February 2017 Moms
Options

The official breastfeeding thread

I know we mentioned earlier in another thread that it would be nice to dedicate one to questions or breastfeeding in general. So here it is! :)
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: The official breastfeeding thread

• Options
    My first question: What pump are you going with? I have a few options through insurance, but I'm not sure which one yet. I rented a hospital grade pump with DD.
  • Options
    I got the Medela Pump In Style Starter Set

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't tell exactly what that is. Is it the pump without the carrying bag?
  • Options
    My insurance covers a few models so I'm deciding between the medela PISA and spectra 2. leaning toward the spectra based on recommendations from friends  
  • Options
    This is what I am getting too but my insurance won't let me order until I've given birth.

For those that have breastfed before -- did you need a pump in the 1st few days or will I be okay without?
  • Options

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    This is what I am getting too but my insurance won't let me order until I've given birth.

For those that have breastfed before -- did you need a pump in the 1st few days or will I be okay without?
    I didn't pump until she was about two weeks old. I think it just depends on your supply. I had really bad over supply and I didn't want to pump and have my body make more milk. 

• Options
    I'm getting the spectra 2. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

If you are successful with BFing, you really won't even need it until the baby is a few weeks old and you're leaving it for some reason. *Maybe* you'd pump if DH wants to give the baby a bottle, but sometimes that make things harder.

Unfortunately for me, DD would not latch in the hospital and she had jaundice. So bad that she got re-admitted to the hospital at 4 days old. So I was given a hospital grade pump and used it when she was 2 days old. I plan to bring my this time for this reason, but I think in most cases it's not necessary!
  • Options
    You only NEED to pump if you are working/ traveling/ missing feedings. 
    Or need to stimulate supply. 

I exculusively nursed, but still pumped because I had supply issues. Ellie had a super bad latch for 2 months. 

I have a Medela also and I will use it but my insurance covers a new pump so I'll get a new on too. Rumors are that my current insurance doesn't have a Medela, so I suppose I have to see what's offered. 

@gretchypoo that stinks!! I didn't pump early on with my first but I wish I had.  I wish the hospital would have told me how/what to do while I was there's like they did with my sister. 
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• Options
    @Spicyweiner I was wondering wtf people were talking about pumping in the hospital too but they all had babies that wouldn't latch. 

Asm.. I have the medela pisa and am seriously considering the spectra this round. The bags to carry them are as expensive as the pump. :|  
  • Options
    @Starfish113 what are your options through insurance? 
  • Options
    I will be using the same, the Medela pump in style offered through my insurance. 
  • Options
    @Starfish113 what are your options through insurance? 
    Medela PNSA starter set, Ameda Purely Yours Ultra, Tomy Quiet Expressions, Spectra S2, Lansinoh SmartPump, and Evenflo Feeding Double Electric
  • Options
    I got Spectra 1. I will need it when I go back to work. Insurance cover most of it, but had to pay a up charge. They did cover Spectra 2, but I wanted the battery option, just incase I am at a place with no plugs. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    SITB

@Spicyweiner that's what I thought, but some hospital packing lists encourage you to bring your pump so I was curious!

@PerraSucia  I'm in a birthing center, not a hospital and they send you home 3 hrs after you can pee. So I'll have to ask abt their post partum check ups and if breastfeeding is a part of that.
  • Options
    @gretchypoo yeah ask about meeting with a LC and stuff. They have to have something figured out there 
  • Options
    @Starfish113 out of those I would go with a Spectra. How much do you plan on pumping? I know Medela's are popular because most people are familiar with them and the parts are easy to get but when I hated my Medela and I know the Spectra's are good.
  • Options
    FishyMom said:
    You only NEED to pump if you are working/ traveling/ missing feedings. 
    Or need to stimulate supply. 

I exculusively nursed, but still pumped because I had supply issues. Ellie had a super bad latch for 2 months. 

I have a Medela also and I will use it but my insurance covers a new pump so I'll get a new on too. Rumors are that my current insurance doesn't have a Medela, so I suppose I have to see what's offered. 

@gretchypoo that stinks!! I didn't pump early on with my first but I wish I had.  I wish the hospital would have told me how/what to do while I was there's like they did with my sister. 
    Yes, supply too. 
  • Options
    3 years ago, I had a medela pump n style and a Hygea Enjoye (which uses medela parts) I liked both and slightly preferred the Hygea. kept one and work and one at home. 

we also had supply/latch problems so I did need to pump right away. 

