February 2017 Moms

Do you consider yourself a feminist?

2»

Re: Do you consider yourself a feminist?

• edited December 2016
    I voted other because I consider myself more of a "humanist" if there is such a thing. I'm for everyone's rights (including animals).  
    While,  yes,  I definitely do support equality for women and we still have a ways to go.  But I just don't like what the term "feminist" has become. 
    And I don't like that some women will throw the feminist card around because their date opened the car door for them or because he paid for her dinner.  I think those are insignificant points to get so upset about. Dude's just being nice.  
    But when it comes to issues like equal pay and maternity leave,  yes, i totally support those!!

• Loading the player...
  • I have heard 2 women say at different times and places that they are feminists while using examples of a man holding open a door for them, and a man giving up their seat for a woman. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous, but they are both very strongly opinionated, passionate, people who believe anything a man can do, they can too. To them they feel it's special treatment. I realize there is a lot more to it, but the problem is that some women actually act like that and can cause the term to seem negative. It seemed to me like afkash possibly ran into women similar to the 2 I know, and was saying she dididn't back up their feelings? 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yup @kswiger06! I've met quite a few women who do that.  And that's why people/men roll their eyes when you say that you're a feminist.  

• If you guys are raising your daughters to believe that men and women are equal and deserve the same rights that makes you an active feminist. I mean really just having the belief and living your life believing you deserve equality makes you a feminist but raising your kids that way makes you pretty damn active 
    If these are the qualities that determine a feminist, then my Dad was the best feminist I've ever known... because he surely raised me to kick butt and be on an equal playing field with boys.

However, I voted no similar to PP, because I believe in our equality but I'm not actively lobbying, nor is it a term I regularly use. I also feel like there can be a negative reaction to "feminism" as a term, so I tend to broach equality topics without that term. IE, yes women should earn the same as men for the same job, period.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • I voted and ran earlier today. I voted no because I'm not actively doing anything to advance rights (I'm not super political that way either). I see I'be received benefits from feminists' actions and believe men & women are equals. I agree that while the term feminists isn't negative, a negative association has been made with the term. I like having doors opened for me or the man buying dinner (and agree it's not a contract for sex).

I suppose the tl:dr version is: I haven't spent the time to do well-rounded research on the term and I probably should, after seeing everyone's responses.

I wouldn't switch my vote just yet as I haven't refined my definition, but I can see my definition definitely needs revising.
  • I definitely don't think that personal
    involvement in political activism is required to be a feminist. It's more about how you live your life and your personal beliefs. Stop me if your book disagrees with that @PerraSucia
  • @Xstatic3333 I agree with you 100%. This thread has been illuminating to me in so many ways. People clearly don't think of the term with the same defining characteristics and that seems to be what's causing a disconnect. 
  • Totally @homemake! I'm pretty sure we'd all agree on the issues (probable exception of the reproductive rights issues with religious connections) but the term seems to be even more loaded than I realized. I would love to see it broadened in a way that moves beyond the current stereotypes. 
  • skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited December 2016
    Just saw this on facebook and thought damn this hits what I was thinking about teaching my son about feminism. 

https://www.littlethings.com/we-must-saying-boys-will-be-boys/?utm_source=LTcom&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_campaign=NVcomment 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • @krob where are you getting your feminist onesie from? I think it was you who said that earlier
  • @krob YES.

My example: My H believes in equal rights for women and loves that he married a strong, intelligent woman. But he and I were watching Michael Che's stand up on Netflix and Che was saying that he doesn't want daughters or gay sons bc he doesn't want a dick to penetrate his kid. Che said was being accused of being homophobic for that comment. I told H that it wasn't homophobic. It was sexist. H didn't understand why I thought that and I was really struggling to explain why (pregnancy brain=trouble finding words.) But to me, this is a small example of why we need feminism. Michael Che can go on a huge rant about how racism isn't funny and then say 30 sexist things and no one says sh*t.
  • @homemake there are ton of options on etsy. Some are pretty expensive but I don't care. I can't wait to see people completely freak out over it. LOL
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17