Parenting

Is a sub urban house better than a city apartment for the child?

Hi, I am a single parent of a 1 year old daughter. I am from Toronto, Canada. I am living in a small apartment on rent. I feel like it is better to move to the suburbs in a good neighborhood for the growth and development of my daughter. She is growing fast, I should be able to give her space. I also read somewhere, quite some time before, that growing up in a house in a good neighborhood is better for the mental and physical development of the child.

If I'm to buy a house, then I will have to get a mortgage loan. I think most people are buying their house on a loan these days. I looked at the rate chart ( https://www.butlermortgage.ca/rates/ ) And I can't figure out what to do. Maybe I have to see a financial planner. But, before I spend my savings on the house, do you think a child would benefit growing up in a quiet neighborhood than the busy city apartment? After all , It's on rent and I have to buy a house sooner or later.

I need to hear what you have to say about it. Please share your wisdom.

Re: Is a sub urban house better than a city apartment for the child?

• I personally prefer a house but DH & I are staying in our apartment because any house we could get now would be in a bad area and worse for our baby when it's born and growing up.

I'd look at the safety of the areas, schools, etc and factor that into your decision as well.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Hi!
    I'd love to hear about a study that says a house and good neighborhood is better for development. I have to read that to believe it. 
    Good neighborhood, I can understand. You want to be safe when going outside. But, if you live in a good area of a city, I can't see how that would be harmful. I look forward to taking my child to the public park down the block from my condo and letting him or her interact with other children. I look forward to being a bus ride away from the public zoo and multiple world-class museums, rather than a long train ride requiring a full-day trip (like the suburbanites). I look forward to my child growing up among racial and economic diversity, rather than in a homogeneous suburb. My city is known for not having good public schools, although there are a few in the system that are among the best in the state. A lot of child development still has to do with good parenting, not just the school, so there's that to consider.

If you're nervous about buying a home now, don't do it. Who says you "have" to sooner or later? Take a fiscally responsible route, whatever that may be (i.e. renting and saving a nest egg / for college / for retirement), and focus on giving your child love and attention.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it matter in the early stages anyway.  I lived in an apartment with my mom when I was little; then we got a row house in the city.  Thousands of kids grow up in cities, in apartments and are not deprived.  The type of house you have does not dictate the type of parent you are.

Smart homebuying decisions require planning.  If you think you'd like to buy a house in the suburbs, start researching now.  Save up a solid down payment.  Your newborn will have no concept of where you live.

If you do feel that you need to move immediately, you can also look at renting a house in the suburbs.  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • slssls member
    You don't necessarily have to go to a financial planner to buy a house. All the Big 5 banks give home loans, and if you have multiple products with them (chequeing, savings, loans), they give discounts for getting more. They'll be happy to run numbers for you (for free--just make an appointment), but also shop around to see what's the best.

If you don't have a down payment, you'll want to start saving ASAP. And if you have bad credit, it's trickier.
    Me: 35 | DH: 46
    MMC: 09/13 (9 weeks)
    DD: Born 8/22/14
    Babies #2 & 3: Due dates 6/9/17
    And my other love: writing
  • I'm all for raising a city kid! I live in Boston, and honestly never want to leave. There are so many more cultural opportunities in the city for your child growing up - they will not want for development! Parks, playgrounds, museums, and all the different cultures that a city attracts. If your main concern is child development, I think your child will be successful as long as you take an active role - regardless of where you live.