January 2016 Moms

Vegetables for baby

What vegetables does your LO like? I'm having the hardest time getting my girl to eat real vegetables. She loves any fruit, and will eat pouches - but real life cooked veggies are a chore. So far she has liked sweet potatoes and squash, but that's about it. I've tried everything and all veggies. Please send me your tips and veggies that your LO likes to eat.

TIA!

Re: Vegetables for baby

• Mine especially likes asparagus and (cooked) red bell pepper. Good luck!
  • My LO loves veggies with butter on them. However, the pedi just nicked any dairy for LO until she is 1 year due to reflux troubles. We haven't tried too many home cooked stuff. Need to get on that, but I'm not the best cook and I'm so worried I am going to give her something she shouldn't have. Any one have any good, healthy and hopefully, easy recipes of stuff to feed LO? Dairy free if possible!
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO wouldn't eat peppers but then I sent her to daycare with them cut into a stuffed pepper mix (onion, garlic, brown rice, tomato sauce) from the night before and she gobbled it up! 

Also mac and cheese with loads of tiny bits of broccoli. Can't eat the sauce if you don't eat the broccoli too! She'll eat all sorts of veggies in a stir fry too, for the same reason.

I do find my LO is way more likely to eat a veggie if it's cooked and mushy. I think if it's even the slightest bit of a challenge to eat, she can't be bothered.

• l4rkl4rk member
    edited December 2016
    ekscopp said:
    My LO loves veggies with butter on them. However, the pedi just nicked any dairy for LO until she is 1 year due to reflux troubles. We haven't tried too many home cooked stuff. Need to get on that, but I'm not the best cook and I'm so worried I am going to give her something she shouldn't have. Any one have any good, healthy and hopefully, easy recipes of stuff to feed LO? Dairy free if possible!
    Squash: half it, scoop the seeds, and put in the oven for 45 mins to an hour.

Potatos and yams: prick and put in oven for an hour.

Broccoli, carrots, cauliflower, mushrooms, etc: stick in bowl of water, nuke in microwave until soft.

Celery: coat in peanut butter, slice and serve.

Eggs: boil for 15 minutes, store in fridge for up to a week and eat as needed.

Basically the easiest AND healthiest foods are single ingredient vegetables, without any added sauces, sugars or fats. Most veggies have a really lazy way of cooking too. Just grab a colorful mix of veggies, then cook and serve!

ETA: the only things LOs shouldn't have is added sugars (including sugars in processed food), honey (re: botulism), or too much of a single food. But as long as you keep your meals veggie focused and ingredient simple, it's hard to go wrong.
  • LO really likes peas. I think since they're a bit sweet, easy to pick up, and fun to squash. She also likes broccoli and carrots.  She loves zucchini in bread and casserole, and sweet potatoes roasted. 
  • KFrob said:
    LO really likes peas. I think since they're a bit sweet, easy to pick up, and fun to squash. She also likes broccoli and carrots.  She loves zucchini in bread and casserole, and sweet potatoes roasted. 
    Oh yeah! The daycare has frozen peas that they give to the littles. Apparently they love them, especially when teething. :)
  • l4rkl4rk member
    edited December 2016
    Corn is also good, but be wary of the added sugars when using canned.

And speaking of cans, omg, how could I forget?! BLACK BEANS! We have a can of those suckers open and on the go at almost all times, and I feed them raw as a snack or mix them in with rice, spag sauce, etc.

• @l4rk I always heat them up but frozen for teething is genius! LO is going through some serious teething and I'm going to give the frozen ones a try
  • Mine is pretty good with veggies knock on wood. But I like to make a quiche, and I put broccoli, spinach, muchrooms in it. Its a good way of hiding stuff. But we eat a lot of sweet potatoes, peas, beans (green and black), butternut squash, broccoli. I find frozen veggies easiest to make in a pinch. 
  • @ekscopp my LO is allergic to both dairy and soy. I've found a website that has been pretty handy when searching for recipes. (Www.kidswithfoodallergies.org)

Check the drop down menu for "recipes & diet," once there you have the option of checking off each of your child's allergies and it will list recipes without those ingredients! 
  • Google pea fritters! My little guy will eat tons of those and they are packed with peas. I also second everything pervious posters have said! 
  •  Also look up recipes for quinoa bites. There are different recipes out there and very easy to hide vegetables in it. And they are good for them! I found a bunch on Pinterest 
  • My little guy is big on veggie hummus (sub half chick peas for veggies so he gets the best of both). Green pea is his favorite spread thick on a whole wheat pita or toast. Check out babyfoode.com for recipe and lots lots of good ideas. And my babes absolute favorite is the avocado blueberry muffins. I just sub the egg for applesauce (he's allergic) and leave out the sugar. 
  • Roast your vegetables. It brings out the sweetness. And while we are on the subject, corn isn't a vegetable. It's a starch
  • I roast all of my vegetables and LO loves everything. Sweet potatoes, Brussel sprouts, asparagus, zucchini, broccoli oreganata. She's not a picky eater at all thankfully! Hopefully it stays like that. 
  • Green beans, diced carrots and peas are definitely my go-to veggies for him when I just need to add something to his meal.

TTC #1 10/2014
    Low progesterone
    BFP 05/2015
    Baby boy born 01/2016
    Currently: NTNP

• @mrsgetz4000 how do you roast veggies for baby? I just know how with olive oil and garlic or seasoned salt. Idk if that's ok for baby. What about sodium amounts for baby? That's mostly what I'm worried about with giving her things we eat. Idk why, but feeding her things other than pouches makes me so anxious I'm going to do something wrong!
  • ekscopp said:
    @mrsgetz4000 how do you roast veggies for baby? I just know how with olive oil and garlic or seasoned salt. Idk if that's ok for baby. What about sodium amounts for baby? That's mostly what I'm worried about with giving her things we eat. Idk why, but feeding her things other than pouches makes me so anxious I'm going to do something wrong!
    Be careful with pouches! My almost 4 year old step daughter was a pouch junky! All she would eat is pouches, mac and cheese, and strawberries. We broke the pouch habit after her third bday and it was really difficult. It wasn't until we started solids w LO that I realized pouches were like stage two baby food. I've read several articles on how they limit exposure to texture and the look and feel of the food. We still struggle with getting her to eat "real food", while LO eats practically anything. Also, pouches are expensive! 

As for the roasting thing we try to avoid salt for the babe, but we season everything as we normally would otherwise and use olive oil.  We'll season, take hers out, then add a bit of salt to our. 
  • We usually offer whatever we're having for dinner, but we mostly eat home made, healthy stuff.  If we're having something DS won't or shouldn't eat, we usually offer him some pasta mixed with steamed veggies.  He loves mac and cheese with pretty much any veggie and is also a fan of pesto and my moms home made tomato sauce.
  • @ekscopp we roast in olive oil and garlic and onion. We skip the salt but sometimes (depending what it is) will add a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika or something to add a bit of flavour. 

for those who make mac and cheese: how do you make it? When we make homemade m&c we use cheddar cheese soup, milk and lots of cheese. I feel it wouldnt be great for her but not sure.. what is in yours? 
  • @cali1710 the Mac n cheese I make is butter flour milk and cheddar cheese topped with breadcrumbs than it goes in the oven for a few min til the breadcrumbs are brown.  
  • cali1710 said:
    @ekscopp we roast in olive oil and garlic and onion. We skip the salt but sometimes (depending what it is) will add a pinch of cayenne pepper or paprika or something to add a bit of flavour. 

for those who make mac and cheese: how do you make it? When we make homemade m&c we use cheddar cheese soup, milk and lots of cheese. I feel it wouldnt be great for her but not sure.. what is in yours? 
    I start with a roux, mix in homo milk, sharp cheddar, and broccoli. I used to bake it with breadcrumbs on top but now I consider it done when the sauce is ready. The stronger cheese means we need less of it. Fats are actually pretty good for LOs and that's most of what makes homemade mac n cheese unhealthy. It definitely isn't an everyday meal but I figure once every couple weeks is fine.
  • You can fold in pureed butternut squash to your Mac and cheese to sneak in extra veggies!