Late Term and Child Loss

Poll - D&C, D&E, Induced Delivery, C-Section

I experienced a MMC and underwent an induced delivery at 16 weeks about 3 months ago. As I grieve and make sense of what just happened, I've found I have a lot of questions about how my experience compares to other women in similar circumstances, but living in other states (I live in Indiana). I was originally given a choice between a second-trimester D&E and induced delivery, but I was then told by my OB that he wasn't comfortable with a D&E and so I had to be induced and deliver. Delivering a lost baby was the hardest most devastating thing I have ever experienced and, to be honest, since I have suffer from night terrors and anxiety.  I guess I'm just really curious about your experiences and would be interested in hearing what you went through, if you're comfortable sharing. So, a few questions:  

1. How far along were you?
2. What state do you live in?
3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? 
4. Do you regret the method that was used?  
5. Did you have any complications?

Thank you, in advance, to anyone willing to share your experience with me. I'm not sure if it will help me find peace, but I hope so. 

Re: Poll - D&C, D&E, Induced Delivery, C-Section

• 1. How far along were you? 38 wks 
    2. What state do you live in? CA
    3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? Stillbirth Induction and delivery. 
    4. Do you regret the method that was used?  Do not regret it. This was my second child. First child was a horrible c-section experience. This experience was a natural delivery and I didn't tear. So it makes me optimistic of being able to have a successful vbac in future. 
    5. Did you have any complications? No complications. 

I do still have flashbacks of the delivery just because of the circumstance was very traumatic. If my daughter had been well and alive I wouldn't have anything bad to say about my experience. I am currently pregnant now and very anxious about it all. I go through every emotion you can think of. Trying to take it day by day. I went to therapy after my stillbirth and recently considered going back to help me deal with this anxiety.  

• 1. How far along were you? I should have been just over 17 weeks when I delivered but my baby's heart stoped beating at 15 weeks, 3 days
    2. What state do you live in? Michigan
    3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? I delivered in the hospital. I was given the option of a d and e or natural delivery.
    4. Do you regret the method that was used?  Not at all. It was both horrible and wonderful at the same time. For me, to see my baby and hold her and name her, helped me be able to grieve. It was the most horrible experience at the same time. You feel like you are at the hospital too soon. You wish you were about to be calling family members and friends to tell them great news, but instead you are left with a baby who isn't really there anymore and a quiet, sad hospital room. I am very thankful to have been able to meet her and hold her though. 
    5. Did you have any complications? I delivered her and then the doctor basically got my placenta out I. The hospital room without having to go for a D and C. She said there was a possibility that she didn't get everything but I was adamant about not wanting to get a D and C unless I needed one. Well, a week after delivering I was sitting on the toilet and felt i huge clot. I couldn't push it out so I called the after-hours. (The clot was as big as my baby was). We ended up going into emergency and having it removed (it was part of my placenta that was still attached to the uterine wall). They also did end up doing a D and C which was not as bad as I thought it would be. I am very nervous about anything done "down there"  but knowing everything I know now, I would not have been so scared. 

• Loading the player...
  • I am so sorry about your loss. Congrats on your current pregnancy and I hope everything goes smoothly for you!
  • 1. How far along were you? 28 weeks

2. What state do you live in? New Hampshire

3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? 
    Stillbirth, induction and delivery

4. Do you regret the method that was used?  No. I wasn't presented with any other options, but knowing what I know now, I am glad I didn't do a c-section. 

5. Did you have any complications? Yes. I developed a 104 degree fever from the cytotec. I was shaking so much it was hard to get up and move around.

I don't have a lot of flashbacks to the delivery, but I do have flashbacks to the ultrasound, the Dr telling me, and having to call my husband and mom. I went to therapy for a while.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• 1. How far along were you? I was 16 weeks when my water Broke and 19 weeks when we lost her.

2. What state do you live in? I live in New Jersey

3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? i had PROM (premature rupture of Membranes) After weeks of bed rest and waiting and hoping that my sac would refill, we made the agonizing decision to end the pregnancy. She was healthy but her lungs were not forming properly and she would never be able to breathe on her own. 

4. Do you regret the method that was used?  We chose a D&E because of my mental stability. As hard as it is knowing that I had to give up Hope, I knew that I would never be able to deal with birth. And there were so many complications due to not having any fluid. 

5. Did you have any complications? Not really at all, there was a day where I was super crampy and passed a lot of clots, but they said that was normal and I have had better periods since. 

Because this was my 2nd PROM (My DS being born 6 weeks premature) and my 4th pregnancy we were told that we should not try to get pregnant again. 

• 1. I was 39 weeks
    2. In New York
    3. Stillbirth - it was a cord accident that occurred when my labor started. I delivered naturally- my son was 8 pounds 10 ounces and 22 inches long - I was already in labor - no drugs, no tearing. My team was amazing and it truely was a beautiful experience. The time we had with our son was incredible and they made it an amazing time even though it was heartbreaking. I will always cherish the time and all the momentos we have. 
    4. I don't regret the method. We have since had another child and opted for c-section because I could not risk loosing another child when my labor started or in the process. So it makes my experience with my son extra special as he was all natural. 
    5. I had no complications. 
  • msunshine123msunshine123 member
    edited November 2016
    @mcdonald-bailey thinking of you and sending so many hugs your way. The pregnancy after a loss is so hard. We lost our son due to a cord accident day of delivery at 39 weeks and welcomed his younger sister 11 months later. Hoping and praying your current pregnancy goes smoothly. ((Hugs))
  • @msunshine123 thank you. So far so good. I try to stay optimistic but PGAL brain does get the best of me at times. My doctor is suggesting a c-section at 39 wks which I'm afraid of because of my horrible first experience. I want to try for a vbac but also want to ensure the best possible delivery for my child. It all gets a little overwhelming at times 
  • 1. How far along were you? 14 weeks

2. What state do you live in? IA

3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? D&E

4. Do you regret the method that was used? No but the fact that I was not completely under, I do regret. It was extremely uncomfortable and I hate what I remember from the whole experience.  

