April 2016 Moms

Multiple and extended wake ups

Am I alone on this? My DD is still waking up 3-6 times a night. And sometimes one or more of those wakings will last up to 2 hours. I feel like I'm doing something wrong even though I've been-there-done-this twice before.
I'm so exhausted. I just want her to start sleeping better. I thought my oldest was bad, but this baby takes the prize for worst sleeper! Lol Commiserate with me if you're in a similar boat :smile:

Re: Multiple and extended wake ups

• Thisnone started out as an amazing sleeper, like my #3. Unfortunately, just like #3, he has gotten worse. Right now, he's teething, so he's up a lot. I actually don't mind co-sleeping with him in his room/guest room, but he wants to be on the boob all night if I'm in there wth him. Annoying!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Super exhausted mom here, although I've weaned my LO off of breastmilk at night and started offering her water instead. Apparently they would stop waking up after 3-4 nights of giving them water. Mine didn't. I think the reason is that I give her water then rock her to sleep so there's still an association with sleep. But to be fair, she started sleeping for a stretch of 4-5 hours in the beginning of the night then it's downhill after that (up every 1-2 hours).

oh and we are back to swaddling. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Trapped in the seventh circle of sleep hell here. Tonight we moved her crib back into our room to see if that helps... Two wakeups so far...
    kids with flags
  • I am so glad I am not alone! L is up every 2-3 hours all. night. long. We are really struggling. I cannot figure out what we are doing wrong. She goes to sleep just fine on her own. Solid before sleep routine since she was 3 months. Blackout curtains, white noise machine. We've tried cool/warm pajamams, sleep sack/no sleep sack. Ugh!!!!!!! The only thing that puts her back to sleep in the middle of the night is nursing and it's all she wants. I know that this is just a small blip in the big picture and she is already getting big way to fast but it is so hard to function on no sleep!!! Thank you for the vent. I also don't want to hear about any babies sleeping 10-11 hour stretches...my sleep deprived mental state is not able to take it...happy for any of you but still don't want to hear about it lol
    You're not doing anything wrong. It's very normal for breastfed babies to be waking up often at night. Check this article out. It made me feel better 
    https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37765001
  • @marwaaiad thanks so much for sharing the article! Made a lot of sense.
  • Can't read the posted article because I'm mobile, but 6/7 months is when separation anxiety usually sets in, so that may be what's going on with all of our zombie babies.

• Ugh, a night with less that 3/4 wakings and feedings is what we call success over here. DD was, and still is, a champion sleeper.  This little dude is all over  the place. One night he'll only wake up 3 times between 630 & 6. The next night, he'll be up 8 times. Another zombie mom over here.
  • edited November 2016
    The only way DD2 will sleep in her crib is if she's snuggling a soft blanket. Of course the thing is a death hazard, so I let her snuggle it when I lay her down and then carefully peel it away a few minutes later. The last couple of nights, every time I peel it away she wakes up.

kids with flags
  • Lol the memes you guys use are so funny! Where do you find them?? 
  • marwaaiad said:
    Lol the memes you guys use are so funny! Where do you find them?? 
    I usually use  https://giphy.com
    kids with flags
  • brenlo42 said:
    The only way DD2 will sleep in her crib is if she's snuggling a soft blanket. Of course the thing is a death hazard, so I let her snuggle it when I lay her down and then carefully peel it away a few minutes later. The last couple of nights, every time I peel it away she wakes up.

Have you asked your pediatrician about blankets? At my daughter's 6 month appt I asked and was told that although the official recommendation is to wait til 1 year, once they have good strength and roll both ways it is much safer and I could use my judgement.  I have a knit blanket with a very open weave that has never ended up on her face (I put it over her up to mid chest and she seems to find comfort in touching it).  I feel confident she would push it off if it ended up on her face, but also the weave lets air through the holes. 
  • mb0112 said:
    brenlo42 said:

Have you asked your pediatrician about blankets? At my daughter's 6 month appt I asked and was told that although the official recommendation is to wait til 1 year, once they have good strength and roll both ways it is much safer and I could use my judgement.  I have a knit blanket with a very open weave that has never ended up on her face (I put it over her up to mid chest and she seems to find comfort in touching it).  I feel confident she would push it off if it ended up on her face, but also the weave lets air through the holes. 
    I was comfortable letting my first three have A&A blankets by this point, but this one still isn't completely proficient at rolling over both ways, or pulling things away from his face. I let him have a small handkerchief-sized A&A-material lovey that I made.
  • I have a question about blankets too. My son had gotten pretty good at rolling back and forth, and was sleeping in one position all night long. Since his PNP is right under the vent in our room, I began letting him have a blanket around 5 months. Now it's a pretty significant sleep tool for him, he instantly passes out once he grabs it.

My problem is the last week, he has decided to spend the nighttime focusing on trying to master crawling. He is now rolling around and getting himself burrito-wrapped in his blanket very quickly... at all hours of the night. I wake up and he is army crawling all over, pushing up, rolling every which way. He's holding his own baby boot camp in there, every single night. 

I'm worried the blanket could get around his head or neck with that level of activity, and hurt him. He cries without it, and waiting until he falls asleep to over him isn't an option bc he wakes up at 3am and decides it's the perfect time to gym it up.

What would you ladies do? So far I've just been leaving him without it and dealing with lots of crying. 
  • @Missingchampagne My first instinct would probably to resize the blanket so that it is unwrappable. Of course this would depend on the kind of blanket that you have. It would give him the comfort of having that blanket but in a mini version.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Saw this poll over at Glow. Multiple wake ups with eating still takes the lead! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a question about blankets too. My son had gotten pretty good at rolling back and forth, and was sleeping in one position all night long. Since his PNP is right under the vent in our room, I began letting him have a blanket around 5 months. Now it's a pretty significant sleep tool for him, he instantly passes out once he grabs it.

My problem is the last week, he has decided to spend the nighttime focusing on trying to master crawling. He is now rolling around and getting himself burrito-wrapped in his blanket very quickly... at all hours of the night. I wake up and he is army crawling all over, pushing up, rolling every which way. He's holding his own baby boot camp in there, every single night. 

I'm worried the blanket could get around his head or neck with that level of activity, and hurt him. He cries without it, and waiting until he falls asleep to over him isn't an option bc he wakes up at 3am and decides it's the perfect time to gym it up.

What would you ladies do? So far I've just been leaving him without it and dealing with lots of crying. 
    Mine rolls himself up too, and it kind of freaks me out. I now only let him have the blanket for naps (because I check on him pretty often and it's a lightweight A&A blanket) and just dress him extra warmly at night. He loves the blanket, but when he was around 6 months we bought him a little soft boy baby doll to sleep with. That has become his "lovey" and he doesn't mind not having the blanket to cuddle with. 
  • mb0112 said:
    brenlo42 said:

I was comfortable letting my first three have A&A blankets by this point, but this one still isn't completely proficient at rolling over both ways, or pulling things away from his face. I let him have a small handkerchief-sized A&A-material lovey that I made.
    I am letting DD have an A&A blanket. She loves to touch them and bunch it up in her hands when she's falling asleep. She rolls really well both directions and is very strong, so I'm not worried.
  • redselig said:
    @Missingchampagne My first instinct would probably to resize the blanket so that it is unwrappable. Of course this would depend on the kind of blanket that you have. It would give him the comfort of having that blanket but in a mini version.
    I was thinking the same thing. Or maybe you could tie it in a knot so that he still has it to grab but not wrap up in.
  • mb0112 said:
    brenlo42 said:

I haven't talked to our ped about it... I am currently trying to replace the fuzzy blanket with a soft sleep sack since R is really not good at rolling both ways yet (just did back to belly for the first time today). I did let her snooze with the blanket for a bit a couple of nights ago out of desperation. It makes me feel a bit better cause it's a crocheted blanket, so it's got some holes, but I still don't feel 100% comfortable with it.
    kids with flags
  • Ugh, a night with less that 3/4 wakings and feedings is what we call success over here. DD was, and still is, a champion sleeper.  This little dude is all over  the place. One night he'll only wake up 3 times between 630 & 6. The next night, he'll be up 8 times. Another zombie mom over here.
    This sounds exactly like what we do on a nightly basis. We get excited with only 3 wake ups and then it all goes out the window the next night. The no consistency is tough!
  • Mine was doing 2 quick feeding wake ups and going back to sleep easily, but this past week has been awful! When I put her in the crib at the beginning of the night she screams or sometimes she does ok at bedtime but then screams after the night feedings.  I tried to let her cry it out but she will go for long periods and the only thing that settles her is being held or laid next to me.  I don't want to create a bad habit but I need my sleep so I've been giving in! 
  • mb0112 said:
    Mine was doing 2 quick feeding wake ups and going back to sleep easily, but this past week has been awful! When I put her in the crib at the beginning of the night she screams or sometimes she does ok at bedtime but then screams after the night feedings.  I tried to let her cry it out but she will go for long periods and the only thing that settles her is being held or laid next to me.  I don't want to create a bad habit but I need my sleep so I've been giving in! 
    I understand completely. With my first 2, I was adamant about them sleeping in their own beds and not creating bad habits. With this babe, I am so much more lax.... I wish she would sleep in our bed just so I could get more sleep... but she doesn't want to be in our bed. She sleeps worse there. She basically just wants to be awake all the time. lol
  • mb0112 said:
    Mine was doing 2 quick feeding wake ups and going back to sleep easily, but this past week has been awful! When I put her in the crib at the beginning of the night she screams or sometimes she does ok at bedtime but then screams after the night feedings.  I tried to let her cry it out but she will go for long periods and the only thing that settles her is being held or laid next to me.  I don't want to create a bad habit but I need my sleep so I've been giving in! 
    I understand completely. With my first 2, I was adamant about them sleeping in their own beds and not creating bad habits. With this babe, I am so much more lax.... I wish she would sleep in our bed just so I could get more sleep... but she doesn't want to be in our bed. She sleeps worse there. She basically just wants to be awake all the time. lol
    Mine sleeps well in my bed but I don't!  I sleep light with her there because I think I'm worried about keeping her in place.  We are definitely in a "wonder week" and I'm hoping this might just help give us both some hours of sleep by giving in for now, but go right back to her crib when this week is over.... anyone have experience with that working? 

• mb0112 said:
    mb0112 said:
    Mine sleeps well in my bed but I don't!  I sleep light with her there because I think I'm worried about keeping her in place.  We are definitely in a "wonder week" and I'm hoping this might just help give us both some hours of sleep by giving in for now, but go right back to her crib when this week is over.... anyone have experience with that working? 

I've lost track of the wonder weeks. what week are you in?
  • LO just mastered sitting, rolling, and pincer grasp in the last week. He also got 2 teeth a couple weeks ago. No wonder he's been awake all night! 
  • mb0112 said:
    mb0112 said:

I've lost track of the wonder weeks. what week are you in?
    Week 37 is a wonder week but according to the chart it can last 4 weeks (eeek!) and peak around 35-37.  You go by the due date which makes mine 36 weeks tomorrow (we were due in March but born late).  The leap is "world of categories" but it has a lot to do with clinginess which I think is also related to her newfound mobility.