June 2017 Moms
Options

Names

13»

Re: Names

• Options
    This is our first and we are Team Green. We have had a hard time with names because I feel as though the names should be unique but not too unique.. I think because growing up I had multiple girls in my class with my same name and hated that. My DH dislikes so many names stating "that's weird", "I hated a --- I knew", "--- sounds like a strippers name" haha and he feels strongly about naming our child after family members/ancestors which I don't feel as strongly about. So far we have agreed on two names we both like but I wouldn't say I am 100% in love with.

Girl: Natalie Ann (Natalie was my DH grandmothers middle name and Ann my grandmothers middle name)

Boy: Daniel Joseph (Daniel my DH middle name and Joseph my DH grandfathers name)
  • Options
    Fatima26 said:
    This is our first and we are Team Green. We have had a hard time with names because I feel as though the names should be unique but not too unique.. I think because growing up I had multiple girls in my class with my same name and hated that. My DH dislikes so many names stating "that's weird", "I hated a --- I knew", "--- sounds like a strippers name" haha and he feels strongly about naming our child after family members/ancestors which I don't feel as strongly about. So far we have agreed on two names we both like but I wouldn't say I am 100% in love with.

Girl: Natalie Ann (Natalie was my DH grandmothers middle name and Ann my grandmothers middle name)

Boy: Daniel Joseph (Daniel my DH middle name and Joseph my DH grandfathers name)
    I think both your name choices are great!  But I wouldn't classify either as unique though.  I'm assuming you live in the continental U.S.?  For example, Daniel has been in the top 10 here since the 70's or hovering just outside that.  Last year it ranked at #12.  I think Natalie is certainly less common but not unknown.  Good luck!  

Trying to find names has been making me nauseous (I know I know nauseated). I forget who recommended the babyname app that's like tinder but thanks!!  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    :( I'm thinking Harlow Marie or Harlow Ann. I've received so many negative comments from family though 
    Just keep it a secret. That's what my brother and his wife did. No one would say they don't like it once it's the baby's actual name. One would hope...
  • Options
    Porter is our DS name and Darby is top pick for a girl this time! My favorite book is the Pelican Brief and the main character's name is Darby :)

Cooper is also on our short list for a boy! Good choices! 
  • Options
    @Wearmi1 lol it was my cousin- we are in the process of trying to "mend" our relationship so I bit my tongue... I probably wouldn't have had it been anyone else or a repeat comment. And thank you!  :)
    @Ashcicle I'd be rethinking it too! Lol 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Porter is our DS name and Darby is top pick for a girl this time! My favorite book is the Pelican Brief and the main character's name is Darby :)

Cooper is also on our short list for a boy! Good choices! 
    Are we the same person? Darby was our girl name, but we are having a boy. Cooper and Porter are my top choices that DH vetoed, so we are going with Beau William.

I'm super sad we will never use Darby.
  • Options
    Ive been lucky and no one has said anything negative about our girl name! We don't have a boy name yet. Girl name is Chloe Elizabeth. After reading all this I'm going to be cautious about telling the name now!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wish that we had a rhyme or reason why we choose the names we did, but we choose solely on the fact that we liked the name. My DH's siblings took all the family names already, and my family are only getting middle names used! Haha. We choose Calvin for a boy. I was so in love with that name! However, baby ended up being a girl. So, we decided on Anya. (Pronounced "on ya") I wanted unique names, but nothing that was too out there! 
  • Options
    Sophia Marie
    Margaret Ann
    Gavin William
    Benjamin Garret

Still don't know the sex and need 4 names since it is twins

• Options
    @alm52386 Chloë is my top choice too!  Will you use the diaeresis (double dot accent)?  
  • Options
    @alm52386 Chloë is my top choice too!  Will you use the diaeresis (double dot accent)?  
    I love Chloe but I wouldn't use the diseresis in the US.  It'll be super confusing when they're learning the alphabet and typing their name will also be inconvenient (and largely impossible on web forms).
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I don't think so! I didn't even think about it!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Xath said:
    I love Chloe but I wouldn't use the diseresis in the US.  It'll be super confusing when they're learning the alphabet and typing their name will also be inconvenient (and largely impossible on web forms).
    That's what I was thinking - since it's not an official letter in the alphabet here where baby will grow up, it would be a pain.  But, I don't want to use a name and not spell it 'properly'...  Decisions, decisions
  • Options
    Xath said:
    That's what I was thinking - since it's not an official letter in the alphabet here where baby will grow up, it would be a pain.  But, I don't want to use a name and not spell it 'properly'...  Decisions, decisions
    I mean, consider every delay and inconvenience you've ever experienced at the DMV.  Then add a special accent.  Look at that future DMV employee's face across the counter.   
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
  • Options
    My mother-in-law's last name has an apostrophe in it, and paperwork and official things are almost always a hassle, and her name ends up spelled wrong about half the time. Not that you should let that make your decision, but it's something to think about. American systems are not accommodating to special characters.
  • Options
    We have had a list of names since we were dating. Our dd is Adelyn Rebekah. We just loved Adelyn (we call her Addie) and Rebekah is after my mil. This babe will either be Magnolia (Maggie) McKinley or Micah (maybe James) Scott. Magnolia is my favorite flower and we both love it, especially that it is unpopular. McKinley after my grandpa that died two years ago. Micah is dh favorite boy name. James is my favorite boy name. Scott is after dh. 
    What do you guys think about the double middle name thing though?? I love long names, our last name is long, dd has a long name, and our next girl will have a long name. I feel like 2 middles gives our boy a long name too, but dh isn't sold on it. 
  • Options
    Xath said:
    Xath said:
    I mean, consider every delay and inconvenience you've ever experienced at the DMV.  Then add a special accent.  Look at that future DMV employee's face across the counter.   
    Thanks for traumatizing me with that mental experiment  :p

• Options
    Xath said:
    Xath said:
    Thanks for traumatizing me with that mental experiment  :p

I'm here for you.  :D
  • Options
    michaela0704michaela0704 member
    edited December 2016
    One thing to keep in mind is that each state have rules regarding names... some don't allow 'non-standard' characters, have letter count limits, etc. so before you spend too much time deciding or getting your heart set, I'd check that out.

Edit: adding link...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naming_law

• Options
    We choose names long before we were pregnant. As of now, we still like them, but we'll see how we feel when the baby is actually born. 

Boy's name: Simon
    Girl's name: Alice 
  • Options
    We choose names long before we were pregnant. As of now, we still like them, but we'll see how we feel when the baby is actually born. 

Aw! I have a friend who has a Simon and Alice.
  • Options
    jennas312jennas312 member
    edited December 2016
    I really love the name Ava. I'm trying to find something comparable so she's not one of many in her class....maybe. My husband is Michael and he never complained . I'm Jenna, so a bit different than Jennifer. I always felt mine was slightly unique because of it.
    I also like when people go by one name, but it isn't their actual birth name. I knew an Ann for years and never knew she was technically Anne Marie or something totaly off, like a middle name even. 
    I'm thinking maybe  Averie, but calling her Ave or Ava. Idk. Then there's Kiera, but hubster doesn't care for it.
    ....Nevermind  on Averie, one too many syllables.  One or two for me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Simon was our boy name!  ...Back when I was convinced we were having a boy because you know the universe wouldn't be so indulgent as to make it a girl.  And I do love Alice - it is a contender for girl.
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 I loooove the name Beau! Sadly, it was DH's last boss's name, so he vetoed it despite agreeing it's a great name. Womp womp
  • Options
    @jenna312 I love the name Avery 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thomas or Ivy, the ultrasound tech thought it was a boy a month ago and we find out in a couple of weeks if she was right. So Ivy isn't 100% as I'm sure girl's names will be up for discussion again if this babe is a girl, but Tom is definite as it's a family name.
  • Options
    DH and I were all ready with a girl's name and then the next day found out we are having a boy. DH doesn't like any of the names I like and vice versa. The only one we both kind of like is Finnegan aka Finn. Our first is Bridget so it goes well as a sibling set. Not sure it is love yet

• Options
    SO and I had names picked out our first year of date (a little silly I know  :D ) and now after being together 6 years we are now expecting our first and name choices still the same! We are waiting till birth to know the gender, so we'll have no idea which name will be used! Boy will be after him: Danny Lee [lastname]; Girl: Hina Marie [lastname] after his best friend for first name and middle name because it sounds nice. So excited!