby, to walk out on him until he makes a decision. Although he will have responsibilities towards the baby, you cannot force him to want a kid and be physically present.  Your baby will be better off growing up in an environment where he/she's wanted. Now it's time for you to think if you're willing to do this on your own. 
    I wish you luck. 
  • Options
    With our first, he was planned  but it was still so scary and stressful. We fought a lot in the beginning  because we were scared of the unknown. How would this affect our relationship? Our finances? Our career goals? Absolutely everything changes when you have a baby and to not be afraid would be naive IMO. Once DH saw the baby on the first U/S, it got real for him. Up until that point it was almost theoretical. After that we were able to communicate much better about our fears and how to deal with them. We had to because that baby was happening, no question about it. It ended up being one of the most wonderful things for our marriage. Did we fight? Hell yea. But we also learned how to better communicate so that now we rarely do. And when we do, it's something we can talk thru so our child doesn't see any anger. I hope you can come thru this stronger and that he can see the experience for its awesomeness. 
  • Options
    @mrsashworth522 thanks for finding some middle ground between @bumpybump and me.

@dmbfan46835  agreed that the baby is pretty theoretical right now to SO because he's not actually experiencing the pregnancy.

• Options
    jpomojpomo member
    edited January 2017

@Melinda I'm really sorry you're dealing with this and I hope that you come to a solution that you are happy with. I can't say that I've been through this myself but I agree with the ladies above when they say that your primary concern should be your baby and yourself. In my experience with relationships I've found that you can not make someone do something they don't want to (stay, go, have a baby, change). The only thing you can control are your own actions. I really do hope he comes around but if he doesn't I wish you all the strength in the world.

• Options
    Whatever you do, do not let him pressure you into getting an abortion. However this little life got into your belly, it's there now, and ending it on purpose would have major irreparable consequences on your emotional and mental health. That is not his call to make. 

What about being parents does he think will ruin your relationship with each other? Has he mentioned any specific fears you can address, or is it just a general sense of doom? Talk it out with him, if you can.

Can you have him come with you to an ultrasound? I know for my husband in my first pregnancy, seeing the baby on the screen and hearing her heartbeat on the doppler helped his mind transition from, "My wife is behaving differently due to a condition called 'pregnancy'," to, "There is a tiny human inside my wife, and I am responsible for the tiny human, and I love it."

I truly hope being parents together brings you and your groom-to-be closer than ever. 
  • Options
    I'm going to be blunt... this is not his decision to make. It is your body and no one has the right pressure anyone into an abortion. I think all you can do at this point is make the decision if having this baby is what you want and then let him know your mind is made up. Put the ball in his court, and accept that he might not stay around. Don't be harsh just make your decision known and his only decision is to respect that and figure out if he wants to be a dad or leave.
    With that being said, it is still important that you listening to his fears and be supportive and understanding of his feelings 

Another thing that might help is turning to a close family member or friend at this point. Sometimes this is hard with relationship problems, but being about to hash out your feelings with someone who knows you and your fiance can really be helpful. 
  • Options
    I am 100% pro-choice. It's your body and you choose what to do. With that, because he is the baby's father, his voice shouldn't go unheard. I would talk to him and see why he truly feels this way, and express the reasons for your choice. If he still feels the same way, dump him immediately! You should be enjoying this time. 

I personally cannot fathom having my husband feel this way. That would make me feel lost and alone. For the baby's sake, please talk to your fiance. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @Melinda I do not envy your position. I'm so sorry he is unsupportive. Something changes when we become mamas...and it happens to some of us the moment we know we're pregnant. Planned or not, you have this beautiful little life that needs you. 

He may be right. Your relationship may not survive this. But it wouldn't be at any fault to the child. It would be due to his unwillingness to accept responsibility for something he helped create, intentional or not. 

Please do not abort this baby. If your relationship is going to work, it will work no matter what decision you make...if not, it wasn't ever going to. Maybe this was a blinking light after several missed red flags? I don't know. 

We're here if you need us! 
    A million times all this.

Keep the baby. Work on the relationship. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. 
    I know many women who had unplanned pregnancies. One chose to abort (guy was a douchecanoe). No regrets. Another chose to keep the baby even though the guy was a douchecanoe and is no longer in her life at all. Life is still a struggle for her and derailed her life plans, but she does have a new supportive boyfriend who will be adopting her child. He's wonderful. Two other couples chose to get engaged and married after finding out about pregnancy, and they appear to be happy families. Still others had unplanned pregnancies after marriage and welcomed the child with open arms and love. And this is just who I know about! 

Even if you're not religious this is still a good quote: "When humans make plans, God laughs." This is just a new direction your life is taking. Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Melinda Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you are trying to work this out with him logically. I'm sorry he feels the way he does. At 8 weeks, your baby has a heartbeat, which makes it technically a living human being. Definitely a baby. 

I can't even imagine the range of emotions you're going through right now. Creepy internet hugs! I'm truly praying for you.

One thing that hasn't been brought up is adoption, so I thought I'd just throw that out there. It might be a good compromise since you don't want to end the baby's life and your fiance doesn't want to raise a child. I know a couple who adopted their son on the day of his birth, and I think the way it worked was, they paid for the birth mother's OB and hospital expenses throughout the pregnancy, came to the hospital the day he was born, signed all the papers, and took him home when he was released from the hospital. I don't know any more about it than that, just throwing it out there since it hasn't been mentioned yet. 
  • Options
    What @gipfish said!!! You beat me to it!

@melindaSince neither of you wanted to have children, maybe consider adoption? So so so many families can't have kids and would be so blessed by adoption. No pressure at all, but maybe something to consider.
  • Options
    I can't imagine the position you are in. It's a great step that you both when to talk to someone. As someone else mentioned, if your relationship if going to survive, it will regardless of a child or not. And if it doesn't, it is no fault of the child. Whether you were on BC on not, you were still choosing to have sex, and your fiancé has to understand there are consequences to his actions. It's sad to think that this baby will likely grow up with a father who doesn't want a relationship with them. But also, men don't bond right away. My DH was super excited about our LO last time around but he certainly didn't feel a love towards her until he held her. Seems to be the case with lots of fathers.

Thoughts and prayers. Every blessing is a gift and NOT an accident. Don't let him take away this joy or gift or future if that's not what you want. Some of the most incredible moms I know have fought through hardships to raise their babies, sometimes by themselves.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you and FI are dealing with this.  As much as it sucks, this sounds like a 2-way deal breaker.  I'm going to copy @lyse01 and post a mantra:  Your most important relationship is with yourself. 

There is no guarantee that you'll be with FI forever.  He could change his mind about you; you could change your mind about him; one of you could (God forbid) pass away.  You will however be with yourself forever and need to make decisions that you can live with.

Give each other time and keep going to therapy. Good luck.

DD.R: 2013
    DD.C: 2015
    #3EDD: 8/1/2017

• Options
    Im against the grain. Both parents have a say. Why are women allowed to force men to be fathers? If an unplanned pregnancy is equal blame, then also isnt the subsequent pregnancy? - im sorry OP i dont really have any advice for you, its a tough situation. The only thing i can suggest is therapy, which it sounds like what you Are already doing. If you are committed to the pregnancy then you have to face the possiblity that you may do it alone. It may just take him some time to come around, its alot harder thing for men to accept as its not happening to him. Our first was planned, but hubby didnt really come round until my 3rd tri. Im sorry he isnt giving you the support you need, but try and support him. Hes in a hard spot too. 
  • Options
    **Lurking from July '17**

You've gotten some really good advice, but I didn't want to read through all of this and not offer some support.  First of all, I'm so sorry you're in this situation.  I've had a miserable first trimester, nausea-wise, and I can't imagine going through it without a 100% supportive dad-to-be.  I can see where your fiance is coming from - his idea of his future has been turned upside down, and there's nothing he can do to change it.  Maybe with time he'll come around, maybe not.  I'm glad that you're clear on what you want, and now is a great time to start sticking up for your baby.  It's great that you're in therapy together (that would have been my first recommendation), and I hope that you can find the support you need during this pregnancy and beyond, even if it's not from your fiance.  I'll be thinking of you (in a non-creepy, internet stranger way).  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am really glad that you were able to get some advice! :) I would also like to add, I would consider getting a procedure done (tubal ligation or vasectomy) if you do decide that you do not want any more children after your first. I am sorry that you are going through this an hope that you find some peace and clarity soon! Please keep us updated if you are able.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just commenting to offer support and say that we are hear to listen to your excitement about your baby or commiserate when you are not feeling well. Also, for what it is worth, DH wanted our baby and it still took him a long time to wrap his head around the idea. Men just go through the pregnancy so differently. I think it is great that you are hearing him out and letting him communicate his fears. I think men have to hash things out and go through the motions even though it is hard to hear. Sometimes they come out of it with a completely opposite view point. Not to be Suzie sunshine and say everything will be fine but you never know. 
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. 
    The first time around was a similar feeling. Nothing as drastic as an abortion. We planned on a child one day but it happened sooner then he expected and between the first and this one we had a condom broke and he freaked out and we fought over it. For guys it is a lot harder to accept it and get it the feelings. I don't think he really expressed any feelings until the first time he felt her kick and then the ultrasound. It was birth that he should truly sweet and genuine love and emotion and that's probably when it really hit him. 
    So I guess that just my sliver of hope that one day he will possibly come around. 
    He may also have deeper issue that are affecting him and he won't get passed them. I'm glad you're talking to a therapist because that is the only suggestion I can suggest. 
    I do not think ending this will help your relationship at all though. He will be the reason you did this and you will be bitter at him. It won't work in a relationship. He could come around, or you could split but you will have best gift ever. It might be scary but your growing child is amazing and you can do it! Being a mommy is hard but it's the most rewarding thing I've done. 
  • Options
    Im against the grain. Both parents have a say. Why are women allowed to force men to be fathers? If an unplanned pregnancy is equal blame, then also isnt the subsequent pregnancy? - im sorry OP i dont really have any advice for you, its a tough situation. The only thing i can suggest is therapy, which it sounds like what you Are already doing. If you are committed to the pregnancy then you have to face the possiblity that you may do it alone. It may just take him some time to come around, its alot harder thing for men to accept as its not happening to him. Our first was planned, but hubby didnt really come round until my 3rd tri. Im sorry he isnt giving you the support you need, but try and support him. Hes in a hard spot too. 
    Lurking from July

Women are allowed to decide what happens to their bodies...end of story.  If OP doesn't want an abortion then she doesn't get one.  Any adult having sex should know that there is no form of birth control that is totally effective so any time you choose to have sex you do it with the understanding that you could become a parent.  Nobody is forcing this guy to become a father but those are the cards he was dealt and now he needs to man up and deal.  

OP you have had tons of great advice and stories with happy and not so happy endings.  In the end this really is your decision.  I've watched what happens to a woman who has an abortion that she didn't want and it's terrible.  Don't do that to yourself.  Keep trying to work it out with your fiancé and hopefully you are one of the happy endings and he falls deeply in love with the baby. If not then it's a new chapter of your life and you can do it.  The single mom gig isn't easy but it's possible and so rewarding.  
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I'm really sorry you're faced with this decision. His response sends up huge red flags to me and if I were in your position, I'd have to weigh the pros and cons of staying with him. I hope he comes around to the idea. 
  • Options
    @Melinda Best of luck - really and truly. Judging by the amount of support and insight on this thread, I'd say you have a lot of support here if you need it <3
  • Options
    @Melinda my sister's fiancé tried to her to abort her 4th and his 3rd child. When she didn't, he started cheating on her and kept it a secret, but broke up with her when the baby was born. Turns out he hadn't DS and needed heart surgery and she was across the country preparing to buy their new house while working a new job. Then he acted like he wanted to get back together (having her come back to where they had lived but didn't have her move back in with him and their kids) so he could convince her to give the baby up for adoption. We made her realize what was happening and she didn't go back (he had already moved the gf in anyway) and she kept the baby. He is now 19 months old and now she is thankful that he was the reason their toxic 11 year relationship ended. Now this is an extreme circumstance, but realize that you need to make the best decision for YOU.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    @Melinda regardless of the decision (or lack there of) that you face regarding your pregnancy... one thing that came to my mind immediately and didn't really see too much advice on within the responses.

Does the SO you always pictured (and deserve) in your life love you unconditionally?  Do you want to be with someone that can change their mind about their love for you based on a change that has nothing to do with infidelity or deception?

POV around abortion is one thing... but I feel like you both need to truly think about how this is playing out and regardless of the outcome if you really think you are either ready for marriage and/or the right people for one another.

FTR my DH and I did premarital counseling, by default with our officiate, and he asked hard questions... one of which was abortion if we had a baby with a genetic disorder or how we'd feel about it if we had a daughter that got KTFU at 15 years old... things like that.  We were asked all sorts of random questions had to respond while being put on the spot... we didn't always have the same approach but at the end of the day we have the same values and beliefs that shaped our responses.  I highly suggest you go through this type of exercise if you haven't already, today it is an unplanned pregnancy but who knows what tomorrow might bring... 
  • Options
    abmommy15 said:
    Lurking from July

Women are allowed to decide what happens to their bodies...end of story.  If OP doesn't want an abortion then she doesn't get one.  Any adult having sex should know that there is no form of birth control that is totally effective so any time you choose to have sex you do it with the understanding that you could become a parent.  Nobody is forcing this guy to become a father but those are the cards he was dealt and now he needs to man up and deal.  

OP you have had tons of great advice and stories with happy and not so happy endings.  In the end this really is your decision.  I've watched what happens to a woman who has an abortion that she didn't want and it's terrible.  Don't do that to yourself.  Keep trying to work it out with your fiancé and hopefully you are one of the happy endings and he falls deeply in love with the baby. If not then it's a new chapter of your life and you can do it.  The single mom gig isn't easy but it's possible and so rewarding.  
    Interesting topic here. I believe men and women inherently share responsibility for unplanned pregnancy, but the thing is it's the woman's body. If the man doesn't want a baby, his choice is to cut off contact, allow the child to be adopted by someone else, or whatever. Not force an abortion. My one friend with the unplanned pregnancy experienced the "sperm provider" cutting off contact. It was deplorable. She even tried to get the courts to force child support and it didn't work. Given that they were around 37 years old when it occurred (not, like, teenagers), the "sperm provider" was fairly well vilified even by his family for not taking responsibility, but apparently it's his right not to do so. 

BabyFruit Ticker