January 2016 Moms

Whole milk?

Anyone still giving their baby formula? My son will be one on Christmas and I'm going to be stopping his bottles and switching to whole milk or skim. I'm just wondering how I should do so. He still doesn't sleep through the night so I'm afraid that's going to make it worse. Help! 

Re: Whole milk?

• I plan to start giving my baby whole milk end of December. She isn't one until end of January but I'm going to start the weaning process in December. I'm going to start by doing a quarter of her bottle formula and milk and then after a week or so half of the bottle formula milk and then three quarters and then eventually all milk.
  • At her last check up her doctor said to start weaning her off of her formula at 11 months (the 16th) and by the time she's 12 months she should be getting 3 6oz bottles of just whole milk. I'm going to gradually wean her as @cali1710 mentioned. My sister in law said it took forever for both my niece and nephew to be on just whole milk because they kept on having diarrhea. Hopefully it goes well! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @JanuarysBaby1 are you also going to start gradually decreasing the amount of formula too ordonor do that after a year? Right now Claire drinks 3 x 8oz bottles. 
  • cali1710 said:
    @JanuarysBaby1 are you also going to start gradually decreasing the amount of formula too ordonor do that after a year? Right now Claire drinks 3 x 8oz bottles. 
    I'll probably start to decrease formula too to see how that goes. Right now she usually gets 4 8oz bottles a day but lately she's only drinking about 6 out of that 8. She's not a great eater so I'm not sure how that'll go. But I can't wait for to be off of formula lol  
  • With my son if he was drinking an 8 oz bottle, I would make it with 6 oz of formula and 2 oz milk, then after a few days I'd increase the milk/decrease the formula by 2 oz. My biggest issue, although the doctors never batted an eye at it, was that he gained quite a bit of weight from it. After a couple months of straight milk, I had to water it down. He's almost 2 now and still drinks his whole milk watered down. 
  • Alex is 11 months old and has been drinking whole milk for about a month now. I cut the cows milk with my milk with my first son, but with Alex I just put it in a sippy cup and gave it to him. He loves it and I've swapped out a nursing session for the cows milk. I was told to give them whole milk until they are 2, then I could switch to 2% or skim, until then they need the extra fat from the whole milk.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• grkgdss00grkgdss00 member
    edited December 2016
    I'll prob keep my girl on formula until our 12 month checkup, and hear what the doc has to say then. Whole milk doesn't have DHA, essential fatty acids, iron, vitamin c, so i'm going to keep at it until I have to switch. I'm in no hurry. I am however going to start giving her her daytime bottles in sippy cups so she can get used to that, and gradually switch the morning/bedtime also. She eats yogurt, cottage cheese and other cheeses with whole milk so we are introducing those proteins anyways. I'm curious as to why people switch so soon? 
  • Is there some sort of rule that says you HAVE TO give baby milk? I just don't see the reasoning... DH and I rarely drink milk so I don't get why I should be giving it to LO. he's breastfed so I'll probably keep going as long as he tolerates but even then we're only down to 3 feeds a day, 4 if he takes his bedtime feed which he rarely does these days. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @kvacmak We aren't giving milk, but that's mostly due to a cow's milk allergy. Even if he didn't have an allergy, DH and I don't drink milk, so I rarely keep it in the house. As long as they are getting the calcium and other nutrients from other foods, I don't see any reason to be giving milk. Besides, cow's milk is perfectly engineered for baby cows, not baby humans. Definitely talk to your pediatrician too though to make sure they are getting the proper nutrients through other foods.
  • You really shouldn't be giving your kid milk other than Breastmilk or formula yet 

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc
  • jblake320 said:
    You really shouldn't be giving your kid milk other than Breastmilk or formula yet 

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc
    This whole article only reinforces me not wanting to worry about giving him milk as a regular thing. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We are going to transition to unsweetened almond milk rather than cows milk. DH and I drink it so it makes sense that Nolan will, too. Our pedi is all for it since he loves yogurt, cheese and other sources of good fats and nutrients.
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • kvacmak said:
    Is there some sort of rule that says you HAVE TO give baby milk? I just don't see the reasoning... DH and I rarely drink milk so I don't get why I should be giving it to LO. he's breastfed so I'll probably keep going as long as he tolerates but even then we're only down to 3 feeds a day, 4 if he takes his bedtime feed which he rarely does these days. 
    They just need the fat and calcium, and its easiest given as milk since they are used to it. You can give cheese, yogurt, etc as well. Just be sure to give baby a balanced diet with plenty of healthy fats. 
  • My pediatrician said you can give whole milk after 10 months...new research shows mothers milk is not beneficial anymore after 10 months.. my baby weaned herself at 7 months, and started loosing  interest in pumped breast milk. I started adding 1 oz of goats milk in her bottles, she loves it now. I'm doing 50% goat milk+50% Bm until 1yr. Goat milk is easier to digest, and is closest to mothers milk in nutrition content, compared to cows milk. I use meyenberg whole milk..I use it in her morning cereal too. 
  • Anyone's LO on just whole milk yet? We started the transition about a week and a half ago but I'm stretching it out because we have a few bottles of formula left that I felt bad wasting. 
  • Anyone's LO on just whole milk yet? We started the transition about a week and a half ago but I'm stretching it out because we have a few bottles of formula left that I felt bad wasting. 
    I'm not yet, going to wait until I talk to the dr about it on the 23rd. Hows it going so far? Are you also weaning down on the amount youre feeding her? 
  • @cali1710 so far so good! I had intentions on weaning her on the amount but never did. She gets half and half right now so she gets 4oz of whole milk and 4oz of formula. Sometimes she doesn't even drink the whole thing but I feel obligated to offer it to her just in case she wants more lol. 
  • MamabeagleMamabeagle member
    edited January 2017
    cali1710 said:
    Anyone's LO on just whole milk yet? We started the transition about a week and a half ago but I'm stretching it out because we have a few bottles of formula left that I felt bad wasting. 
    I'm not yet, going to wait until I talk to the dr about it on the 23rd. Hows it going so far? Are you also weaning down on the amount youre feeding her? 
    We've been doing 3 ounces milk and 2 of formula for about a month, and I finished his tub of formula today so I just started all milk today. And in a sippy cup. Big changes over here
  • @Mamabeagle we have started giving her sippy cups! Do you use straws or the hard nipple ones? How many 5oz  bottles to you give a day? 
  • cali1710 said:
    @Mamabeagle we have started giving her sippy cups! Do you use straws or the hard nipple ones? How many 5oz  bottles to you give a day? 
    5 or 6 depending on naps, he usually leaves an ounce or two though. We are using a hard sippy. He drinks water from an open cup but its so messy I am not willing to make that transition with his milk. I just feel pretty lost about what I'm doing but keep rolling with it. 
  • I'm not planning on introducing dairy milk until spring maybe at lunch or something. We nurse in demand and blw. I remember it being tough on my oldest tummy at 14m.
  • My LO will drink a little whole milk from my spoon when I'm eating cereal, but she won't have it any other way. And she has been refusing any other form of milk that's not straight from my breast for months now. So I'm not sure what were going to do! 
  • cali1710 said:
    @Mamabeagle we have started giving her sippy cups! Do you use straws or the hard nipple ones? How many 5oz  bottles to you give a day? 
    5 or 6 depending on naps, he usually leaves an ounce or two though. We are using a hard sippy. He drinks water from an open cup but its so messy I am not willing to make that transition with his milk. I just feel pretty lost about what I'm doing but keep rolling with it. 
    We use the 360 sippy and i LOVE them! Its the closest think to a real cup.
  • We use the 360 sippy and i LOVE them! Its the closest think to a real cup.
    Ive heard they are awesome! I should try one!
  • We saw the doc yesterday for 1 yr appointment.  She gave us the green light to start cows milk.  I still have some pumped milk in the freezer and we nurse when we are together, but I am done with the pump!!!!  She tried about 100 mls of cow milk last night and it was a hit.  The doc said to watch for constipation and that we would be aiming for about 18oz of cow and mamas milk a day to promote eating solids.  She also said she saw no need for a gradual intro.
  • We are about 50/50 cow milk/formula right now, just cause I still have some formula to burn through. We had her 12 month checkup this week and doctor gave the OK for 100% of the time whole milk, and weaning off bottle. He said to shoot for 16oz per day and more real food. She's been having 3 x 4oz bottles (morning, after nap 1 and before nap 2), dinner, then a 6oz bottle before bed. I think we're going to wean off the 3rd bottle though and focus on snacks before nap, and dinner on wakeup. We've also switched to sippy cups with milk during the daytime, and will work on the morning/night bottle. She's been great with the cows milk, no troubles, and has drank from a sippy cup with water for a long time so is used to it. I just notice she drinks less milk if it's from a sippy cup.
  • KFrobKFrob member
    edited January 2017
    We're doing 50/50 whole milk and formula, but LO is still drinking about 25oz a day! We do three meals and snacks and at this point I'm not sure how to get her to cut back on the bottles. She's also a pro with the sippy cup for water but won't drink formula out of it. I'm dreading the transition. We have our Drs appointment tomorrow morning and plan in asking about it. 

Edit spelling 
  • @kfrob so we found that if its in a bottle, he will drain it. He went from six 5 ounce bottles (30 ounces daily) to three 5 ounce bottles (morning wake up, and after both naps, when he is inconsolable other than a bottle) in one day with water and milk offered in sippys the rest of the time. No problems at all. He just eats solids instead. Give it a try!
  • I talked to the Dr and she said that at 25 oz we are in the high end but as long as she's eating plenty of solids don't worry about it.  We just have to make sure that the milk/formula isn't replacing solids. She also said to try to give her more water. 
  • @KFrob I was worried about the amounts too at first, but just start cutting back an ounce or two at a time. This week we cut morning bottles from 6oz to 4oz and even though she would drink more, she doesn't make a fuss about it cause she's still get some milk + breakfast after. :)