June 2016 Moms
Options

Naps and routines

2»

Re: Naps and routines

• Options
    You said babies can't over eat if they are bf, does this mean they can over eat if they are formula fed? 
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    You said babies can't over eat if they are bf, does this mean they can over eat if they are formula fed? 
    Ethan spits out the bottle or let's the formula run out of his mouth when he's done eating. So I don't think it's possible to oberfeed HIM with formula. Lol. Not sure about other babies (my gut says no though)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    amangels2 said:

Only if you keep trying into make them finish a bottle even after they turn away.  It is believed that happens for bottle fed babies (even with pumped milk) because we, the moms, obsess over number of ounces and sometimes will keep trying to make them eat.  
  • Options
    Okay gotcha. Good to know. Although Sam is pretty skinny so I'm not really worried about him overeating. 
  • Options
    Damien keeps crying out randomly during his naps. Each time it happens, it's only for a few seconds and then he is quiet again. He isn't actually waking up. I can't figure out why he is doing it either. Nightmare, maybe?
  • Options
    Damien keeps crying out randomly during his naps. Each time it happens, it's only for a few seconds and then he is quiet again. He isn't actually waking up. I can't figure out why he is doing it either. Nightmare, maybe?
    I've been wondering the same thing! Savannah wakes up screaming with real tears which I find odd
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    LO is 5 months old, so I understood from the pediatrician that they still nap on demand. At least the daycare is treating it as such. Once he's 6 months, we can attempt to put some type of schedule, but even then, it's never going to be on the clock. 
  • Options
    LO is 5 months old, so I understood from the pediatrician that they still nap on demand. At least the daycare is treating it as such. Once he's 6 months, we can attempt to put some type of schedule, but even then, it's never going to be on the clock. 

Yeah we were told to nap on demand for the most part too.  But he can have days where he goes a full 2.5-3 hours between naps which makes them predictable and then days like today where all the naps were short and he was cranky so today we have 4 naps total

• Options
    Anyone already down to just two naps.  Preston has been pushing it.  If he takes a third nap, it's really late and if his first two naps are an hour a half or more then he won't take the third cause he pushes 3-3.5 hours in between naps sometimes.  I tried to put him down sooner but he just rolls around and plays in the crib.
  • Options
    Anyone already down to just two naps.  Preston has been pushing it.  If he takes a third nap, it's really late and if his first two naps are an hour a half or more then he won't take the third cause he pushes 3-3.5 hours in between naps sometimes.  I tried to put him down sooner but he just rolls around and plays in the crib.
    Not yet, Damien can stay up 2hrs now before needing a nap. If we are out and about he can last 3hrs though.
  • Options
    Almost, Charlotte has turned her morning nap into a longer one, she use to do 4 naps a day, 2 in the morning. She still needs her 4 pm nap to make it to bed but it's usually just 45mins to an hour.
  • Options
    Yeah Preston goes back and forth.  What I'm surprised by though is how long he stays awake for after a short nap.  Sometimes his first nap is only 30-35 min after being up for 2 hours in the morning.  Then hes uo for 3 hours.  Today I tried getting him to settle down at the 2 hour mark cause he was dozing off at the boob but as soon as I tried to carry him to the crib he perked up and would not settle.  I spent an hour in a quiet dark room singing songs and rocking and all that happened was any time I tried to put him down he would get mad at me.  Now he's actually tired but won't go in the crib because he's still mad about me trying to get him in it when he's not "tired".  I basically gave up cause he started screaming bloody murder and i said we will try again in 15 min maybe more cause the more I hang out with him the less tired he seems.  I hate leap 5.  Not as horrible as leap 4 with the sleep but damn near close with the attitude.
  • Options
    Most days my son naps only twice. Then again, he's in daycare.
    If he's at home with us, he'll sometimes take a third nap. But it's always unpredictable. I heard at 6 months, babies go down to two naps.
    My son never naps more than an hour or hour and a half.
  • Options
    I have Cole home with me for the next few weeks... at his babysitters he takes 3 naps... when he's home, I'm lucky to get 2.  The kid doesn't want to miss anything apparently.  Idk how our babysitter does it!  He's on such a good schedule at her house!  
  • Options
    Preston still does 3 but his night sleep got cut down by an hour so that's why I think
  • Options
    Damien is napping like a champ the past couple of days. He does 3 naps, each is 2-2.5hrs long. I don't expect it to be the norm but I'm enjoying it while it lasts!
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Damien woke up at 7:15am, then went down at 9am but slept for only 15min. He then wouldn't go down until 1pm and slept for 20min. He hasn't been fussy or anything, just not tired I guess.

The part that sucked was not being able to run errands by myself, something I was looking forward to doing. My husband thought bringing him would tire him out so they both tagged along. 

I'm a little annoyed that I've been on baby-duty all day (minus my husband doing the errands with us). Otherwise he's just been catching up on some of his shows. 
  • Options
    Preston had an odd day too.  He slept for most of our 2 hour trip today but then was awake for 4 and half hours before he finally fell asleep andbitbtooknso much effort.  We were really hoping he'd be ok today but he had other plans.  It's been a while since I had to work so hard to get him to sleep but we are in a new place so I'm not surprised.
  • Options
    adiaz132003adiaz132003 member
    edited December 2016
    Preston had an odd day too.  He slept for most of our 2 hour trip today but then was awake for 4 and half hours before he finally fell asleep andbitbtooknso much effort.  We were really hoping he'd be ok today but he had other plans.  It's been a while since I had to work so hard to get him to sleep but we are in a new place so I'm not surprised.

Just an update.  He slept horribly on our trip. He had to be in bed with is and even then he was up every hour and nursing. Fought the first nap, slept an hour in the car and is still awake cause even though we are home, he didn't want to go in the crib and was even screaming in our arms so we gave up and we are getting him ready for bed instead.  I am praying that he will realize that he is home and safe and will sleep normally tonight cause I can't bring him into bed again.  I only had him in bed yesterday to keep him from waking the toddler in the house (which he did anyways and the boy was up till 2am, oops) he doesn't really like sleeping long periods in bed cause he wants to move around but can't when he's next to me.  Ugh

Eta: it's now been an hour and a half since we got him ready for bed and he is wide awake.  We gave up trying to rock him to sleep cause it just wasn't happening so he is hanging out on the floor.  I'm gonna try and feed him then out him to bed again but I don't have high hopes
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 I'm sorry you're having a rough time! Hang in there!
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:
     It sucks so much. He's been up for almost 6 hours now DH out him in the crib and is standing there letting him cry cause we don't know what else to do.  He won't even relax on me.  He just babbles and bites me.  I do t think it's teeth cause he only cried of we out him in the crib to sleep.  After having no sleep last night because of stuff like this and the though that I'm gonna be up all night again I've seriously thought about getting in my car and driving off a bridge.
  • Options
    Lizbeth86 said:
     It sucks so much. He's been up for almost 6 hours now DH out him in the crib and is standing there letting him cry cause we don't know what else to do.  He won't even relax on me.  He just babbles and bites me.  I do t think it's teeth cause he only cried of we out him in the crib to sleep.  After having no sleep last night because of stuff like this and the though that I'm gonna be up all night again I've seriously thought about getting in my car and driving off a bridge.
    I hope it's a temproary thing and you are able to get some sleep. I've definitely been in the "Well I'll just hang out in the nursery while you scream and cry because I don't know what else to do," boat. It really sucks.

Damien was a little better with napping today, not great, but each one was 45min to an hour and he was much more pleasant. He slept during the night last night like normal so I was so happy about that, not that I slept well but that's another story. He gave my husband some trouble this evening when he tried to put him down for bed but he eventually went down. 
  • Options

Just an update.  He slept horribly on our trip. He had to be in bed with is and even then he was up every hour and nursing. Fought the first nap, slept an hour in the car and is still awake cause even though we are home, he didn't want to go in the crib and was even screaming in our arms so we gave up and we are getting him ready for bed instead.  I am praying that he will realize that he is home and safe and will sleep normally tonight cause I can't bring him into bed again.  I only had him in bed yesterday to keep him from waking the toddler in the house (which he did anyways and the boy was up till 2am, oops) he doesn't really like sleeping long periods in bed cause he wants to move around but can't when he's next to me.  Ugh

