January 2016 Moms

Favorite toys?

I started an Amazon wish list for DS for Christmas/ birthday in case family or friends would like some ideas for him. DH and I are making him a busy board and a photo album with pictures of family. But of course I'm most familiar with the things he alrwady has! What are your baby's favorite toys or things you anticipate him/her enjoying in the next several months? Please share!

We've gotten a ton of mileage out of this learning walker: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0053X62GK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480440394&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40&keywords=vtech+learning+walker&dpPl=1&dpID=51TzUlAjlPL&ref=plSrch

Re: Favorite toys?

• We have that same walker and LO loves it! I found a busy box on a sale site for a few dollars and have gotten so much use out of it. He plays with it daily! 
    It's similar to this:https://www.amazon.com/Imagination-Generation-Wooden-Wonders-Activity/dp/B016CC4FMI/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1480441235&sr=8-10&keywords=Busy+box
  • Loading the player...
  • kodariahkodariah member
    edited November 2016
    We were told little people anything, it grows with them and goes from a fun toy to imaginative play. Keat loves book, so we got him a VTech musical book. We got some mega blocks cause he will play with his cousins and stack then and pull them apart. The we got him a xylophone and a little guitar cause we are very musical and he loves strumming by husbands guitar. Then some plush animals, and some tub toys. With his big toys, we were doing a busy board, a little four wheeler to ride, and a slide. 
    These are our Christmas, birthday list. All things that we think will grow with him and be favorite toys for a while. 
  • @kvacmak In our house it's the peices of plastic that slide over where the toilet seat gets screwed in. So gross. 

Other than that she jumps out of my arms at day care to play with the activity cube so that was her big gift from Santa.  We go this one: 

https://www.target.com/p/b-zany-zoo-wooden-activity-cube/-/A-12025312
  • Haha...I second what @kvacmak said! LO's favorite toy is an empty water bottle, a dirty sock, the remote control, also the blinds, and yeah...anything that ISN'T a toy. She does loved stuffed animals though. She gives them more hugs and kisses than she gives to DH or myself. Little stinker. Sorry...super unhelpful. Both DH and I said we should just wrap up some random items and she'd be ecstatic. 
  • cali1710cali1710 member
    edited November 2016
    She loves her walker thingy too! She loves her vtech book that sings nursery rhymes and anything that she can shake to make noise. I made her a ballpit by putting ball pit balls in her playpen. Lovesss it! I got her some books for xmas and these baby keys things. Both toys. Ive requested anything educational for her from family and friends. 
  • On my son's first birthday I gave him a Vtech activity cube. It's super annoying, but both kids love it. Both also love the side by side, swirly race track? I was shocked at how quickly the baby figured out how to put the car at the top and push it down. 

This year for Christmas, we are hoping to do a slide and ball pit. We are in a new house, with extra room, and since the kids are turning 1 and 2, whatever we get  will be played with by both. We got the alphabet floor puzzles to cover the entire floor, I'm hoping to get some colorful decorations, then a little tikes slide, that can go into an inflatable pool filled with plastic balls. 
  • OMG the dog dish... 
  • grkgdss00 said:
    OMG the dog dish... 
    yesssss! Shes like a magnet to it. Once she has it in sight she books it! 
  • cali1710 said:
    grkgdss00 said:
    OMG the dog dish... 
    Not proud to say it, but I've totally caught Brynlee eating dog food and even licking the bowl... She thinks the water bowl is clearly for swimming in as well. 
  • cali1710 said:
    grkgdss00 said:
    OMG the dog dish... 
    Haha Bruce too! he is obsessed. occasionally I'll just empty the water and let him play with it and it's pure joy for him hahaha
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • cali1710 said:
    grkgdss00 said:
    OMG the dog dish... 
    Not proud to say it, but I've totally caught Brynlee eating dog food and even licking the bowl... She thinks the water bowl is clearly for swimming in as well. 
    Yup same!
  • Yup I've had to move the kitty water and food bowls out of reach, because if they are in sight for a second, she totally books it. I'm sure she would eat it and lick it if I gave her the chance. 
  • On the topic of toys and kids enjoying anything that is not a toy, thought you may enjoy this article reviewing the top 5 toys for kids.  As a bonus, they're all very affordable and easy to get :) 
    https://www.wired.com/2011/01/the-5-best-toys-of-all-time/
  • I love the article!

We definitely have a dirty sock/dog bowl/spatula/etc. fan over here, but for some reason his grandparents want to buy him something more toy-like :) I stole a few ideas from you ladies-- thanks!
  • My son's favorite toy is the broom. He loves to be carried around while he drags the broom along. The mop will also do if he spots it. 
    Santa will be picking up a cleaning set for him and his sister who loves to dust. :)

The vtech walker was passed down to him from big sis and it has been well loved in our home. It's my go to gift for babies at this stage. 

• Jessdub10 said:
    My son's favorite toy is the broom. He loves to be carried around while he drags the broom along. The mop will also do if he spots it. 
    Santa will be picking up a cleaning set for him and his sister who loves to dust. :)
    Are your kids available for rent? Because this momma hates sweeping and dusting!  ;)
  • My baby loves her "mini melissa" boots...she even eats them. They smell like candy, i guess that's why. She loves to kiss the duck on the shoes.
  • Is anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the number of gifts their LO will receive this holiday season? We have a smaller house and are very minimalist when it comes to the amount of things we have... plus a birthday being less than a month later. Where does all the stuff go?? 
  • Is anyone else feeling overwhelmed by the number of gifts their LO will receive this holiday season? We have a smaller house and are very minimalist when it comes to the amount of things we have... plus a birthday being less than a month later. Where does all the stuff go?? 
    Yes! I just had this conversation with my husband last night. She has so much stuff already plus Christmas than birthday. Omg totally overwhelmed. 
  • @Becky012016 same here. So we are asking for his 1st birthday for everyone to write him a little note (if they want to include a special keepsake they can) that we will give to him on his 18th birthday. 
  • Yes! I keep telling people that if they really feel the need to get her something then get a toys r us card so we can buy outdoor toys in the summer or diapers or whatever! Or donate to her education fund but everyones all "she needs something to open!"  I'm grateful, don't get me wrong!! But noo she doesnt need anymore toys OR clothes. Gosh, So much clothing lol. 
  • I keep thinking about this also. I've started to tell people to get her clothes and toys she can grow into for summer. And books are always good too! 
  • @Becky012016 we also have a small house and are/were minimalists. My dd is 12/23 and ds 1/19. It's going to be Armageddon no matter how you do the math! Right before b-day and xmas we have dd who's 4, take inventory of her things and, decide what to donate. We've been doing this since she was 2. Our families know by now how particular we are.
    ds favorite thing is to book it to the toilet paper tool and se is he can unravel any of before I can catch him. He also has thing for yarn.
    i want to get him a tambourine he already has a drum and like tintest anything for sound.
  • Since most of our friends and family don't spend much time at our house I intend to donate a lot of gifts to the local family shelters.