March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 1/2

Re: Ask a STM week 1/2

• @disneybaby84 I might not be most qualified (I'm not... antisocial, but I like being home. :) ) but especially in the early months, forgetting a burp rag was a disaster. I always had diapers and wipes in there. Only a change of clothes if we were going to be out more than a couple hours (but I can count on one hand the number of blow outs DS had. I'm sure I'm in for a surprise this time). 
    As he got older, snacks could always be found in the diaper bag. Extra formula and bottles. I was pretty bare-minimum with our diaper bag. Probably be the same this time around. 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Loading the player...
  • kiyamurph said:
    My STM's, I'd like an idea of what you ladies consider is important and not important to put in a diaper bag.
    Important:
    - a change of clothes (I learned this the very hard way)
    - the obvious stuff like diapers, wipes, changing pad, rash cream if needed
    - a couple of pacifiers if you plan to use them (will need more than one since they constantly fall on the floor. If you have Soothies, they fall and then bounce and roll 100 feet. Annoying!).
    - sippy cup when baby gets bigger
    - a change of socks when baby is small. Socks have a way of magically disappearing.

I wouldn't say that there's anything that's not important truthfully. If you feel like you need it, put it in there.
    This is exactly what our diaper bag looks like for a newborn. And snacks when they are older. 
    Now with my 2 year my only necessities are snacks, water, diaper and wipes, and usually I just throw those in my purse.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Newborn outing necessities: diaper(s), wipes, light blanket (use as nursing cover, to lay to change or extra warmth) change of clothes in case of blowout. 

older-I now don't leave without minimally : 1diaper, wipes, snack, cup with water
  • When my kiddo was a newborn, all I really needed was a swaddle blanket (to triple as a burp cloth, nursing cover, and sugar cover), diapers and wipes, and a change of clothes. Sometimes if I was trying to look nice I put a change of shirt for me too just in case. And of course all my purse stuff (wallet, chapstick, keys, etc). 

As a toddler my sons bad is considerably heavier, lol. Still change of clothes, diapers and wipes, but also includes a snack, a book, water, a big towel bib (often used as a towel and not a bib!), sunglasses, a nonrolling toy......plus my purse stuff. :) For a trip to the grocery store I can get away with water and a diaper in my purse, but any trip more extensive and I'm going in prepared! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 This makes me so mad and sad. Are the owners of your company by any chance Moms? Can you level with them and discuss that you are primary breadwinner, but you also feel you need a few additional weeks for your new baby? As a Mom, I would never force someone to come back to work after 3 weeks. Perhaps you could WFH and do more desk work for the weeks after you return?

I didn't have a c section, and recovery wise would have been ok going back after a few weeks, but I would have been really bitter that I couldn't spend that time with my new baby.

I only took 8 weeks off, but was able to WFH and take some important calls and whatnot during the second 4 weeks and I think it really helped me not resent my company. 
  • Do people actually use their baby monitors in the beginning?  When, if at all, have you started using them?  We have one on our registry so hopefully someone buys it for us but I'm wondering if this is really a necessity in the beginning or can wait a few months?...
  • @Goodmorning12 not in the very beginning because they need so much care you'll be around a lot. We used ours when she transitioned to her crib overnight around 8 weeks, or for nap time if we had to leave the room. I liked that our monitor has 2 receivers, one that stayed put in our bedroom and one we carried around. If she was napping I could carry one with me to weed the garden or whatever and not lose the one we needed for overnights.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @disneybaby84 Whatever you use is fine. I have a friend who would only use Vaseline and swore by it. We liked the butt paste simply because it's fun to say. We also liked A&D ointment the best. Whatever you do, don't use powder. That stuff is terrible for you and baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Goodmorning12 We didn't use ours in the beginning since my little guy slept in our room for 6 months. When he transitioned to the crib we started using it and we still use it at 2 years. 
  • We use A&D too, sometimes just generic petroleum jelly. I find A&D works amazing on my dry eczema spots on my hands, too :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thinking of registry items/things I am on the fence about... Worth it to get a sleep sack (or a few)? I am not too optimistic on my swaddling capabilities and all of the blankets I have received thus far (hand-me downs) are too small.
  • kjd291kjd291 member
    edited January 2017
    KateM said:
    Thinking of registry items/things I am on the fence about... Worth it to get a sleep sack (or a few)? I am not too optimistic on my swaddling capabilities and all of the blankets I have received thus far (hand-me downs) are too small.
    I'd say it depends a lot on your sleep situation/room temp!  We keep our house pretty cold to save oil, so we used sleep sack type things for our little one to keep her warm enough during winter months. (Since when they are little blankets are not recommended))  so we had flannel sleep sacks pj like clothes (not the ones you wrap tight.
    The sacks with Velcro swaddles? just will depend a lot on your baby. You won't know till their here if they like being swaddled tight or not. Everyone seems to swear by wrapping tight, but my DD hated being wrapped up and would only sleep stretched out. So you'll find out what babies preference is pretty fast.
    SO: your call!  register and if someone buys it for you to try out cool! If baby uses it and does well or can only sleep with one, then grab a few more??
  • @datalover13 swaddling until college would have been tricky
  • kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited January 2017
    @katem I agree, it's going to depend on baby, but IMO a sleep sack is something that can wait to be purchased until you find out how baby likes to sleep. We did end up using sleep sacks (and still do at 2 years old) when we transitioned our son to the crib. Since babies have the startle reflex until about 4 or 5 months, a sleep sack wouldn't have helped with that and he would've constantly woke himself up, so we swaddled until 5 months. I don't recommend a sleep sack until the startle reflex stage is over. We have 3 sleep sacks, all from Baby Deedee. They make light and heavier sacks. I'm just now thinking about switching him to a blanket at night since he's now getting a little too big for their biggest sack. Sleep sacks are great though since little ones tend to kick their covers off and/or move all over the place.

ETA: in short, feel free to put sleep sacks on your registry, but I would keep the tags on or a gift receipt or whatever in case it's something that you don't think you'll use in the end.

ETA again: I just reread your post and it sounds like you're talking more about swaddles. Total fail on my part. Disregard everything I just said above! Ha!
  • I hated the Velcro swaddle sacks because they were so noisy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We literally swaddled DD2 until she was TEN MONTHS OLD!  She wouldn't tolerate being put down any other way.  Of course it's important to make sure their hips are loose, to prevent hip dysplasia.  Even to this day, as a two year old, she puts herself to sleep on her belly with arms tucked under her chest and I'm convinced it's because she still wants to feel wrapped up.

Both my kids needed to be swaddled in order to sleep.  We loved the Halo sleep sacks with velcro swaddling here
  • @katem I bought like 4 velcro swaddling sacks... and of course my DD did not want anything to do with being swaddled. Maybe this next kid will use them? Also if you're looking to swaddle with blankets the regular receiving blankets do kind of suck as swaddles, get the aden and anais ones, they are larger and square making it easier. 
  • I like the Carter's soft blankets...they are stretchy and easy to use :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first had to be swaddled with one arm out or she couldn't sleep until 6mo. Second had to be swaddled till about 9 months, I used the Summer infant velcro swaddles for both and then my 9mo. switched to the zip up sleep sack with velcro swaddles to wean him off of it. Receiving blankets do suck to swaddle with, just terrible unless your baby is like 4lbs. Aden + Anais and Carters are best! 
  • The velcro annoys me too, especially in the beginning... going to check these out this time around, I think, even though they sound short lived.

https://www.amazon.com/SwaddleMe-Pod-2-PK-Dino-Trucks/dp/B0107CYKJ2/ref=pd_sim_75_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0107CYKJ2&pd_rd_r=3EA7R631BJR45B39HGVE&pd_rd_w=U1Cdx&pd_rd_wg=ZFDil&psc=1&refRID=3EA7R631BJR45B39HGVE
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • anyone ever use the woombie? i know people that swear by it. DS hated being swaddled and could literally escape out of anything. Someone gave me one for this munchkin though so I'll probably give it a shot
  • anyone ever use the woombie? i know people that swear by it. DS hated being swaddled and could literally escape out of anything. Someone gave me one for this munchkin though so I'll probably give it a shot
    My son started squirming out of his swaddled to at like 2 months, no matter how tight his arms were. I stopped swaddling then because I was so worried about him getting the blanket over his face! (though the Aden and anais one's are nice and breathable, it still freaked me out)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • DD was born in early August so the timing worked out well that it was warmer when we just did regular swaddling with the Velcro blankets, and then she transitioned to the sleepsacks when it got colder. So, yes we used both and it worked for us well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    I had the knockoff brand for my son when he was newborn- he loved it and when he grew out of it I think he just decided to quit sleeping altogether in protest! It works great cause its lightweight and you can layer clothes underneath it or go with just a diaper! Highly recommend and wish I had one for LO! 
  • thanks guys for the input!
  • We used the swaddling sacks some, but DD was such a peanut I had a hard time getting them tight enough. We mostly used muslin swaddle blankets because I could get them snug enough and I liked that I could use them a bunch of different ways, so I didn't feel bad about paying the money for them. I ended up recently buying muslin by the yard because DD really likes the material of her muslin blankets, but she can't curl up in them any more.

