February 2017 Moms
Options

HELPP Syndrome--Delivering 5 weeks early

I know I haven't been active on this board, I've been mostly a lurker honestly. However, I feel compelled to share a little of my story today in an attempt to help anyone who may be unsure of their symptoms and encourage you to get help. 

Today I am 34+4. About 2 weeks ago (right before Christmas) I noticed a rash on my belly. It stayed for a day so I called my OB and they checked me out. We ruled out cholestasis and decided that it could be PUPPS but there was nothing more I could do. We also noticed my BP was slightly higher on the bottom than usual. 120/90 roughly. They asked that I take my BP at home twice daily and if it stayed over 90 to come in. 2 days later, the 23rd, it was. So, I came to L&D and was monitored with an NST. My BP went down, but I now had hypertension (not pre-e yet) and needed to come in if the bottom number spiked above 100. It was recommended at this point to do weekly BPPs. The 29th I did my first BPP and passed with 8/8.

Over the next week I noticed that I had this pain around the top of my bump. I really thought baby had flipped. It was uncomfortable, I couldn't sleep through it, but it went away after awhile each day. I thought either baby had flipped and was breech or my ribs were just stretching. 

Tuesday I had a growth US and BPP. Everything looked perfect, even my 128/85 blood pressure! 

Wednesday night that my BP was 130/100. I decided to wait till the morning to call, chalking it up to a long day. Well, my BP in the morning was 130/115. I called...got told to come in at 11:45 and that I would be monitored. Both my OB and I expected I would need BP meds but that was all. To date, I had no real symptoms. No headaches, no vision changes, no outrageous swelling or weight gain. I came in on my least swollen day, feeling slightly dizzy but ok although I did have that pain in the rib area AND my BP was 130/92. Well within their range.However, the doctor trusted me and wanted closer observation.

They monitored me and took some blood. Turns out, that rib pain I had been feeling on and off for awhile was really my liver failing. My blood platelets were extremely low and it was becoming a serious life or death situation. We live in a rural area and Flight For Life was sent to transport me to a hospital in Denver for better care. Within 6 hours I went from a normal day, to wrapped up, bedridden, flying in a helicopter to save my life as well as baby's. 

Right now--I'm in the best hands and awaiting the arrival of my little one.

What I hope anyone who reads this gets from this story is to trust your instinct. YOU know your body. YOU know your normal. If something feels off, advocate for yourself. Even if you feel dumb. Your small gut feeling could mean the difference between some major life choices. HELPP and pre-eclampsia can develop so incredibly quickly that you didn't see it coming. Ultimately, looking back at the last few weeks I knew something was really changing in my body but I just wanted to believe it was due to the "terrible last month." Now I'm glad I trusted myself and called. I am also eternally grateful that my doctor trusted me and listened.If I empower just one of you, then this post was so worth it!
Me (26) DH (28)
Married 6.22.13
Hoping for a Herd Linky
4/15--TTC #1
12/15--IF testing
3/16--Dx Unexplained IF
Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone cycle
Cancelled due to cysts. Started 3 weeks of BCP.
4/16--Cute Ute! Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI+Progesterone TI.
Cancelled-no response
5/16--Hemmorhagic cyst and other cyst discovered.
No medicated cycle. MRI scheduled to rule out
septate uterus.
6/16--Septum discovered. Consultation for surgery.
Surprise BFP 6/8/16--EDD 2/13/17
Kole David--1.7.17--Tiny but Mighty, born at 34+5 after HELLP syndrome
Chart Stalk Me

Re: HELPP Syndrome--Delivering 5 weeks early

• Options
    Thank you for sharing your story, even if you're not a regular (I do recognize your name though). I'm glad you're getting the care you need now and hope that everything goes smoothly from here on out for both you and your baby. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, so glad you are getting taken care of. Good luck with your delivery and hope everything goes well. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing this. Praying for a safe delivery for you and your LO!
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! Sending you positive thoughts and best wishes for you, your little one, and your family!
  • Options
    That's so scary!! I'm glad you're getting the treatment you need now. Please keep us updated on the baby too!!!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    That's really scary! So sorry you're going through this but I'm glad you kept pushing the issue and are now getting the threatment you need. Best wishes for a safe delivery for you and LO!
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story and I am so glad that you are under a doctor's care now and that they've recognized what's going on. Please keep us posted and I will hope for a very safe delivery for you and baby.
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I recognise your sn too!! Thank you so much for sharing with us, especially when I'm sure you have a lot on your mind! I'm glad you are being taken care of and monitored. I'm wishing you and your LO a safe delivery! And yes keep us updated! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @paigeed FX for a safe delivery! Take care of yourself, and keep us updated :)
    Me: 31  H: 32
    Married: 10/10
    EDD: 8/27/16  MMC 1/16
    Rainbow Boy: 2/04/17
    TTC: 4/18 BFP: 1/2/19
    EDD: 9/6/19
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @paigeed you are so right about trusting your instincts. Praying for your courage and peace and a smooth delivery and recovery. 

I had HELLP with my first --  scariest trauma story I've got. Like you, my symptoms presented atypically and it was severe and urgent. Here if you need to talk platelet transfusions or mag or anything. For what it's worth, the recovery was fast right after baby was born.

