20% 11 votes
Depends on how much I don't want to deal with their assholery
32% 18 votes
TV is the devil for toddlers
3% 2 votes

Re: How much tv does your toddler watch

• poofwokpoofwok member
    edited November 2016
    During the week, it's 1-2 hours but definitely 2+ hours on the weekends. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • He watches like 30 minutes in the morning and 1-2s at night depending on how shitty of a mood I'm in 
  • Loading the player...
  • I voted 1-2hrs but I also want a second vote for the depending on the assholery. Typically we only do TV in the morning so it really depends on what time he wakes up, because there's no parenting before 7am. There's just throwing food and Mickey Mouse clubhouse at the problem. 
  • He doesn't really sit and watch it.  His attention span is still too toddler-y, but it's on a couple hours a day. 
  • I voted for it depends on how much I don't want to deal because it varies a lot and many days it does depend on how much I need time to get something done. Anywhere from 0 minutes to 2 hours is what it would be on average. (Including tv and computer time)

• During the week, it's 1-2 hours but definitely 2+ hours on the weekends. 
    +1 to exactly this! 
    ******************** BFP Warning *******************

I'm 29 and DH is 32 we have a MFI (low count) 
    IVF #1 starting in August. ER 9/5/13 23 eggs we are fertilizing 15. 9 frozen
    ET 9/10 - transferred 1 perfect 5AA blast
    7dp5dt BFP ~~ Beta on 9/19 - 77.4 Beta #2 on 9/21 - 357
    Low heartbeat on 10/7 86, lower heartbeat on 10/11 76, no heartbeat 10/14/13. D&C 10/15/13
    Tests revealed MTHFR c677t mutation, put on Folgard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #1 1/6/14 - 4BB blast - BFN
    FET #2 - 3/3/14 - 5AB Blast -- Beta #1 3/12 - 152 -- Beta #2 3/14 - 358
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FET #3 06/09/16 - 5AB Blast - Beta #1 6/18- 245 -- Beta #2 06/20 - 600
     PAIF/SAIF/PAL/SAL welcome!

• I'm voting "tv is the devil for toddlers" (but not because I'm judgy of those that allow it)! For my 3 year old, the more I allow watching shows, the more he's a whiny brat and his behavior is awful for the rest of the day! :(
    Don't get me wrong, he is the love of my life and the sweetest boy! But let him watch an hour (or 2 or 3 or 4hrs etc) of some cartoon and he has a meltdown about turning it off.
    We don't have tv service and just use the iPad. Darn it, we keep "losing" the iPad and during those times we just can't find it, he's a happier kid.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @FreshBakedBrownies whilst im a ftm, i was talking to my sister about this at the weekend with regard to my nephew who is 2.5.
    He likes to watch tractor videos on youtube on a tablet & is currently on a tablet ban as he was demanding it when he woke up in the morning & continuously throughtout the day. 
  • DD used to get one Daniel Tiger show in the morning when I would do her hair (braid it to keep it out of her face during mealtimes at DC) and then 20 minutes' worth at night before bedtime.
    Now that she's sporting a chin length bob, no more morning shows.

Weekends are another matter. If she's up bright and early at 6,  I have no shame in having her get the iPad and snuggle in next to me to watch for an hour. Or two. I do have to agree with @FreshBakedBrownies - even though I remind her 10, 5 and 2 minutes before her time is up, she is invariably in a foul and more tantrum-prone mood after screen time. But dozing for another hour+ is definitely worth it...
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• The time has definitely increased as the cold weather comes in and we no longer get to go outside in the evenings lol. 
  • My youngest is 5 so I guess not really a toddler but with both of them it really just depended on what we had going on. Sometimes they would watch 2+ hours because instead of a nap they'd watch a movie on my bed and watch TV later. Sometimes they would watch no TV at all. When I SAH I would sometimes have the TV on in the background while we did other things and they'd catch parts of it here and there. I didn't really feel the need to limit/monitor is because they both spend a lot of time outside and the majority of the time they are "watching" TV they're also doing something else. If they seemed too zombified for a long time I would turn it off unless that was my goal for the moment lol. Tablets are God's gift to parents IMO. 
  • She normally watches it in the morning while I make breakfast and then at night after dinner. She was getting attached to the tablet and throwing fits if she couldn't watch it while we eat so I started cutting back on screen time. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @NiceyMeany you can just click the button at the bottom that says view results next to the vote button.
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• @marriedhamstermom wuttttttt I can't see a button.  But my work computer blocks random stupid things sometimes.  Which I guess is what I get for bumping at work.
  • I wish this poll had an "I don't have a toddler but I'm nosey" option so that I could see the results.
    I tried to edit it but I can't haha 
  • Here you go @NiceyMeany

Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @grapeskittles4lyfe "foul and more tantrum prone after screen time" is a perfect description for how my son reacts. And that's not like him at all!

