Trouble TTC

Low Sex Drive

Ever since I went off depo in 2014, I have had a pretty low sex drive. It doesn't seem to be getting any better. It's affecting my marriage and I'm feeling pretty bad about it. I've tried those "Female Sex Drive" supplements that you can find on Amazon, but they don't seem to help... probably just garbage anyway. I have to wonder if it's at all related to my infertility... like maybe some sort of hormone imbalance that's throwing everything off. I want to ask my RE next time I go, but I have to wait until my new insurance kicks in. Has anyone else experienced this? 

Re: Low Sex Drive

• (Sorry, just realized I had a different account here... this is the artist formerly known as avocuddle. A while back, when I was planning my wedding, I had a Knot account. When I introduced myself a few weeks ago, I accidentally signed into that account. Today I realized I had previously made a separate account just to use here, voila, carrotcupcakes. I don't mean to sound sketchy and I promise I'm real!!)
  • No experience with it but I am glad you're planning on asking your RE about it. I know you're waiting until your new insurance kicks is but it may be worth it to ask your general health doctor about it too. 
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • @SaphireSweetie88 Thanks for the advice! I will be sure to bring it up with my PCP. 

• I experienced low sex drive as a result of hormonal imbalance. As soon as I got my thyroid medication and started ovulating regularly, I noticed a huge difference. Definitely bring it up to your RE.

I would also recommend taking a look at your "romantic life" - are you stuck in a "babymaking sex" routine? For me, the pressure of it all was subconsciously affecting me. I had to do some work around that, mentally. 

Married 4 years, TTC 3 years
    Dx: Unexplained infertility, hypothyroidism/Hashimoto's, MTHFR Mutation
    DH - low motility
    Rx: Levothyroxine, misc supplements

• My sex drive took a hit but not from any hormonal imbalance - truthfully, I think all the trying and failing made me depressed - that kind of low-grade depression where instead of having sex, I'd choose an evening of wine or brownies... which just made things worse, because then my pants didn't fit.

I feel better now - the best thing for me was time, and being really patient with myself. There was some adjusting for DH, but I was really honest with him about how sad I was, and how hard I was taking it.

That said, it very well could be the hormones. I went off BC about a year before we started trying, and when I was on BC I was totally different about sex.

• I was also on the depot shot. After being taken off, I did not experience a low sex drive. I started having trouble with my sex drive probably around the 6 month mark of trying.  The stress of timed sex and peeing on a stick, and the depressed feeling every month of not being pregnant seems to be the biggest factor in my low sec drive.  I find taking breaks from trying help for a little while.  Usually when we take a month off of trying my sex drive amps right back up. 
    Me:33, DH:38 Married: 8/2/2014
    TTC #1 Since: April 2015
    Unexplained Infertility

Cycle 1&2 : Clomid 50mg- BFN
    Cycle 3: Letrozole 2.5mg- BFN
    Cycle 4: Letrozole 5mg- BFN
    Cycle 5: HSG-normal
                  Clomid 100mg+ Estrace- BFN
    Cycle 6: Letrozole 5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progestrone- BFN
    Cycle 7: Letrozole 5mg, Cyst found during follicle check
    Cycle 8: Birth control to treat left ovary cyst
    Cycle 9: Letrozole 7.5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 10: Letrozole 7.5mg, 2 Cysts found during follicle check
    Cycle 11: Clomid 100mg+Estradiol+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg- BFN
    Cycle 13-16: Natural attempts while awaiting IVF 
    Cycle 14: IVF-BFN

• funkykeyfunkykey member
    edited November 2016
    ps. I definitely don't think those supplements on Amazon do anything. You're probably better off ordering one of those Kama Sutra novelty items, like a deck of cards:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kama-Sutra-Playing-Cards-Suitable/dp/B000AMJXKQ
    Best part about this is the "not suitable for children" label. Hahaha. Score!
  • There is also a Kama Sutra app you can put on your smart phone.
    Me:33, DH:38 Married: 8/2/2014
    TTC #1 Since: April 2015
    Unexplained Infertility

Cycle 1&2 : Clomid 50mg- BFN
    Cycle 3: Letrozole 2.5mg- BFN
    Cycle 4: Letrozole 5mg- BFN
    Cycle 5: HSG-normal
                  Clomid 100mg+ Estrace- BFN
    Cycle 6: Letrozole 5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progestrone- BFN
    Cycle 7: Letrozole 5mg, Cyst found during follicle check
    Cycle 8: Birth control to treat left ovary cyst
    Cycle 9: Letrozole 7.5mg+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 10: Letrozole 7.5mg, 2 Cysts found during follicle check
    Cycle 11: Clomid 100mg+Estradiol+Trigger shot+IUI+Progesterone- BFN
    Cycle 12: Clomid 100mg- BFN
    Cycle 13-16: Natural attempts while awaiting IVF 
    Cycle 14: IVF-BFN

• funkykey said:
    My sex drive took a hit but not from any hormonal imbalance - truthfully, I think all the trying and failing made me depressed - that kind of low-grade depression where instead of having sex, I'd choose an evening of wine or brownies... which just made things worse, because then my pants didn't fit.

I feel better now - the best thing for me was time, and being really patient with myself. There was some adjusting for DH, but I was really honest with him about how sad I was, and how hard I was taking it.

That said, it very well could be the hormones. I went off BC about a year before we started trying, and when I was on BC I was totally different about sex.

Bolded. This is me in a nutshell! lol

• funkykey said:
    ps. I definitely don't think those supplements on Amazon do anything. You're probably better off ordering one of those Kama Sutra novelty items, like a deck of cards:
    https://www.amazon.com/Kama-Sutra-Playing-Cards-Suitable/dp/B000AMJXKQ
    Best part about this is the "not suitable for children" label. Hahaha. Score!
    Ohhhh my goodness, I think my favorite part is the item description, and I quote: "Perfect gift or present for your Auntie Uncle Niece Nephew Brother Sister Boyfriend Girlfriend Husband Wife." Sounds like some strange family relations going on here!!!

All jokes aside... thanks for your input (and laughs!) everyone! :) I definitely think it's possible that my moods are affecting my sex drive, as well as a possible hormonal issue. 
  • Most people go through dips, and you seem cool with talking about it and trying out of the box fixes like supplements. Would you consider ordering a couple erotics literature stories? I find those have helped me when TTC in times when my drive wasn't there; usually because of infertility issues so go figure lol. Anne Rice has a few written under a pseudonym A.N. Roquelaure ;).
    Me 35, Him 40
    TTC June 2013
    Lap, HSG, Hysteroscopy
    High FSH/ Low AMH
    Endo Mild/ Moderate
    History w/Clomid/Femera/Progesterone
    IVF #1 cancelled poor responder
    IVF #2 two good eggs/ froze both on day 3 rather then lose before blast
    Awaiting sonohystogram to determine if minor surgery needed before FET