February 2016 Moms

ideas for travel

rainbowminionrainbowminion member
edited December 2016 in February 2016 Moms
In February we will be taking a 2 hour flight, which will be little guy's first. I'm planning to have him off formula by that point, with our pediatrician's blessing. But I need to give him something to suck on for takeoff and landing. He also doesn't take a pacifier. He hasn't had juice yet, so I was thinking about bringing a bottle and filling it with half juice, half water and offering that. What do you all think? Any other ideas?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: ideas for travel

• Just wanted to wish u luck!!! I can't go more than 20min from my house before my lo starts freaking out.he's not a fan of sitting in carseat
  • I fed my LO milk on take off when we flew recently. Drink worked well. Food would work too if the flight coincides for meal times?! My LO was asleep for landing however, so didn't have any ear trouble with that, so if you can get them to nap for either take off or landing then that was easiest! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks!

@taitai82 Mine is willing to put up with the carseat for a little while, depending on his mood. Seriously thinking about staying at a hotel near the airport the night before we leave. Otherwise it's a 2 hour drive, and as much as I'm a cheapskate, I don't know if I want to try to start our vacation that way!

@smn14  The flight is during to nap time, but I don't know if can get him to nap in a strange environment. Maybe we'll get lucky! He's almost always up for food though, so that's a good back-up plan. Thanks!

• Hopefully the airplane won't bother LO, depends on the baby. Possibly a puree pouch? A teether? Unless LO is asleep on the plane, I just distracted with toys and it usually works. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @satuttle1014 That's great! My ears always hurt with the change in air pressure, even if I'm chewing gum like crazy. I'm hoping he inherited his Dad's ears. 

• We have taken our LO on 8 flights now and we are about 50/50 on her sleeping through takeoff and landing.  When she doesn't sleep a bottle is definitely the way to go!  Can you just give him a bottle of milk?  Or water?  I personally would avoid juice.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd avoid juice too. You might end up with one hyper baby during your flight. What will you be replacing the formula with? Maybe a bottle of almond milk or something? We've been on six flights now and I just nurse, but I think the white noise of the plane helps knock him out too. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I think water, juice, or milk would be just fine.

• Thanks you guys!

• My kids have terrible ear problems when flying. If he will have just come off the bottle (and is still used to it), you can still have him use the bottle with regular milk in it. Other option would be a sippy/straw cup. If you've never traveled with a baby before, know that you can bring liquids like milk, pouches, etc in excess of the usual liquid limit, as long as you declare them at the security checkpoint. 

• @VitaLuna That's very helpful, thank you!