Keep us updated! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! It's really important to know the symptoms of pre-e and HELLP. My sister had HELLP syndrome in August (at 25 weeks!), and from a bystander's perspective, I can say it was really, really scary to witness. Her symptoms presented a little more normally, but came on FAST - serious swelling in her hands and feet on a Wednesday, chest pain and nausea on Friday. Went into the ER that night with BP of 190/99. They had her on magnesium, gave her steroid shots, and delivered the baby two days later via c-section, at 25.5 weeks (baby is doing VERY well, now, though - she is quite a chub!).

I am so glad that you are under a doctor's care, at a hospital that can handle your situation. Sending good thoughts for a smooth delivery and quick recovery for you!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story!! I'm sending you good vibes for a safe and smooth delivery!

So often people can be intimidated by health care professionals and not advocate for their health. We truly do know our bodies best. I'm glad that you went with your gut, and had a supportive doctor that trusted you!! With my first I knew something was wrong near the end and insisted on bloowork when the doctor told me I was fine. It turned out, I had Cholestasis and I had to be induced within days. This pregnancy I got a new doctor after the same one misdiagnosed me. 

Always trust your gut, even if you're wrong, it's better to be safe than sorry! 
    Keep us updated on you and your little one. <3 
  • Options
    I recognize you! So glad that you are safe and in good hands and best wishes for the arrival of your LO. 
  • Options
    Oh how scary. So glad you were so proactive and attentive. Best of everything for you and LO! 
    Married: 2011
    TTC #1: 3/2016
    Me 39 - DH 44
    BFP 5/27/16 EDD 1/30/17
    DD born 2/3/17
  • Options
    Positive thoughts sent your way!  So scary to have to go through that. Your baby is lucky to have a mama that is a good advocate for herself and her baby's health! Keep us updated. 
  • Options
    That's crazy! I'm glad to hear that your being monitored in a good hospital now. Your story is definitely a good reminder to listen to your body. You never know how quickly things can change until they do. Hope everything goes smooth for you from here on out and delivery and recovery goes well.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your story! 
    So glad you were able to get the treatment you need in time & hoping for the best possible outcome for you & your little one! Xxx
  • Options
    I recognize you, too. Glad you and LO are now where you need to be to get taken care of! 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    +1 for recognizing you! I'm so glad you're getting the care you need. Best wishes to you and your LO!
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing -- it's so easy to explain away / minimize symptoms, the reminder to trust our guts and speak up is important. 

Like everyone else, so glad that you are in good hands and wishing you and baby all the very best. ❤
  • Options
    @paigeed, I hope you and your baby will be okay. I'm sorry you have to go through this.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the arrival of your son!! My nephew's name is Kole too. :) I'm glad he is doing well.

praying for a smooth and quick recovery on your part. It's good to know you're in good hands. Keep us updated! 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    @paigeed I'm so happy to hear your son is doing well. Congratulations!!  I will be praying for you to have a quick recovery from this, and that you can see and hold your sweet baby soon! I hope you continue to keep us updated on you and your baby.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations @paigeed! I'm glad to hear Kole is doing well! My Ella was born early on Dec. 21 and was 19 in and 4 lbs 15 oz lol. I hope you have a quick and easy recovery mama!
  • Options
    @paigeed Thank you for sharing your story and congrats on your new LO! I'm so glad you had providers that listened to you.  I hope you have a speedy recovery and get some baby snuggles soon!!
  • Options
    @paigeed congratulations, and all our hopes and prayers for a swift recovery.
  • Options
    @paigeed I'm so glad Kole is doing well, and pray for a swift recovery for you. I'm so glad you were able to listen to your instincts. 
  • Options
    @paigeed, congratulations on your baby boy! I hope your recovery is quick and easy and you get to see him soon. 
    Married: 12/2015
    Me: 37 - H: 39
    TTC#1: 01/2016
    BFP: 06/18/2016 - EDD: 02/20/2017 - Born: 01/27/2017

• Options
    Congrats on your baby boy! This story still just amazes me with how quickly everything went. It's a good thing you trusted your instincts. FX for a quick recovery for you so you can see your little boy asap.
    BFP #1: DD born on 08.25.12 BFP #2: 09/08/15 miscarried at 6w BFP #3: DD2 born on 02.07.17
  • Options
    @paigeed Congrats on baby Kole!  I hope you have a speedy recovery and baby has a short NICU stay. We are on day 10 in the NICU here and those first days of not being able to snuggle your sweet babe are the hardest!  Prayers for you and your family!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I hope your recovery is smooth and the NICU stay is short for Kole!
  • Options
    Congratulations and welcome to the world baby Kole! Wishing you a speedy recovery and a short NICU stay for your sweet boy.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your baby boy, and I hope the doctors can help you get back to normal soon.   I can't believe how quickly it happened, thank you for sharing your story with us. 
    Married - 7/29/06
    Ben and Maggie - 4/10/09 
    Mia - 6/16/11
    Surprise! due 2/23/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Congrats! Take care of yourself and keep us posted! 
  • Options
    Congrats on baby Kole @paigeed! I hope you recover quickly. Please update and let us know when you are stable & doing ok!
  • Options
    What a sweetie you got there @paigeed !! I am so sorry for the terrible time you have had. But I'm so happy for you that you got to see and help with your LO!! :) it sounds like yesterday, you made a lot of personal milestones, I hope that continues for you today. FX that all the lab results come back looking good. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am so glad you were able to reach some milestones and see Kole yesterday @paigeed! He is absolutely adorable! I hope both of you continue to have a good recovery and are able to go home soon :)
  • Options
    @paigeed he's absolutely beautiful, and I'm so glad to hear you're improving!  Congratulations on reaching some new milestones.  I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly.