August 2017 Moms
Options

AMA Question

I will turn 35 during my pregnancy (towards the end). Does anyone know if you are treated as AMA (advanced maternal age) if you turn "of age" during your pregnancy? I'm wondering if l'll have additional visits, testing, etc. Thanks in advance.  

Re: AMA Question

• Options
    Man I just love seeing your name in this board!!!

I turned 35 in sept so I am def old AF and of AMA. I think my doctor treats you like AMA if you are 35 at conception and not turning 35 during the pregnancy. I'm not are if it's discretionary and per each doctor and the insurance follows their lead on what is deemed necessary and covered?
  • Options
    Man I just love seeing your name in this board!!!

I turned 35 in sept so I am def old AF and of AMA. I think my doctor treats you like AMA if you are 35 at conception and not turning 35 during the pregnancy. I'm not are if it's discretionary and per each doctor and the insurance follows their lead on what is deemed necessary and covered?
    And I love seeing you on this board too!!! :) You're def not old AF! I'll just inform my OB at the first visit & see how they handle it there. Thanks, girl! <3 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi ladies! I am from the Sept 15 group too! I turned 34 while pregnant with DS and they would constantly check if I was going to turn 35 during the pregnancy. They would have given me the extra tests if I did. Luckily I had five months to spare. I am curious what extra poking and prodding I will get now that I am 35 and will be 36 in February. 
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Hi ladies! I am from the Sept 15 group too! I turned 34 while pregnant with DS and they would constantly check if I was going to turn 35 during the pregnancy. They would have given me the extra tests if I did. Luckily I had five months to spare. I am curious what extra poking and prodding I will get now that I am 35 and will be 36 in February. 
    Hiiiiii!!! So awesome so many of us now on this board too!

Oh fun, more poking & prodding; sounds fabulous! Lol, I'm kinda thinking my OB will be the same way. Hopefully it's bareable! Good luck, mama! 
  • Options
    Yes @kristisigma! So fun!!! 
  • Options
    I didn't even think about it! I'm also 34 and will turn 35 in April. It's crazy because I feel so young! I didn't even feel mature enough to TTC until this year
  • Options
    dmbfan46835dmbfan46835 member
    edited December 2016
    ^^^ preach!!! This is so us! I sure wish I had started sooner so we could have a bigger family, but no way I would have been ready before I had my DS in 2015. 
  • Options
    You are usually considered AMA if you turn 35 prior to delivery. But take it! It will likely mean extra tests and extra ultrasounds. I'm 35 and my insurance will cover the Panorama testing because of it. So I'll have a great idea of how genetically healthy this baby is and also know the gender in two weeks!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Amen!! I'm 33 turning 34 during this pregnancy and I finally feel really ready to start a family with my husband of almost nine years. Instead of my bfp causing massive panic, I've actually been really calm this entire time so far- which is not like me. 

My mom had me at 38 and I like to think I kept her young :)

Together: January 2002
    Married: May 2008
    Baby: August 2017

Clearly we like to rush along at lightning speed...

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    CryssteenCryssteen member
    edited December 2016
    If you're 35+ when you deliver then you're AMA, or geriatric, as ACOG is changing it to... yuck 

ETA- I'll be geriatric in march
  • Options
    Cryssteen said:
    If you're 35+ when you deliver then you're AMA, or geriatric, as ACOG is changing it to... yuck 

ETA- I'll be geriatric in march
    Are you serious?! That's awful; I'll be 35 not 90!  :D
  • Options
    I turned 35 in Sept and will be a FTM.  I was wondering who else in this group was over 35!  My first appointment was a bit overwhelming but they strongly suggested going for additional screening at 13 weeks.  So that is what we are doing.  I don't think ours is the one where you can also find out the gender, though...I wish!  I am a nervous mom to be, so I am hoping this test will go well and give us more peace of mind.

Even though I knew it was coming, it was strange to hear them tell me I am "advanced maternal age" since I certainly don't feel like it!  "Geriatric" sounds even worse!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @liz4382  I am in the same boat is you.  I will be 35 the end of July and a FTM.  My EDD based on LMP is Aug 9th and Tuesday I go in for my first appt u/s.  I am hoping that my doc ignores that "2 weeks" hehehe
    Me: 34 (Divorced 8-22-16)
    Last Depo: 2-19-13  Stopped BCP completely: 10-13-13
    TTC Starting 4-26-14 Stopped TTC 2-1-16
    Ultrasound found minor PCOS 9-5-15
    BFP with boyfriend 12-7-16 

• Options
    Yes, you are. 
  • Options
    So if 35 is geriatric what is 40??? Ancient?!  I already knew what I was getting into but we got married 3 years ago and with infertility issues on his end it took this much time! I have already met with the high risk MD and have discussed all the testing. The safer the better in my book. 
    Me: 40  
    TTC #1: 3 years
    Me: Type II Diabetic
    Started with RE 11/2014
    Going through IUI with Donor Sperm

• Options
    Cupcakegal930 I just turned 39 so I know how you feel.
  • Options
    My OB did not.  Had DS two months after turning 35.  DH and I did opt to do the extra testing since our OB highly suggested it at our age (34 and 39) at the time.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Just wanted to say yay that there are other 35ish+ FTM's up in here, whether they call us AMA or geriatric or whatever :D
  • Options
    Mango517 said:
    Amen!! I'm 33 turning 34 during this pregnancy and I finally feel really ready to start a family with my husband of almost nine years. Instead of my bfp causing massive panic, I've actually been really calm this entire time so far- which is not like me. 

My mom had me at 38 and I like to think I kept her young :)
    << Waving hi >> I'm also turning 34 during this pregnancy. I agree I did not feel ready for a kid until .... now. It's nice to see many of us in our 30's +, as to be honest, people that I grew up around are somewhat... judgey... for not having kids in one's 20's. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am 35 (Will turn 36 1 month after baby is born). At my appointment the doctor mentioned all the testing that I will do being that I am AMA.
  • Options
    Another hand up for turning 34...in March. We are getting testing done due to my nephew having a Robertsonian translocation / DS with heart surgery.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • Options
    Turning 36 this year. AMAll the way!
  • Options
    Currently 37 here and dreading my OB bringing up the "geriatric pregnancy" thing.  Last time he told me I could just squeak by without being classified AMA.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker