January 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM+ Week of 12/12

2»

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 12/12

• Options
    @MrsBrimstone I'll say my personal preference is to leave well enough alone.  Most all labor starts when it's supposed to start, so unless I get far past my due date and risk needing more aggressive induction methods, I don't plan to consent to any interventions. I didn't with my last pregnancy either.  If you try to trick your body into labor before you and baby are actually ready, you risk needing additional interventions to keep labor going.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsBrimstone you can always request that they not do it, but it's fairly standard practice as far as I know. With my last pregnancy I had it done 4 or 5 times. It releases prostaglandins which can soften your cervix so it dilates easier which is also why it can sometimes help labor to start. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I think I might ask the doctor to wait until we have at least hit my due date.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I never noticed loosing my plug with my first, but this time around nothing until today I lost 3 big chunks  (sorry for the TMI) but is that typically how it goes for everyone else?
  • Options
    I lost my plug over the weekend. Apparently it can still regenerate and is just a sign that your body is doing what it's suppose to. Here's to hoping labor is in the near future!
  • Options
    I lost one big chunk and then several small bits over a week at 33 weeks but it wasn't bloody so I'm assuming there is plenty more up there 
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• Options
    I had mine stripped on my due date with my LO although he was sitting really low and basically had to reach past his head to check my cervix. And ouch times ten also didn't start my labor. Ended up induced a week later. Makes me torn on having it done this time. 
  • Options
    @mjschenk I said above that I had it done 4 or 5 times during my last pregnancy, and it didn't start my labor either but I will say the second time I had it done it HURT SO BAD but all the other times I hardly noticed it was being done. 
  • Options
    MrsRahlMrsRahl member
    edited December 2016
    Forgive me if this has been asked already as I'm on mobile and can't search (this app is so glitchy.) Anyway, what are you all doing with your older kids during labor? Do husbands typically go home at night then to be with the other kids and you alone with the newborn at the hospital? The logistics of this are just hitting me and I'm a little worried my family won't be able to get off work and I will be alone in the hospital. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsRahl I have the same fear. DH said to me last night "as soon as you go into labor I'm taking H to my sisters"...wait, what? No, he's going to grandma's and you are staying with me! Husbands...so silly. I'm guessing I'll end up alone at the hospital the first night because he has expressed how much he hates the hospital. Sigh. Luckily I know how great the nurses are at my hospital so that's ok if that's what he chooses. I'm just a little disappointed he's not as excited as I am because we DO have family to watch ds1. 
  • Options
    @MrsRahl I'm sending DH to stay at home overnight with DD. I didn't really need him in the hospital, he slept through my calling his name until I threw pillows at him, he slept through nurses coming to check on me and baby. Honestly, it just made me cranky. So he'll go home and if I need help I can call a nurse. 
  • Options
    @MrsRahl I am with @katesmama0706 - I'm sending my husband home at night to be with my daughter.  I didn't really need him those first few nights in the hospital.  Plus I think it'll help my daughter if she has one of us home for bedtime and night wake ups rather than both of us disappearing for 2-3 nights and coming back  with a baby.

BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't know what we are going to do about H staying at the hospital. My older DS is 8, so he won't be as affected by a change in routine as some of your younger ones probably would, and my parents live a mile away from us so he can stay there and still get to school and everything. But if I have a c/s I'm not sure that my H will want to stay for 3 nights. Well, not that he wouldn't WANT to, but he has back problems and I don't know how he will handle sleeping on a couch or pull-out love seat bed or whatever they have, he will probably be tired and miserable so it may be better for him just to go home and get real sleep. He would never admit that though. But then I also wonder how I will ever manage twins alone after surgery, so he may just have to suck it up. 

DS: June 2008
    Married: July 2015
    BFP: 5/20/16  |  EDD: 1/28/17  |  Twin boys born 1/16/17
  • Options
    @sldp123 and @katesmama0706 I'm in the same boat as both of you.  My DH has back problems and would sleep much better at home.  He also slept through a lot after the first two births, which somewhat annoyed me, too!  I read katesmama post to him and he got kind of annoyed and said, "what guy isn't like that?!"  Lol
  • Options
    See hospitals are boring my DH will be staying with me I have enough close family that can watch ds. 
  • Options
    I'm having a csection again. My husband stayed the whole time last time, but I think I'd rather he be at home with our son at night this time and have my mother stay with me in the hospital. Husband might stay the first night and then my mother after that. I just know my mother will be more help to me than my husband if something goes wrong. 
  • Options
    @colleenkevin and @katesmama0706 for my first, there was no night nursery worker so having my husband there was a life saver. I'm terrified that will happen again if he doesn't stay!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker