January 2016 Moms

Sleeping with blankets?

Now that we're approaching the 1 year mark, is anyone letting babe sleep with blankets? My girl has slept with a little muslin lovie since 5 months, and then a large muslin blanket around 10 months. Now that it's cold out and she's 1 in a few days, I gave her a fleece blanket to cuddle with. Still makes me nervous though! It's not for warmth because she won't keep it on her anyways, I dress her warm for sleep in fleece footies. Anyone else? 

Re: Sleeping with blankets?

• My girl sleeps with blankets, and has for a long time--probably since she was sitting up on her own. If the girl can do flips over mama when she's in denial about sleeping, then she can get a blanket off. She's in our room, though, which probably made me more confident about the addition than if I had her away from us.
  • Both of my kids have slept with blankets since they were able to roll consistently. It came to a point of desperation because both hated their cribs, and this momma needed sleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We use blankets and pillows. We have for awhile now. Ramsey is a mommas boy and wants to be with me all the time so i had to start using them to try and get some sleep with him in his crib.
  • My daughter has slept with a blanket since about 6 months old. Its the only way i could get her to settle. Mommy needs a blanket to snuggle with too
  • My baby girl sleeps with blankets also and has for a while.  Her favorite blanket is a handknit one so I guess it's very breathable.   If you worry about breathing if they get under the blanket I'd suggest test it out yourself: cover your face with the blanket you are thinking of giving baby and see if you can still breathe ok.  If you can't, don't give that blanket.  
  • Alex sleeps with 3 blankets and has since he could roll over. If they can roll, they can have blankets. Sometimes he wiggles under them, sometimes he balls them up under himself so he can sleep with his butt in the air. My 3 yr old does the same thing.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My thought process, but please remember I'm no doctor, is that as long as they can roll consistently, if they were to get the blanket over their face, and it were to cause them distress, the body's natural reaction is to move away. I still keep a video monitor on her and the volume is turned up very loud. If she's rustles around, coughs, etc. I know about it and can check on her.
  • We use a sleep sack. I'm paranoid and also think LO would kick a blanket off. 
  • We also use a sleep sack! We let him fall asleep with a lovey but take it away before we go to sleep. It's not worth the risk for us and he stays asleep through the night. 
  • For those of you who use sleep sacks, do your LO's stand or walk in their crib? Every time Brynlee wakes up, she's standing immediately. Because she's tired (and naturally clumsy) she stumbles and hits her head on the railing all the time... I've wrapped the railing with soft, fluffy fabric to soften the hits. I always worry that a sleep sack would make that even worse with my kiddo. 
  • We use a sleepsack and LO will stand up, and move around a bit. I never even thought about it restricitng movement in the crib. I think it's pretty minimal though. I only notice it limiting her when we pull her in bed to snuggle with us awake and she gets swallowed by our bedding!

For the original question, I saw that LO's new daycare had given her a blanket for nap. At first I was like "OMG" but then I remembered they have very strict licensing guidelines to follow. They always play it safe. If they think she is old enough for a blanket, she is.
  • LO can still stand and crawl all over the place with the sleep sack, doesn't seem to limit her much just slows her down a bit :smile:
  • We use a zipadee zip I love these things. He stands and everything in it. I think safety wise he would be fine with a blanket but he has been sleeping decent so I'm scared to mix it up hahaha 
  • We use a zipadeedip zip also! It has been awesome. Thinking of making the transition to a blanket soon
  • I was wondering this the other day! I havent been brave enough to do it. I might try on her nap tomorrow and see how it goes.. I have a knit blanket I'll probably use..
  • For those of you who use sleep sacks, do your LO's stand or walk in their crib? Every time Brynlee wakes up, she's standing immediately. Because she's tired (and naturally clumsy) she stumbles and hits her head on the railing all the time... I've wrapped the railing with soft, fluffy fabric to soften the hits. I always worry that a sleep sack would make that even worse with my kiddo. 
    My guy can stand and walk with his sleep sack on.  Doesn't seem to hinder him at all!

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• They also make wearable sleepsacks with leg holes, so baby can move around. But I just prefer to put her in warm jammies.
  • We use the sleep sack and he moves around in it well. Only time it was a problem was when he was outgrowing the previous size so it was really too small. He also snuggles a thin muslin blanket. He seems very cozy in the sack and he moves a lot so I'm afraid he'd just kick off a blanket so I think we'll stay in the sleep sack until he's older