Another reason to hold off on too many of anything until you figure out what baby likes. DD is a hot blooded little thing, so I had some thicker swaddle sacks that she never really used because it was just too hot. That is probably also why she liked the muslin blankets so well.
  • Some good advice! I have some fleece swaddles on my registry but I got a bunch of Aden and anais muslin swaddles when BRU had their Black Friday sale so I'm glad those will be put to good use!
    married 10.10.14 @ Turks & Caicos
    yorkie mama to Oscar
    FTM EDD 3.12.17
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • C25C25 member
    Anyone every tried the "OllieSwaddle"? I just got one, it's Velcro but opens at the bottom (has an elastic band to tie it closed) so you don't have to undo the Velcro to change their diaper. I heard a lot of great things about it and got it on a pretty good sale so I'm hoping it works for this baby! 
  • Dumb question... should I be watching a birthing video? If so, best resources to do so?
  • C25 said:
    Anyone every tried the "OllieSwaddle"? I just got one, it's Velcro but opens at the bottom (has an elastic band to tie it closed) so you don't have to undo the Velcro to change their diaper. I heard a lot of great things about it and got it on a pretty good sale so I'm hoping it works for this baby! 
    I made it routine to change my lo's diaper at every feed. I wanted to unswaddle him so bed get a full feed and sleep longer :) 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • KateM said:
    Dumb question... should I be watching a birthing video? If so, best resources to do so?
    I never searched any out and I figured it out. :)
    Although I did watch Business of Being Born which has births in it. 
    Just don't watch A Baby Story.:/
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • STM's,  after baby when did you start noticing weight loss in places other than belly?  Also, when did you begin any mild/moderate exercising?
  • Anyone use a white noise machine/noise maker? Trying to decide if I should put one/ which one I should put on my registry. 
  • KateM said:
    Dumb question... should I be watching a birthing video? If so, best resources to do so?
    I never searched any out and I figured it out. :)
    Although I did watch Business of Being Born which has births in it. 
    Just don't watch A Baby Story.:/
    I also liked Business of being born (on Netflix)!  
    I just searched "natural labor" on YouTube with my first and watched a few. Personally helped me feel more prepared and not as mystified by the process, but there's no NEED to watch anything unless you want to and feel like it would be helpful to you.
  • @Jilliants my DD loves her gentle giraffe. It's a stuffed animal/white noise machine. Good for traveling as well :smile:
  • Jilliants said:
    Anyone use a white noise machine/noise maker? Trying to decide if I should put one/ which one I should put on my registry. 
    We have one--just got a 15buck thing from amazon. No need for anything fancy. 

Not very necessary for the first few months (in my opinion) because most newborns sleep like... well: newborns! for the first 3ish months - sleeping anywhere and on the go, and through the noise.  
    After that--depends on your house and your kid! I have friends with kids who sleep like pros no matter where and with whatever noise-I personally have a very light sleeper and love the white noise because our house is small, old, and echoey : without it she doesn't sleep as well, with it I can do louder chores downstairs during naptime and not need to worry about waking her.
  • Jilliants said:
    Anyone use a white noise machine/noise maker? Trying to decide if I should put one/ which one I should put on my registry. 
    We never used an actual noise machine, just a loud fan. We still use it for our 2 year old. 

• STM's,  after baby when did you start noticing weight loss in places other than belly?  Also, when did you begin any mild/moderate exercising?
    I think it was about a few weeks pp before I lost the initial water weight and such. I was soooo puffy towards the end with my son and I had horrible swelling in my feet and ankles. Even though I breastfed for 2 years, the weight didn't just fall off. Some women can lose weight easily just with breastfeeding, but this isn't true for everyone. I used to play roller derby, so I started skating again 2 weeks pp.