Parenting

Video Games/Child with Learning Disability

Husband requests a PlayStation for Christmas.  1st grader was diagnosed with dyslexia, is one year behind in reading, and is being evaluated for ADD.  How do you respond?  I don't plan to buy the PS (I will buy another requested item instead), but am frustrated that DH even made the request.  Why do I have to be the bad guy?  Why even put me in the position of having to say no?  Is my gut reaction (to think this is a bad idea and not buy a PS) unreasonable?  How do I respond when DH pouts about my not letting them have a PS?

Re: Video Games/Child with Learning Disability

• moonbeem said:
    Husband requests a PlayStation for Christmas.  1st grader was diagnosed with dyslexia, is one year behind in reading, and is being evaluated for ADD.  How do you respond?  I don't plan to buy the PS (I will buy another requested item instead), but am frustrated that DH even made the request.  Why do I have to be the bad guy?  Why even put me in the position of having to say no?  Is my gut reaction (to think this is a bad idea and not buy a PS) unreasonable?  How do I respond when DH pouts about my not letting them have a PS?
    First, you aren't your DHs' mother so I don't see why, as a grown adult, he can't go purchase this on his own.

Second, what does your child's dyslexia, possible ADD, and reading level have to do with your DH?

Third, I can't say whether your gut reaction is reasonable or not because I don't know why you don't want your DH to have one.  If you expanded on this a bit, I might be able to give this an answer.

If you're at all concerned about having a PS in the house and having to wonder about your son playing with it, then monitor his use.  Get a couple of age-appropriate games, hide the adult ones, and only let him play for a specific amount of time.  Once his time is up, he stops playing.

I'm missing the issue here.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker