September 2015 Moms
Options

Time for a big bed?

Tonight I tried putting LO in her big bed-total flop. After an hour of putting her back in bed every time she got out, I got frustrated and put her in her crib-and she went right to sleep. Grrr!! 

The crib is in our master bedroom, we want it to return to an adult space. LO's new bed is a twin mattress on the floor (in the corner) of DD1's room. The room is childproofed, with a gate at the door, and DD1 sleeps like a rock and is excited to share a room (the second bed was moved in there while I was pregnant).

Any advice? Has anyone else moved a LO to a bed that was doing well in a crib? I considered moving the crib, but I would rather be done with it. She can walk and climb. We've started doing standing diaper changes in the bathroom and offering a potty (she peed in it before bath tonight). I don't want to reassemble the crib only to have to take it down a few months down the road!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Time for a big bed?

• Options
    jen83mnjen83mn member
    edited November 2016
    We plan on keeping LO in his crib until he attempts to climb out. He's big for his age (high 80s percentile for height and weight), but he hasn't made any attempts to climb out and LOVES his crib. I'm in no hurry to move him out (for the very reasons you listed your little one just tried!). If your LO is sleeping well in the crib right now, no need to move her unless you're ready to deal with the consequences! Granted, no matter when you move her, it'll be an adjustment, so it may just be prolonging the inevitable, but maybe she's just not ready to have all that freedom and feels more secure in her crib? Good luck whatever you decide to do!

Totally understanding wanting her out of your bedroom though! We moved LO at 4 months once he became much more aware of us and was waking up whenever we rolled over; it is definitely nice to have your own space!
  • Options
    I would either move the crib first or put the mattress on the floor in your room and let her get used to that. Those are 2 big transitions that you are trying to do at once. When she's in the new room in her big girl bed, you might have to put a baby gate across the doorway to keep her from wandering at night provided your older one can get out to use the bathroom. 

We moved DD to her room when she was 6 months old and are planning to keep her in her crib at least until she's ready to potty train or until she starts trying to climb out. Maybe a toddler bed before the twin bed would help since she is used to sleeping in an enclosed space? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Buy bed rails for the mattress, they are like 20 bucks at babies r us. It helps keep LO from falling off the bed, and it gives the feel of the crib. 
    Transitions to big beds are tough, especially if the kiddo knows they can get out of bed. It's going to be a tough few nights, but they will get it.  Once they are a little older, the okay to wake clock is awesome. You set it and the clock turns green when it's okay to get out of their room. This way if they wake up before you, they can play in their room until it's "time to get up."
  • Options
    DD1 used a floor bed in a child proofed room (with a gate at the door) from 8 months old. So she never really crawled out of bed until morning, because initially I was still sitting with her while she fell asleep. She turns 4 this month, still has the gate (has a potty for emergencies, but she's usually fine to wait til morning) and 'reads' to her dolls in the morning until we come and open her gate. 

I thought with this set up, throwing LO in would be easy-not the case... they are so different!

I have a big bedrail from bedsharing in the beginning, I'll put that on, and maybe it'll help her feel more secure. I'm going to try again on the weekend.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD1 used a floor bed in a child proofed room (with a gate at the door) from 8 months old. So she never really crawled out of bed until morning, because initially I was still sitting with her while she fell asleep. She turns 4 this month, still has the gate (has a potty for emergencies, but she's usually fine to wait til morning) and 'reads' to her dolls in the morning until we come and open her gate. 

I thought with this set up, throwing LO in would be easy-not the case... they are so different!

I have a big bedrail from bedsharing in the beginning, I'll put that on, and maybe it'll help her feel more secure. I'm going to try again on the weekend.
    This is literally my life.  DS1 and DS2 are so different and basically have opposite personalities.  It has been an interesting learning experience since I'm basically a FTM all over again.  Nothing that worked with my oldest works with my younger child and vice versa. Seriously, my 3 year old has thrown MAYBE 4 tantrums in his entire life, my 1.5 year old throws about 4 tantrums every day. I try to remind myself to work with what I have.  Sometimes the little one is capable of something his brother was at that age, sometimes he is much more advanced and capable of more.  It's easier just to parent them as individuals rather than stick to any one idea for both.  I'm sure in a week or two I will be right back at square one with number 3, who will undoubtedly be unlike either of his brothers. 

I'd give it another shot but there isn't any shame in back tracking or figuring out an entirely new situation that works for your family like a toddler bed or a bed on the floor in your room. 

• Options
    My son sleeps on a cot at daycare and they say he will crawl onto it when it is time for nap but we are having number two in may and I need to move him from his room and the crib by then! I am thinking of doing it around march hopefully his bedroom is ready then. I will just place pool noodles under the fitted sheet to keep him from rolling off the bed at that time but as to how he will react I am unsure and not looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    Baby is 14 months and has always slept with me and nursed all night. I am now pregnant again and need my space for a bit, so I laid down the law and moved her to her own room, a full size bed that has a box spring on the floor. I taught her to climb down out of bed on her own, and she has mastered it. Now, we are 3 days into weaning and she has taken naps each day on her new bed, and sleeps through the night on her new bed with no issues (and no mama's milk)!!! It was time, and she was obviously ready, even though it took some direction and encouragement. 

I totally understand being done with the crib, but if she isn't ready, she isn't ready. I would store the mattress for a few weeks and move the crib into its place. You'd be surprised what even just a few weeks can do! Try again in January. 

Good luck mama! 
  • Options
    @mrscaterosales We are waiting for bedrails and planning to do the same thing as you are. Same situation of nursing and cosleeping. We still nurse twice a night. I am nervous about the transition but ready. Did you have to sleep with her in the new bed to get her use to it? We tried a toddler bed last month, hoping that if he knew he could get out he wouldn't wake up upset. He just kept waking every two hours. Like you said, a month could make a big difference. 

I am also afraid I will miss LO and regret weaning.
  • Options
    @KristiSigma Yes I slept with her the first two nights, but not during naps. Now she sleeps through the night on her own. I just tuck her in and turn her singing gloworm on and tell her to go to sleep (that is kind of our routine). I thought I would miss nursing WAY more than I actually do haha! I was sad for a day, and quickly got used to sleeping through the night and working all day without having to pump or nurse. Good luck mama!
  • Options
    We ditched the crib at 11 months since she wouldn't sleep in it.  Instead she sleeps on her mattress on her floor.  Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker