September 2015 Moms

Lead Testing: Did You Get This Done?

jen83mnjen83mn member
edited November 2016 in September 2015 Moms
At our 1-year appt, we were told about the blood test for lead (a finger prick), but opted to wait since LO already was upset over his shots for the month. 

Has anyone else had this test done? Is it necessary if we know our LO hasn't been exposed to lead? (Our house was built after lead paint was banned - 1986 - and so was his childcare's house - 2015). 

Just wondering how important it is we do this test. LO is going in for blood testing for allergies in a few weeks, so if possible I just want them to draw enough blood for both at that time so we don't have to go in twice. 

Thoughts? I'm all about following the recommended schedule, just not sure if this test is necessary given our situation. Thanks!

Re: Lead Testing: Did You Get This Done?

• We did it. I was procrastinating after the 9month appointment ans got a call to remind me and then the doctor scolded me at the 1 yr appointment about getting it done. Went to Quest diagnostics nearby so it was quick and easy.  Our house is from the 1920s so it gives me peace of mind to know test came back with no issues. 
  • We did it just as a precaution. I would say that as long as they have to draw blood, you might as well have it checked, especially because there is lead in water faucets and pipes too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We did at his 1 year. Right after his shots. Man he was pissed but it was quick. Lead causes so many issues physically and developmentally. I was happy to make sure he was safe you know?
  • Thank you, all! I'll ask to get it done at the same time as his allergy testing all in one shot - I don't want him to have to go through it twice!
  • We did the finger prick for lead and LO didn't even flinch. We didn't have to go to get blood drawn at a lab. The reason they test for lead is because a lot of toys come from China. They are not suppose to use lead paint on toys but the country is loose with enforcing this and sometimes toys with lead paint gets to our country. Kids place things in there mouths and can injest lead. That was the explanation from my pediatrician.
  • We did the finger prick for lead and LO didn't even flinch. We didn't have to go to get blood drawn at a lab. The reason they test for lead is because a lot of toys come from China. They are not suppose to use lead paint on toys but the country is loose with enforcing this and sometimes toys with lead paint gets to our country. Kids place things in there mouths and can injest lead. That was the explanation from my pediatrician.
    Makes sense! I have him set up with the lab to get both done at the same time; not sure if he'll be doing a finger prick or IV since it depends on the amount they need for allergy testing, but hoping for the finger prick!
  • We had that drawn at the same time as iron levels for anemia. They can go hand in hand so our pediatrician draws both. My little guy had an additional six tubes of blood drawn due to blood disorders that run in the family. He survived that so I'm sure a simple finger stick would be a lot less tramatic. 
  • Our pediatrician wants us to get it done and I haven't yet. I know he'll be upset at follow up visit but I'm not concerned that I feel I had to rush to do it. Our house was built in 1998. Is it finger prick? I heard it was done in the arm so I've been avoiding it!! 
  • I didn't even know this was a thing! I'm going to ask about it next time
  • kassyfry said:
    We had that drawn at the same time as iron levels for anemia. They can go hand in hand so our pediatrician draws both. My little guy had an additional six tubes of blood drawn due to blood disorders that run in the family. He survived that so I'm sure a simple finger stick would be a lot less tramatic. 
    Yeah, my pediatrician mentioned they test hemoglobin too (which is related to iron levels), so I do want to get that tested for sure! Sorry your little guy had to have so much blood drawn! Ours may end up being an IV depending on how much blood they need for the allergy testing, but I would definitely prefer a finger prick!
  • I didn't even know this was a thing! I'm going to ask about it next time
    Same! I feel like I'm never told about this kind of stuff from my obgyn(with pregnancy issues) and this for LO from Pediatration!!!! How?! It's kind of annoying. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    I didn't even know this was a thing! I'm going to ask about it next time
    Same! I feel like I'm never told about this kind of stuff from my obgyn(with pregnancy issues) and this for LO from Pediatration!!!! How?! It's kind of annoying. 
    I found this chart that lists the immunizations and health screenings for kids by age - it's super helpful! Might be nice to reference before each exam so you can inquire about something if the doc doesn't bring it up!

I know I'll be printing it off! I almost forgot to schedule his 15-month doc appt and thought he didn't need to go back until 18 months. (Silly me was probably thinking about the jump from 12 months to 18 months in clothing!)

https://www.bluecrossma.com/wps/portal/members/healthier-living/manage-my-health/immunizations-healthy-kids/