Eta: it's now been an hour and a half since we got him ready for bed and he is wide awake.  We gave up trying to rock him to sleep cause it just wasn't happening so he is hanging out on the floor.  I'm gonna try and feed him then out him to bed again but I don't have high hopes
    I'm sorry it's been so rough, I hope he settles down for the night soon. Would a glass of wine help you relax a little? When Charlotte cries and cries and there's nothing I can do I found a glass of wine helps with my nerves.
  • Options
    He eventually fell asleep on my boob in bed at 9:30.  His first waking was at 3:30 then very often from there. He didn't wanna be on my chest but didn't wanna stay on one side too long and God forbid my nipple wasn't in his mouth.  If I don't give it to him he will start to flail and hit himself in the face then cry hysterically.
  • Options
    He eventually fell asleep on my boob in bed at 9:30.  His first waking was at 3:30 then very often from there. He didn't wanna be on my chest but didn't wanna stay on one side too long and God forbid my nipple wasn't in his mouth.  If I don't give it to him he will start to flail and hit himself in the face then cry hysterically.
    Goodness! I'm glad he slept until 3:30 but equally sorry it was still overall a rough night. I wonder what flipped the switch to cause him to sleep badly lately.
  • Options
    Goodness! I'm glad he slept until 3:30 but equally sorry it was still overall a rough night. I wonder what flipped the switch to cause him to sleep badly lately.
     I wonder if it was the crazy traveling weekend.  He never had an issue with travel before but this time was just so bad.  This morning he went down easy for his first nap and it was on time so I have no idea.  I'm hoping this first nap will set the ton for the rest of the day and bedtime
  • Options
    @adiaz132003 are you in a wonder week? We just finished leap 5 and that last week was rough for us in terms of sleep. Much worse than I've noticed with the previous leaps. 
  • Options
    annaf2011 said:
    @adiaz132003 are you in a wonder week? We just finished leap 5 and that last week was rough for us in terms of sleep. Much worse than I've noticed with the previous leaps. 
     Yes this weekend was supposed to be the end of it but the beginning of last week he seemed to go back to normal so I thought he finished a little early which he does sometimes.  Maybe he just got lucky for a few days before going back to bad sleep.
  • Options
    I think Damien swapped his long nap from his morning one to his midday one. He now only naps about 30mins in the morning and then does a 1.5 - 2hr nap midday and then an hour long one in the late afternoon. I feel like I've read that this is normal but maybe I'm imagining things.

We are also trying to get him used to napping in the crib again but it isn't going well at all. He started napping again in his rnp when he caught his cold and then I was just spoiled with the long naps he usually does in it so I didn't transition him back to the crib. When we lay him in the crib for a nap, he screams and cries. Nothing we do helps except picking him up. I tried the various sleep methods and the result is the same: screaming baby & no nap. Today I thought maybe taking baby steps would be better, start by putting him in the rnp but not turning it on to get him used to not rocking anymore. Maybe after doing that for a couple of days, I can do one of his 3 naps in the crib (maybe his first one) and then after a few days move the next nap to the crib too, etc. 

Any suggestions?
  • Options
    I think Damien swapped his long nap from his morning one to his midday one. He now only naps about 30mins in the morning and then does a 1.5 - 2hr nap midday and then an hour long one in the late afternoon. I feel like I've read that this is normal but maybe I'm imagining things.

We are also trying to get him used to napping in the crib again but it isn't going well at all. He started napping again in his rnp when he caught his cold and then I was just spoiled with the long naps he usually does in it so I didn't transition him back to the crib. When we lay him in the crib for a nap, he screams and cries. Nothing we do helps except picking him up. I tried the various sleep methods and the result is the same: screaming baby & no nap. Today I thought maybe taking baby steps would be better, start by putting him in the rnp but not turning it on to get him used to not rocking anymore. Maybe after doing that for a couple of days, I can do one of his 3 naps in the crib (maybe his first one) and then after a few days move the next nap to the crib too, etc. 

Any suggestions?
    I think you have the right idea already. Swings are great but man they are a bitch to give up because babies get so use to the motion.