March 2017 Moms

Ask a STM week 1/2

New Year, new questions!

Re: Ask a STM week 1/2

• I've heard of post natal vitamins. Is there a point I switch from prenatal vitamins to post natal or is either vitamin okay after baby?
  • As far as I know prenatal is fine. I think mine actually says for pregnant and nursing women.
  • Loading the player...
  • I take prenatal vitamins all the time. My primary care doc said they are good for a multivitamin for women. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I take prenatal vitamins all the time. My primary care doc said they are good for a multivitamin for women. 
    This ^^ I know women in their fifties that still take "prenatal" labeled vitamins.  No need to switch, but you should definitely stick with taking it--breastfeeding/postpartum recovery having all your nutrients is just as important and when preggo!
  • Any diaper cream you STM's hate or have heard bad news about?
  • Is waiting until I'm 34 weeks pregnant to set up the nursery as horrible an idea as my friends (who don't have any kids...) are telling me? Or should we be fine? 
    We've got a carseat, bassinet, pack n play, handful of samples of diapers/wipes/ointment, and some onesies already but beyond that I was going to wait until (to be blunt) after my shower to make large purchases and set things up, which means we'd be doing the bulk of it at 34/35 weeks. We're not painting or seriously decorating anything, all the furniture on our list delivers in 2 days to 1 week, and I'll have help from DH and two or three other family members as well. 
    Am I safe or am I asking for trouble here? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Is waiting until I'm 34 weeks pregnant to set up the nursery as horrible an idea as my friends (who don't have any kids...) are telling me? Or should we be fine? 
    We've got a carseat, bassinet, pack n play, handful of samples of diapers/wipes/ointment, and some onesies already but beyond that I was going to wait until (to be blunt) after my shower to make large purchases and set things up, which means we'd be doing the bulk of it at 34/35 weeks. We're not painting or seriously decorating anything, all the furniture on our list delivers in 2 days to 1 week, and I'll have help from DH and two or three other family members as well. 
    You are so safe! 
    Even if baby came early and you didn't have it set up, as long as you have the necessities you are so fine. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Nope. I got probably 5 different types at my baby shower. Some worked better than others but didn't have a problem with any. There are regulations on that stuff. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    You are so safe! 
    Even if baby came early and you didn't have it set up, as long as you have the necessities you are so fine. 
    Super fine! I didn't have a shower till 36wks, bought at house the same day i was induced (HAHA) and didn't have a nursery set up till baby was a month old. Didn't even end up using it till she was 4mo. You're fine-don't listen to your friends and don't stress!
  • Does anyone have any experience with oral Vitamin K? Or is anyone planning on doing it this time around? 
  • @sunshine507 you'll be fine!  have fun setting up! <3
  • I've been taking prenatal vitamins for something like 2.5 years, lol: first pregnancy, tgen because I was nursing, and now pregnancy again. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • wintersongwintersong member
    edited January 2017
    Is waiting until I'm 34 weeks pregnant to set up the nursery as horrible an idea as my friends (who don't have any kids...) are telling me? Or should we be fine? 
    Um, as long as you have a car seat, a safe place for baby to sleep, and a way to feed baby you are fine. Peeps need to cool their jets. (Though painting is pretty annoying, I personally would do that on the earlier side.)

ETA what a first world problem to not have a nursery done. My baby doesn't even have a nursery. Or a bedroom. She'll be sleeping with us probably into toddlerhood and then moving on with big brother who will be preschool aged. It's safer to keep baby in your room until 6 months because it lowers sids risks anyway. You can always drop that knowledge bomb on them. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Um, as long as you have a car seat, a safe place for baby to sleep, and a way to feed baby you are fine. Peeps need to cool their jets. (Though painting is pretty annoying, I personally would do that on the earlier side.)

ETA what a first world problem to not have a nursery done. My baby doesn't even have a nursery. Or a bedroom. She'll be sleeping with us probably into toddlerhood and then moving on with big brother who will be preschool aged. It's safer to keep baby in your room until 6 months because it lowers sids risks anyway. You can always drop that knowledge bomb on them. :)
    Ya all of this. With DS I thought I NEEDED his room to be done so far in advance. He didn't go in it at all until he was 6 months old. I am team green this time around so nothing at all will be set up until baby gets here. All you need is a car seat, somewhere for them to sleep, a way for them to eat, diapers to poop in, and something to wear. haha. 
  • When did you first feel safe/recovered enough to take baby out of the house, either on a short car trip or just a walk in the stroller? Guess it depends on the weather, hopefully we will all have a pleasant spring with these March babes to get outside with them! When do they first go to the pediatrician after you bring them home? 
  • jenny0228 said:
    When did you first feel safe/recovered enough to take baby out of the house, either on a short car trip or just a walk in the stroller? Guess it depends on the weather, hopefully we will all have a pleasant spring with these March babes to get outside with them! When do they first go to the pediatrician after you bring them home? 
    I felt comfortable enough to take my babies out after their first doc appointment which is usually 1-2 weeks after birth! :) 
  • @jenny0228 I had to go back to the doctor a couple of days after I went home. We took our first walk outside in the carrier about a week after he was born, and then we had to attend a small family wedding when he was 2 weeks old. By March here in my part of the midwest, the worst of the winter illnesses are gone, but I try to go out earlier in the morning. I took DS to Target for the first time between a week and two weeks old I think. It was a major milestone.  :D (But I was also having people drive me... couldn't drive for 2 weeks after c-section.)
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I am wondering about breast pumps. I don't think I will be needing it for a ton of milk at a time. I teach ballroom dancing and would only be gone from baby for two hours at most some days. My question is can I get away with a cheaper manual pump? or are they hard to use and I should go with an electric one?

• jenny0228 said:
    When did you first feel safe/recovered enough to take baby out of the house, either on a short car trip or just a walk in the stroller? Guess it depends on the weather, hopefully we will all have a pleasant spring with these March babes to get outside with them! When do they first go to the pediatrician after you bring them home? 
    We took our little guy out with us to a restaurant when he was 12 days old. I left him strapped in his car seat and right next to me so no one would touch him. We took him on his first stroller walk after he was about a week old. We probably would've gone sooner, but he didn't come home from the hospital until after 5 days. He was also born at the end of May, so cold and flu season was over and it was nice and warm. I think this time around I'll take this one on walks in the double stroller, but I may wait a little longer to go to a crowded place like a restaurant since it'll still be cold and flu season in mid March.
    For ped appointments, they usually see them within 2 weeks of birth. I'm sure there's a typical schedule out there somewhere in internet land. I can't remember off the top of my head how often my little guy was seen in the beginning, but it was pretty frequent.
  • jenny0228 said:
    It was way snowy when my son was born...we web for walks as soonasit reached the sixties, maybe a month? 

You generally see your pediatrician right away. Mine didn't have rights to practice at my hospital, and my son was jaundiced, so we went literally the next morning. I think they would want to see all babies at a week old to weigh them. 

You can seriously take baby out whenever you feel ready. I was ready after about a day of rest at home. I avoided plaes where people would get in his face though. So, grocery store was okay. Chuch where all the old ladies would try to touch his face was not. I probably took him to church at about 6 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am wondering about breast pumps. I don't think I will be needing it for a ton of milk at a time. I teach ballroom dancing and would only be gone from baby for two hours at most some days. My question is can I get away with a cheaper manual pump? or are they hard to use and I should go with an electric one?
    My manual pump never worked for me...it was easier to and express. I recommebd just getting an electric one that is covered by your insurance. I didn't use it much at first but was grateful for it after a few months. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jenny0228 said:
    I was out and about within the week she was born, trips to target or just out and about. I am sure I'll take this baby out right off the bat as well, as my toddler won't want to sit around our house.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited January 2017
    I am wondering about breast pumps. I don't think I will be needing it for a ton of milk at a time. I teach ballroom dancing and would only be gone from baby for two hours at most some days. My question is can I get away with a cheaper manual pump? or are they hard to use and I should go with an electric one?
    Most definitely get a double electric pump. You should be able to get one through insurance. It's great to have even if you think you may not use it much. A manual pump is great for those in a pinch moments, like long car rides and such, but you don't want to manually pump all the time. I can't even begin to tell you how much of a hand workout you get! Trust me, you'll be relieved to have an electric pump vs manual.

I loved my manual pump. No cords tethering you to a wall, no batteries, very little to set up. I used it exclusively for 6 months until I went back to work - and got a pretty decent freezer stash with it (200 oz.). The Medela Harmony was very ergonomic so my hand never got tired. I am a huge advocate of manual pumps! Even if insurance covers an electric, I would buy a manual out of pocket - so worth it!  It's important to always keep the seals very clean so you don't lose suction, but other than that it worked great for me!
    For regular use, they're all fine.

When baby is sick and you are dealing with a severe diaper rash - we use Calmoseptine. It's available at Walgreens in the adult section. Our pedi recommended applying it thick "like icing a cake." It's good for times like when baby is on antibiotics and has a really bad GI reaction.
  • If you plan on BF full time then you need a decent pump!  Invest in an electric/battery one.  I was off work for 12 weeks and pumped all the time even though I also BF my DD.  You will get engorged.....need to store milk, and pump if the baby sleeps past a feeding time etc..

So def get a good pump and some milk storage bags.
    Both DD and I have super sensitive skin and got a rash from Desitan and Bordeaux's. We use Aquaphor and prescription Nystatin for really severe yeast rashes. 
  • the only "diaper cream" I've ever used is coconut oil. Worked well for us as he never had a diaper rash.
  • C25C25 member
    So this is my third baby but my FIRST girl. Any hygiene tips for diaper changes etc? I know I'm a female, haha, but I haven't had to change a female diaper ever and it's a lot easier I think to take care of my little boys. :)
  • C25 said:
    So this is my third baby but my FIRST girl. Any hygiene tips for diaper changes etc? I know I'm a female, haha, but I haven't had to change a female diaper ever and it's a lot easier I think to take care of my little boys. :)
    Wipe front to back and make sure you get in all the little folds down there at least twice a week when she's newborn and pooping all the time! As she gets older it takes just a good thorough wipe and the rest gets clean in the bath! From my experience anyway 
  • for those STM who are also working moms... how quickly after childbirth could you safely return to work if you HAD to push it and return as soon as possible? I don't qualify for maternity leave (or short term disability or anything else), so I am only allowed 3 weeks of accrued sick time and vacation time before my job is in jeopardy... Do you feel you could have safely returned to work after 3 weeks? Or do I need to beg my boss to hold my job for me if I take unpaid leave? If so, how much time is truly necessary? 

As much as I desperately WANT to spend as much time as necessary with my LO, I am the breadwinner of my family, so putting my employment in jeopardy is not a situation we can afford... 
  • C25C25 member
    @JustAnotherUsername16 what do you mean by "safely" return to work exactly? 

I think you can do it after three weeks. My biggest concern would be sleep depravation on your end. It seems to hit between 10-14 days and I can't imagine having to get myself together and go perform at work after 3 weeks. You might lose your mind! 

I know everyone heals differently but I was fine to get up and go after 3 weeks. If you have a c-section (I have no experience) I know it takes a lot longer to heal..so that might be an issue if that happens. 

Besides worrying about sleep exhaustion/ overwhelming hormones, I really think you would be just fine 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 First, big hugs to you. That's not a fun situation. 

Uncomplicated birth, I'd say if you have to go back after 3 weeks, you probably could. It's not ideal, and I'm not sure what kind of work (more labor intensive might be more of a struggle) but you could do it. I did have a c-section and I was moving about pretty well after 3 weeks (not 100%, but between 80 and 90). 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • I do large event planning, so some of it is desk work and some of it is hands on at the events I plan. I know part of this is complicated by the fact that I am a high-risk pregnancy due to a heart condition I have that can be affected my hormones - and I know hormones can fluctuate a great deal after childbirth. I know that my situation was pretty unique, but was hoping to get a baseline knowledge from others past experiences to build off of if that makes sense. Thanks ladies! 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 - I'm sorry your in this situation. As others have said-if you HAVE to do it, you can do it. But it will be difficult on a lot of levels.  I would highly reccomend taking a few more weeks unpaid however you can make it work. 
  • @JustAnotherUsername16 sorry to hear you can't take much time off! I agree with @C25, after 2 weeks the adrenaline wears off and then the tiredness sets in. Physically I felt fine after a week or two though, but emotionally that would have been damn near impossible for me to leave my baby after 3 weeks. In my case however, I had to send my DD to daycare at 6 weeks, and it probably would have been easier if I were leaving her with family so it all depends on your own situation. 
  • My STM's, I'd like an idea of what you ladies consider is important and not important to put in a diaper bag.
  • Ok you quadruple checked and don't qualify for job retention under FMLA?

If that's the case, I would see if you can get another week from your boss.  My mother went back to work after a month with us, as did many of my aunts, etc.  Though not ideal they all survived and were fantastic mothers.  And if that's too much, honestly, the first couple weeks back I'd put my needs ahead of my job while obviously still doing the job (aka the bare minimum).