1st Trimester

No appetite to eat healthy?

So I'm 6 1/2 weeks pregnant and I found out when I was 4 1/2 weeks. Before I found out I was pregnant I was starting to eat healthy again and loved it. For the past week or so every time I see any healthy food, I get sick to my stomach and cannot bring myself to even smell it without gagging. All I can tolerate are chicken nuggets or pizza rolls. I take prenatal vitamins every day and drink a glass of milk every morning though. I don't know what's wrong with me and why I can't eat my healthy foods! I don't go over my recommended calories per day, but the food I eat has little nutritional value. My question is, will this hurt my baby if I eat this same way until I get my appetite back? I heard that babies get the nutrients they need from us no matter what and that they don't need as much nutritional support in the first trimester as they do in the others. I don't plan on eating this way forever, just until I can tolerate more foods. Will my baby be ok? 

Re: No appetite to eat healthy?

• So I'm 6 1/2 weeks pregnant and I found out when I was 4 1/2 weeks. Before I found out I was pregnant I was starting to eat healthy again and loved it. For the past week or so every time I see any healthy food, I get sick to my stomach and cannot bring myself to even smell it without gagging. All I can tolerate are chicken nuggets or pizza rolls. I take prenatal vitamins every day and drink a glass of milk every morning though. I don't know what's wrong with me and why I can't eat my healthy foods! I don't go over my recommended calories per day, but the food I eat has little nutritional value. My question is, will this hurt my baby if I eat this same way until I get my appetite back? I heard that babies get the nutrients they need from us no matter what and that they don't need as much nutritional support in the first trimester as they do in the others. I don't plan on eating this way forever, just until I can tolerate more foods. Will my baby be ok? 
    @mamaspraggie

I believe your baby will be fine. It's just your body adjusting to being pregnant (IMO). I am about the same as you in terms of how far a long I am and I am starting to be able to add some healthier options little by little. If you're still concerned, you can always call your doctor.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Your baby will be fine. Like you said, they are great a leaching nutrients from you (even from your bones!) if you're not getting everything you need from your diet. With both pregnancies I had a HUGE aversion to vegetables and meat during first tri, and the only thing I could stomach were carbs.

Eat what you can tolerate and be easy on yourself.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • edited November 2016
    I've only been able to eat carbs and dairy for much of the time, and my doctor said it was more important to be able to take and keep down the prenatal, than anything I might eat (especially if your stomach is dead set against something but you force it and it just comes back up anyway, there's no point and it does more harm than good).

Chances are you won't be on all pizza rolls all the time for your whole pregnancy.  Your tolerance/aversions can change on almost a weekly basis in my experience.  Eat what you can and baby will take anything he/she needs from you.
  • With my first I could hardly eat much of anything! He came out weighing a very healthy 9 pounds! My midwife said as long as the baby is making progress and growing it was fine. I didn't gain any weight for him either actually lost a couple of pounds. I'm now 10 weeks along and I'm feeling good the same yucky feeling just thinking about food gags me! I try to snack on cheese and raisins and eat more often. Maybe try eating less and more often. Good Luck!!
  • Your baby will be fine, and hopefully, this is just a first trimester phase. But let me just say, you're not alone!

I've had SO many ups and downs with food my first trimester. I'm hoping it's turning a corner and getting better.

I'd recommend seeing if you can get creative. Even if you don't eat "healthy" you can treat eating varied foods and pack in nutrients when possible. For example, I can't stand meat right now (why, I don't even know) so I have to smoosh protein in wherever possible. Birdeye makes grain and veggies steam packs with tons of protein. I love my morning cereal, so I get "protein" cereal. Maybe if you're only into chicken nuggets, just try to make they're GOOD chicken nuggets. For pizza rolls, what about whole wheat lean pockets or something?

I'd recommend just keep trying to push the envelope and try differing your foods as much as possible, even if they're all carbs of some variety. Also, make sure your prenatal is a good one and not lacking anything (i.e. did you know the gummy prenatals don't have iron?) Also, make sure you're drinking plenty of water. Don't underestimate the importance of hydration.

Good luck. You're only 6.5 weeks, so just keep trying, and hopefully around 13 or so things will be different. If not, just talk to your OB, but don't fret-- stress isn't going to be helpful. :)
  • I was in the same place and still am at 13 weeks. I have been struggling to get a 1000 calories in per day. My OB assured me that she wasn't worried about the baby because they do get whatever they need from the mother.
    The healthiest thing I have managed in the last 2 weeks is eating 2 eggs in the morning. So far I have lost about 7lbs and my OB is still not worried. She asked me to try eating anything I can and should not worry about nutrition per say at this point. The only thing she said is may be I could try ice cream because cold foods are easier to get down with all the throwing up and gagging & this was really so that I would have a little more energy to function go to work etc., & not be physically stressed as much. I have managed to keep smoothies down but takes me like 2 hours to finish the smoothie though.

I know it can be worrisome and make you feel bad but be assured babies do fine making sure they get the nutrients from mom.  Good luck & remember its more important that you don't stress yourself out than eat high nutrition foods in the first trimester.

DH :  36, has Chronic Kidney Disease, on dialysis & is waiting on the transplant list (average wait for B+ is 5 years)

Me:   36, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, BMI 32, need to be done with "child bearing" ASAP so that I can be a Kidney donor (was fun realizing we didn't as much time as we thought :-/ )

We're TTC#1

IUI #1 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + Ovidrel Trigger + Had the one follicle = BFN  (March 2014)

IUI #2 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + 150 iu Bravelle on CD9 (after much begging!) + Had the one follicle = BFN (April 2014)

7th May 2014 - changed REs, this one seems to care (we think....)

IUI #3 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 3 follicles (2 under 15mm) = BFN(May 2014)

IUI #4 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 1 follicle + DH gave best sample so far = BFN(June 2014)

IVF#1 -  ER Only Cycle Sept-Oct 2014, 17  eggs Retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized, 6 made it to Blast & post PGS  5 were not viable due to chromosomal abnormalities
    Not sure where we go from here...

We're parents to two very adorable, bratty, affectionate & goofy Bernese Mountain Dog pups who would very much like a 2 legged baby brother or sister of their own!

• I lived on bagels in my first trimester and crab rangoon with my first (I don't even know). I couldn't eat much of anything else. My daughter was just fine. Eat what you can manage. M/S and food aversions are no joke. 
  • With my first I didn't really have food aversions but all I wanted/craved was "bad for you" foods like burgers, pizza etc and healthier foods didn't interest me at all.  I forced myself to eat veggies (it wasn't a case of an aversion but I really didn't want them) and indulged in a ton of crap.  DS was born very healthy with no issues.  
  • Im 10 weeks tomorrow, and like you, I'm having trouble eating veg and protein. I eat mostly peanut butter sandwiches and soup and crackers. I asked my doctor, and she said just to eat what I can keep down. This is pretty common, and hopefully in a few weeks, we will all start to feel better
  • Completely common.  Eat what you can.  You will eventually get some healthy foods in but don't stress about it.  Right now I am all about grill cheese...thats it.  Same happened with my first.  By second trimester I was able to get fruits and veggies in.
  • I have the same problem but I am not gaining and weight instead loosing. They want me to start drinking boost. So I guess I am going to give it a go. But nothing looks good or smells good. All I want is pizza covered in pickles.