I say that BF was the hardest thing I have ever done and I still think so. BF and worked FT/pumped and DS was EBF till 13 months. lots of issues and hard, hard work. happy to share tips with those with questions. 

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Options
    @Starfish113 out of those I would go with a Spectra. How much do you plan on pumping? I know Medela's are popular because most people are familiar with them and the parts are easy to get but when I hated my Medela and I know the Spectra's are good.
    I EP'd with DD. So there's a good chance I will have to again but I'm HOPING this baby latches better!! Thanks for the rec :)
  • Options
    I got the spectra 2 through my insurance; I've obviously not used it yet, but I plugged it in and it seems fine. The screen and buttons were very easy to figure out and it's fairly quiet.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    Question for STMs.  One of my girlfriends suggested starting to use the pump a week or two before my due date for a couple of reasons - to get the nipples used to the sensation, and to help your milk come in faster once you have the baby.  Is this a thing that anyone did or would think is useful?  Or is this just silly?   
  • Options
    I EP'd with DD. So there's a good chance I will have to again but I'm HOPING this baby latches better!! Thanks for the rec :)
    I  (mostly) EP'd for close to 18 months with my second and ended up with an Avent double electric I loved because my insurance didn't cover a pump. The Hygeia and Spectra's were highly recommended in the EP groups I was in. I'm hoping to get one this time around for while I'm at work.
  • Options
    The only reason I've heard of to try to pump before giving birth is to try to cause yourself to go into labor.

With DD, I used a PJ's comfort by Limerick and didn't know that it wasn't working very well for me until I had DS and used the PISA.  The comfort level and output difference were huge!

With this baby I'm between the PISA and the Hygeia Enjoye.  I had good results with the PISA so I'm hesitant to switch it up, but I really like the closed system of the Enjoye.  @cinderin What did you prefer about the Hygeia over the PISA?

• Options
    @PerraSucia and @Spicyweiner - thanks ladies I thought that might be the case! 
  • Options
    @homemake a few people have told me to toughen my nipples so I thought it was a thing to do.  Although I shouldn't be surprised since my mom told me and she hasn't had a baby in 32 years so...

Does it not work?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Question for STMs.  One of my girlfriends suggested starting to use the pump a week or two before my due date for a couple of reasons - to get the nipples used to the sensation, and to help your milk come in faster once you have the baby.  Is this a thing that anyone did or would think is useful?  Or is this just silly?   
    I've never heard of this but I have heard that it can induce labor so it's advised not to do so.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    I've never heard of this but I have heard that it can induce labor so it's advised not to do so.
    Good to know though if we are past are due date and trying not to get chemically induced :)

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    Has anyone used the Ameda Purely Yours Ultra? My insurance covers it and it seems to come with way more stuff than the Medela PISA or Spectra. It has a battery pack where I'd have to upgrade for $85 with the Medela or Spectra.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    birdiejobirdiejo member
    edited November 2016
    @homemake a few people have told me to toughen my nipples so I thought it was a thing to do.  Although I shouldn't be surprised since my mom told me and she hasn't had a baby in 32 years so...

Does it not work?
    I only heard it from people like my mom also when I was pregnant with my daughter. It is no longer recommended. You're just going to hurt yourself which could end up making bfing harder. I wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    homemake said:

Does it not work?
    I only heard it from people like my mom also when I was pregnant with my daughter. It is no longer recommended. You're just going to hurt yourself which could end up making bfing harder. I wouldn't do it.
    Thanks, I've heard from people my moms age so good to know it's not recommended.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    cinderin said:
    3 years ago, I had a medela pump n style and a Hygea Enjoye (which uses medela parts) I liked both and slightly preferred the Hygea. kept one and work and one at home. 

we also had supply/latch problems so I did need to pump right away. 

I say that BF was the hardest thing I have ever done and I still think so. BF and worked FT/pumped and DS was EBF till 13 months. lots of issues and hard, hard work. happy to share tips with those with questions. 
    Will definitely come back and ask you stuff when we're closer to the EDD. I had supply issues with DD (only got to 3 months) and really, really want to go longer with LO. Also, I stayed home for the first year with DD and only will be doing 12 weeks this time around so pumping will be unavoidable.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019