5. Did you have any complications? I'm only two weeks out. So far things seem to be ok but my body is having a hard time adjusting to not being pregnant. I've had 2 other D&C and I seemed to heal faster from those. 

• I have done this twice this year, unfortunately. 

1. How far along were you? 21 weeks and 20 weeks
    2. What state do you live in? MA
    3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)?  Induction & delivery
    4. Do you regret the method that was used?  Not at all, I really liked getting to hold my tiny babies, as difficult as it was. I liked that it felt like something I was a part of instead of a procedure. 
    5. Did you have any complications? I just delivered my second baby lost this year last night - I did have a fever from the medication used to soften my cervix. No complications from the first loss in April.

A

2010: son born 9/1 

2013: 2 miscarriages + d&cs, both at 10 weeks: April & July

2014: son #2 born 6/29

2016: Baby girl stillborn at 21w6d 4/29 and baby boy stillborn at 20w 3d 11/16

• 1. 24.5 weeks
    2. Kansas
    3. Induction (I was already in the hospital, got suddenly septic and no heartbeat found, induced immediately)
    4. Not at all. She was breech until that night (I felt her flip right before she died) and I am so grateful I was able to deliver naturally
    5. I was in septic shock so was rushed to the icu right after and have very few memories from the next few days. No complications from the delivery itself. 
  • 1. How far along were you? 22 weeks
    2. What state do you live in? NJ
    3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)?  Induction & delivery
    4. Do you regret the method that was used? It was a traumatic experience. I was put under at the very last minute. I never got to hold my baby or find out what happened even after testing
    5. Did you have any complications? A month later I had several weird neurological symptoms including double vision, superficial clots, numbness, tingling and muscle spasms. It was determined I had Antiphospholipid antibodies and went on to have a stroke in 2015. Now I am on medication for life.
  • 1. How far along were you? 19 weeks 3 days. It was my anatomy ultrasound appointment instead of finding out their gender we found out we were  no longer expecting. They never informed us of the gender I won't know because it went undocumented.
    2. What state do you live in? MO
    3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? D&C
    4. Do you regret the method that was used?  Do not regret it but I certainly do not like it. I wanted to deliver because I wanted to bury my baby, which was more of a religious preference. When they did the D&C they couldn't insure me that the integrity of  my child's body would be maintained so we opted to cremate as a result. 

5. Did you have any complications? I developed preeclampsia and as a result they had to remove my baby immediately which is what led to the D&C instead of delivery. During the procedure which was only supposed to last an hour at most occurred over a 4 hour period resulting in a near blood transfusion.
  • 1. How far along were you? 31.5 weeks

2. What state do you live in? OH

3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? Stillbirth induction & delivery 

4. Do you regret the method that was used? Not at all. I regret having to wait 2 days before being induced. I went to the doctor on Wednesday and that's when we found out we lost our son. She said she wasn't in the office tomorrow so we would have to wait until Friday to be induced and then she didn't even deliver him. Having to wait 2 days after knowing what happened really f***ed me up.

5. Did you have any complications? My back still hurts where I got the epidural but I think that's pretty normal. My bp spiked while in the hospital (we lost him due to asymptomatic pre-eclapsia) and my numbers never went back to normal.
    BFP 7/2016 - DS stillborn 31w 1/21/17 due to placental abruption
    BFP 12/6/17 - EED 8/11/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. How far along were you? 16 w
    2. What state do you live in? CA
    3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth- My water broke in the ER and then delivered shortly afterward in L&D. D&C 2 days later as my body would not pass the placenta.
    4. Do you regret the method that was used?  No, my placenta wouldn't budge
    5. Did you have any complications? None, had a normal amount of bleeding for the 10 days following

Me 32 H 31
    Married 2013
    childhood cancer survivor - Ovarian Failure
    Donor Egg Recipient
    DE IVF# 1 May 2017 BFN
    DE IVF #2 June 2017 BFP 
    <3  Miscarriage @ 16 weeks Baby Boy Noah  o:) 

• . How far along were you? 6 months

2. What state do you live in? Ontario Canada

3. How did you experience your miscarriage or stillbirth (occurred naturally, D&C, second-trimester D&E, induction & delivery, c-section, etc.)? I went to a normal appointment with my new doctor we were expecting to find out the gender but they couldn't see his heart beat. I was induced it took 22 hrs for labor. It was scarring the doctor held my baby up to the nurse and said "you will never see a baby this small again"

4. Do you regret the method that was used?  It was the only way given but it was good for me to see my baby and hold him. They left us for 2 hrs alone so we could be with hime and they gave us his feet stamped on a paper with ink.

5. Did you have any complications? A piece of placenta came out 2 day later. Back to the hospital.