So for me, it's not worth it. Rarely we have family movie night. In the morning he plays little Legos or draws pictures while I get ready.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My kid watches one episode of something, usually Super Why. 
    Depending on what we are doing that day she might get one or two more episodes or a Disney movie. 
  • Maybe this is flame worthy but I don't really limit my 3 year olds screen time. Some days she watches more, some days she watches less, some days she just gets bored with it so I shut it off. That being said, I voted for "depends on how much I don't want to deal with their assholery". 
  • I started with no tv. Then I allowed an episode of Sesame Street. Then it became a free for all. Now we've cut back a lot but some days we'll watch nothing and other days if I have cleaning to do I'll let her watch til I'm done. It's hard to find a good balance sometimes, especially if you have nothing going on during the day. I'm guessing when the baby arrives there will be plenty of tv watching going on. 
  • Maybe this is flame worthy but I don't really limit my 3 year olds screen time. Some days she watches more, some days she watches less, some days she just gets bored with it so I shut it off. That being said, I voted for "depends on how much I don't want to deal with their assholery". 
    Same goes for me. He generally doesn't argue with me or H when we decide to shut it off and he sometimes doesn't care for it and would rather play with his toys so for now, TV isn't a big deal in our household. 
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • We are currently in a Peppa Pig induced meltdowns stage. It's tough because DH and I both work intense corporate jobs and the only way we can get ready in the morning is if she watched the iPad and eats her breakfast. We blame ourselves, but feel some relief that she watches no TV all day since she's at daycare!
  • Oh man, I can't stand Peppa Pig. She whines and acts like such a brat. Nope. 
    I also cannot do MMCH in the mornings because Mickeys voice makes me want to drive the toast knife through my ears. 
    Thank Netflix gods for Super Why. 
  • Netflix is the best, there's this show on there my son loves called puffin rock, every other show he can take or leave and gets bored and walks off, but this show is the one I go to if I need to keep him occupied while I'm on a conference call or something! He will watch it all day if I let him! 
  • Cailou has been banned by H. I was willing to deal with the annoying whiny bs because both kids were entranced by him, but H shut it down quick claiming Cailou was the one making the kids even more whiny HAHA 
  • My kid has never, ever seen Caillou 
  • Neither has mine!
  • Neither has mine!
    Me three. Other parents' reactions scared me off.
    The original: Aug2013
    The remix: Feb2017
    The encore: coming Oct2019

• LilyASF42LilyASF42 member
    edited November 2016

I voted "Depends on how much I don't want to deal with their assholery" because A) .....it's true ;-)  and B ) I don't really have a set number I could give.  The TV is almost always on when we are home on some kid's show but it's really more of a background thing.  He's way too active and doesn't have the attention span to really sit there and watch something.  Maybe in the morning while we are getting ready or if I plop him down for lunch or a snack in the living room he'll sit and watch while he eats, but even then it's a short time.  He certainly demands some shows at times but he won't exactly sit there and watch it like a zombie.  Much like with any other play he does, he needs a lot of interaction (mostly from me), so he's definitely not zoning out in front of it.

P.S. Calliou is the devil :-p 

P.P.S. Lazy Town and it's creepy puppets should be banned from life :-p

• We did almost no screen time until 1 year (grandmas would watch video clips with her and occasionally out to dinner). 

Fast forward to 2 she has a kindle fire tablet with the PBS app. She loves the shows on it and watches about an hour a day. Weekends are a bit more especially while pregnant.
  • edited November 2016
    We are getting a few dvds as well for Christmas for her (we don't have TV). I need all the resources I can get for post baby!

edited to add by tv I mean cable we use Netflix and such

team #dependsonasshollery