April 2016 Moms

Waking very early... At wits end!!

For the last two weeks, minus two great nights, DS has been waking at 3 or 4am and will not go back to sleep! I don't know what to do. We thought he was having bad gas and he's had mushy poop or diarrhea later in the morning, but he's happy as a clam if we let him play on the floor and/or watch TV. He's also been spitting up which he didn't really do much before, maybe just small amounts. Lately, it's increased in volume sometimes big volume. I'm still nursing, but he gets mostly formula now for the last couple of months. Thought maybe teething too, but giving Tylenol does nothing. He rubs his eyes like he's tired and wants to sleep, but screams at us if we try to put him down. I really don't know what to do. :(
I married the man of my dreams June 2, 2007!

Re: Waking very early... At wits end!!

• DS did this for awhile from 6-7 months or so; waking at 4 AM and just playing and talking to himself. There were times he did it for an hour or so before going back to sleep (he was clearly still tired). We just left him and didn't go in - we didn't want him to think that was the new wake up time! He now very rarely wakes up before morning.

Hopefully it's just a phase for your LO, too. It's an obnoxious one for sure! DH and I get up at 5:30 at the latest (he works early) and we rarely got any more sleep after those 4 AM wake ups. 
  • Try Motrin. Usually when my babies are teething, they wake up and are happy to play, but won't sleep. Tylenol doesn't do much for pain, if you ask me. Motrin, on the other hand, can knock out the pain. Mushy poop and spitting up is probably  from excess drool from teething. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you both! Good point kielpinskim. We always gave our first Tylenol and it never really helped her. We have tried to not go in to his room, but DS gets downright angry and escalates to very angry screams. What did you put in his crib to make him happy to just hang out and play? This did work with our DD, but so far the couple of toys (including a teether) I put in DS's crib don't do the trick. We have the crib rail protectors we used for DD, but he can't pull himself up in the crib just yet to get to the loops where we hung the toys and I'm nervous about putting stuff other than a teether inside the crib cuz he moves around a lot too.
  • ribride07 said:
    Thank you both! Good point kielpinskim. We always gave our first Tylenol and it never really helped her. We have tried to not go in to his room, but DS gets downright angry and escalates to very angry screams. What did you put in his crib to make him happy to just hang out and play? This did work with our DD, but so far the couple of toys (including a teether) I put in DS's crib don't do the trick. We have the crib rail protectors we used for DD, but he can't pull himself up in the crib just yet to get to the loops where we hung the toys and I'm nervous about putting stuff other than a teether inside the crib cuz he moves around a lot too.
    I spent many an hour trying to get them back to sleep when they just wanted to play. They wouldn't have been happy with just having some toys in bed with them. I usually just ended up sleeping with them in the guest bed (in our nursery) and waiting it out until they'd pass out.
  • ladylolly89ladylolly89 member
    edited December 2016
    ribride07 said:
     What did you put in his crib to make him happy to just hang out and play? This did work with our DD, but so far the couple of toys (including a teether) I put in DS's crib don't do the trick. 
    He only had his soft baby doll that he sleeps with, or if he is teething we put a teether in his bed. Nothing that makes noise, though. He would mostly just play with his hands/feet or roll around. He's always been super content to play on his own and entertain himself. I'm not expecting the same luck this next time around. :wink: 

Edit because autocorrect thought that I was giving my child a "tether" instead of a "teether"!
  • ribride07 said:
     What did you put in his crib to make him happy to just hang out and play? This did work with our DD, but so far the couple of toys (including a teether) I put in DS's crib don't do the trick. 
    He only had his soft baby doll that he sleeps with, or if he is teething we put a teether in his bed. Nothing that makes noise, though. He would mostly just play with his hands/feet or roll around. He's always been super content to play on his own and entertain himself. I'm not expecting the same luck this next time around. :wink: 

Edit because autocorrect thought that I was giving my child a "tether" instead of a "teether"!
    Lol! You are lucky he can entertain himself. I don't have that same luck with my DS. Hopefully, you will have it again the next time. You never know! My DD eventually was able to entertain herself. I'm hoping my DS will come around soon too!