Pregnant after IF

PaIF Multiples Mamas November Check In

Hey there mamas of multiples! I thought we could do a monthly discussion with each other with concerns/questions that are unique to us! If anyone thinks we should do weekly, that's great too, and someone can start them every Monday morning.

Introduce yourself with how many babes you're cooking and what your expected delivery date and gestation is!

Any questions about being pregnant with more than one babe?

Anything else you'd like to discuss, like baby gear?
About us:
Me - 28, Lean PCOS
DH - 31
Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

Re: PaIF Multiples Mamas November Check In

• I'll go ahead and post first!

I'm cooking three littles, 2 girls and 1 boy! We're currently aiming for 34 weeks gestation, which will be March 10th (technically March 11th, but that's a Saturday).

I know over in the first tri board @kelrauh brought up her OB pushing for an answer about scheduling a c-section, which I find crazy! My MFM hasn't even brought up delivery yet, and I'm 18 weeks today. I plan to ask him on Monday when I see him if I can attempt vaginal with both the girls having a cord problem, or if I'm an auto c-section because of that.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• kelrauhkelrauh member
    edited November 2016
    @AandDM2014- thank you for starting this board. I feel like through the last couple months I have asked you many questions and this will help us all be connected even if we are in different trimesters. 

I am 12 weeks today with twins. We are due may 28th but expecting to have them at latest 38 weeks. We don't know yet what we are having but will find out on December 30th! 

I am glad that I brought up the c-section because with multiple moms I feel like we don't know what is normal. I am not opposed to a c-section but I know that its a large surgery which comes with risks and recovery. I go back to my ob the first week of December and she would like to me to have an idea of if I want vaginal vs. C-section. She asked that I bring questions. any suggestions on questions to ask? 

**Trigger warning**

Age: 25 DH: 28 Together since 2011, Married May 2014 and TTC since April 2015

MFI (3% morphology) 

3/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

4/16 - IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

6/16 IUI with femara & ovidrel - BFN

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/16 - BFP 1st Beta -110 
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762
    • TWINS!!!! EDD 5/28/2017

• Loading the player...
  • @kelrauh I'm assuming your OB has not recommended you do the blood tests that many other ladies get to do to find out the sexes and some chromosome problems? I was told flat out that I couldn't do them as they don't work for more than twins. I'm excited to hear what you're having! Do you have a preference? I know we're only supposed to want "healthy", but let's be real, we all have something we're hoping for. I agree that a lot of the times it seems like multiple moms are just told that we have to have a c-section, which is totally not true! A lot of twins can be born vaginally if their positions are right! I'd ask her why she needs an answer so soon when the babies still have MONTHS before they're in their final positions. Plus, twins are born smaller, which should make it easier to deliver vaginally!

I was just looking at a new book I got "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets, or Quads" by Dr. Barbara Luke and Tamara Eberlein, and there is a section on giving birth. For twins is says "About 28 percent of twin pregnancies end in a vaginal delivery, and the other 72 percent are delivered by cesarian. Occasionally the first twin is born vaginally, but then complications arise... that necessitate delivering the second twin surgically. The crucial factor in determining the method of delivery for twins is the babies' position in the uterus, particularly that of the infant closes to the cervix... In most cases, if the first twin is born vaginally, the second twin then moved down into position by the cervix and is also able to be born vaginally. When the second twin is breech or transverse, the OB may try to maneuver this baby into a more favorable position by pressing her hands against the mother's abdomen."

So it can definitely be done if there are no other medical factors against vaginaly birth.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @AandDM2014 - thanks for that I may need to get that book. My ob gave me information about genetic testing but did not ask about it. We have opted not to do any genetic testing because it won't matter if we know now or when they are born and they aren't 100%. We don't have a preference per say but a boy and a girl would be great. We only have one frozen embryo so if we have a boy and a girl and the other one doesn't take it will elimate the urge to have the other gender.  I am just excited to have 2 little ones in our life.

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• @kelrauh I just started reading it this morning, and it seems like an excellent pregnancy book. We too decided against all testing, other than routine blood tests, urine tests and regular ultrasounds. The risk of miscarriage with both CVS and amnio was something we weren't prepared to deal with, and luckily my MFM didn't push us to do them. I think finding a great care provider is very important when carrying more than one. We didn't have a choice, as there is only 1 MFM at our hospital (I guess we could have gone to a farther away hospital, but I didn't want to do that), but luckily we like him a lot!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• I have two little girls cooking and the doctor will not let me go past 38 weeks which is 12/29 so maybe a Christmas baby 
  • @ultratomato ooh, how fun would that be... except, you know, having two babies born on Christmas Day... but other than that!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• That would be a pretty big Christmas!!! 

Im currently pregnant with twins, I barely consider myself pregnant thought lol I am only 5 weeks 6days, so I still have a lot of hurdles to get through. I am hoping to hear heartbeats on Wednesday (6 weeks). I was so excited when I found out there was two sacs, then the reality hit that there will be TWO babies! But we are still over the moon about it. I have secretly always wanted twins so Im excited that it may be coming true! I am joining to I can learn everything now from those of you who are further along!
    Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• Great idea on this board! 

Also having twins here, nearing week 10. EDD 06/14/17. Fingers crossed we make it as close to 40 weeks as possible. Don't know the genders yet. We didn't do any genetic testing which truthfully I now regret. I didn't realize the blood test to find out the gender doesn't work for twins. Oh well. I think we can do 3D scan at a private facility around 14 wks. Has anyone done this before? Our hospital doesn't do them until week 17-20. 

I'm pushing a vaginal birth but of course if health dictates it I'll do a c-section. That being said, the NP was flat out "no" about a vaginal birth. Something I'll discuss with my OB. 
  • @JaneJane they don't let twins go past 38 weeks at my OB office and I think that most twins come between 35-37 weeks according to the nurse at the hospital. I only have like a 33% chance mine are identical but I don't think they are I just think both eggs took through on ivf. It's great having these twins but I feel like at almost 32 weeks they are running out of room lol. I go to the hospital weekly for NST and OB every other week. And I only have two high risk appointments left my 32 week and my 36 week. The best part of the NST is that they do an ultrasound beforhand and you get to see the babies. 
  • My ob also said they will not let twins go past 38 weeks. She said that she would schedule my c-section for 38 weeks. @ultratomato- you don't have too much longer! 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• Welcome @Colleen0516! You must have been so shocked/excited when you saw two sacs on the screen! I can't wait to hear news on Wednesday about how your appointment goes!!

@JaneJane I too think they don't generally allow twins to go to 40 weeks, but 38 is still a respectable length! I haven't done any private scans, other than the ones at my RE, but my MFM was able to tell us the sexes at just after 15 weeks with a regular ultrasound. I'd definitely discuss with your OB about vaginal. I don't know if you read the earlier post I made, but twins are definitely able to be born via vaginal.

@ultratomato How strange that they think they're identical but you think they aren't... I thought it was kinda easy to tell.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks having a separate thread is a good idea!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @AandDM2014 I don't think the dr thinks there identical just that there is a 33% chance that they could be. I have been told that vaginal delivery is not an option even if both babies are facing down  which mine are. Dr says one can go breach once the first one is taken out best case senario would be to go into labor befor c section date.  I just want what's safest for the babies 
  • @ultratomato Oh, how curious! Definitely whatever is best for the babies is what should be done!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• Lurking from TTGP***
    @kelrauh I was really hoping for a vaginal delivery with my twins and my MFM doc was game (though as a note they typically want them delivered in an OR in case their are complications or you end up with a double whammy- vaginal and C-section).  As long as both babies were head down we were planning for an induction at 38 weeks. Baby A was in a good position early on and stayed that way, B was breech for most of my pregnancy but flipped at 36 weeks and then flipped back at 37 weeks. We had a lot of discussion about doing a version (spinning baby B once A was born). If I really pushed he might have tried but said the procedure was more risky because this was my first full term pregnancy. If I had already had a previous birth my uterus would have had more room to do the procedure safely. The other problem was at the time baby B was measuring larger making the chance of a successful version less likely. We opted for a C-section at 37+2 because the babies were so large he was concerned about letting me go any longer. For us it ended up being a good thing because Baby be ended up being transverse and there would have been no way to do a version. As a note if you go to "term" with twins they may not be significantly smaller than singletons.
       So sorry for the long story but things to ask... if willing to do a vaginal delivery will it be in an OR suit? Will your MFM/OB be doing the delivery or is it the OB on call? If its an OB on call are they comfortable with a vaginal twin delivery? if up for a vaginal delivery is it only if both are head down? Are they (and you) willing to consider a version to spin the breech baby? what are your particular risk factors with a version? Will they only do a version if the babies are certain forms of breech?
        If you end up with a c-section I would strongly recommend trying to have help at home during those first few weeks of recovery, its possible to do it by yourself (I had to) but having help lifting and carrying would be ideal.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• I asked my MFM about vaginal delivery for multiples at my appointment today, and he said that many OBs don't do vaginal simply because they don't have experience with it! He also said it was highly unlikely I'd be able to do vaginal as almost none have ever done anything other than a c-section for triples. He also mentioned something about a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, only it's a doctor pulling a baby out of a uterus... Yeah, pretty sure I'm going to end up with the c-section.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @wabash15 - thank you for the input. The more i read up on it the more I'm sure I'll probably end up with a c-section. Whatever is bast for the babies. 

@AandDM2014 you're right about OBs and vaginal. I did find one doctor sort of in my area that specializes in vaginal births for multiples but he's definitely not covered by my insurance. 

• Thank you ladies for sharing your stories and asking around. I have also talked to some moms of multiples and it sounds like a c-section is the safest route for the babies. I am also a twin, I was born vaginally but my twin brother came out breach. My husbands co-worker had hers vaginally and there were many complications because baby B wanted to come at the same time as baby A. They had to hold B back through her stomach. Mom and baby both had bad bruises from this and mom had 27 stiches. She said without a doubt get a c-section. She said she wishes she never did vaginally because it wasn't safe for her or the babies in the end. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• I do have to say this is a helpful post because I don't know many twin moms.  But I'm not changing my mind it's going to be a csection 
  • @ultratomato - I think that I am going to choose the c-section. If I am meant to have them vaginally and I go into labor and don't have a choice then so be it. After research, talking to my DH and everyone's advice I think that a C-section is the best choice for me. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• I have one friend who is a super crunchy mama and before she knew about the triplets kept sending me all these articles and stuff about giving birth vaginally and how c-sections are terrible and don't get one... Yeah, not much choice for some of us! She even sent me stuff about how pretty much all twins can be delivered vaginally, no matter what your doctor says. I'm gonna just go ahead and trust the person who is actually delivering my babies, not some hippie woman online who thinks medical intervention is never necessary.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• I don't understand how people can push things without you asking their opinion. Out of everyone I have asked only one person pushed too hard on the vaginal delivery. But that is also my sister-in-law who is not happy that I am going to go back to work after having the babies. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• Hi ladies. I had my first physical therapy appointment for my hips. I am so glad my ob suggested it. I know @AandDM2014 was having hip pain too. The pt said that as everything loosened my muscles shut down. I literally couldn't life my left leg. I already feel better than I have in two weeks. She gave me exercises and I go in twice a week for 6 weeks and she said she hopes they will be strong enough for the remainder of my pregnancy. She's also making sure I strengthen my back too prior to getting bigger. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• @kelrauh I'm glad you've found some relief! If I get any more I'll definitely mention it to my MFM and see if he'll give me a referral.

I think now my biggest problem is that it's getting hard to reach my feet... I'm super close to having DH put my socks and shoes on for me. I think soonish after that he'll be putting my undies and pants on too! I don't think DH knew he signed up as lady's maid when we agreed to go forward with triplets!! For you ladies who are farther along: how do you shave your legs? Or do you just not? I've always sat down in our shower to do it (with our previous bathtub/shower I could put a leg up on the side), but now I'm having trouble getting up and down to do it. I'm thinking I may have to invest in one of those handicapped shower seats, especially since I'll most likely be having a c-section and I think it's easier to shower while sitting after those.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @aanddm2014 I'm with you on the socks! For the shaving my shower isn't a tub also so it's smaller so I can lean against one wall and put my leg up on the other to shave it. thats getting harder so I've been working on getting DH on board with shaving my legs for me haha. 
  • @ale9687 I wish I could lean against a wall to try and do it, but our shower is massive (like 3'x8') so I don't think that would work. And I seriously doubt I could ever convince DH to shave them for me, lol!
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• I hadn't even thought that far ahead (only 10 weeks) but omg how will I shave?! I hate stubble so I shave every other day.  :s  Husband helping is a no-go LOL
  • @JaneJane I hadn't thought about it either until about a week ago when I had trouble reaching my feet to put my socks on. I really think I'm going to have to get a shower chair. I guess I could try using our upstairs bathtub and sit on the edge to shave...
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @AandDM2014 and other ladies being 32 weeks I have given up shaving my legs and vagina ugh. I find it easier since I have a stool to put my leg on makes it easier. One good thing is winter is coming lol. I have trouble with shoes and socks so I suggest slip ons
  • I need some advice... 
    My husband and I just left the doctor. We heard both of the babies heartbeats. One was 129 and the other was 109; I am 6weeks 5 days pregnant. The normal range is 90-110 (from what I research). SO I think they are both okay. My doctor said that the babies look perfect and are both growing nicely. 
    After the sonogram she talks to us for a few minutes. We discuss OB's and NICUs last appt, so we followed up on that this appointment. But then she said, "You still have a 10-15% chance of losing on of the babies, so dont go telling everyone that you're having twins. Tell family and close friends but just not everyone" My husband seemed to think it was routine, but of course I am a nervous wreck! I obviously know I still have a chance of losing one or both of them, but I think it was just the context she said it in that made me nervous. My husband said im looking into it too much (he is probably right!) She also said she wants to see the genetic testing and make sure we dont have to reduce one (  i would never reduce one anyway! its not an option for us) but hearing her say that made me me think well maybe she is just laying out our potential outcomes. 

What were your heart rates early on? and were you warned of a lose?? 

Me 30 || DH 36
    Unexplained Infertility- Postive for MTHFR Gene Mutation

Natural cycles with 1 miscarriage
    -3 IUI's w/ Clomid= BFN 
    -IVF #1-Follistim and Menopur= BFN
    ***11 Eggs, 10 mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 1 (day 5) 2 made it to freeze
    -FET #1- Transferred 2, day 5 embryos =BFN
    -IVF #2- Follistim and Menopur = BFN
    ***11 retrieved, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, transferred 2 (day 3), 4 made it to freeze (Follistim and Menopur) = BFN
    -FET #2- Transferred 2, day 3 embryos = BFN
    **Changed doctor**
    -IUI #4- natural cycle = BFN
    -IUI #5- Follistim (5 eggs) BFP- lead to Miscarriage  :'(
    -Laproscopic Surgery for Endometriosis, Polyp removal and Cyst removal. 
    -IVF #3- Menopur, Follistim, Lupron, Ganirellex- BFP lead to Eptopic Pregnancy  :'(
    ***11 Eggs retrieved, 10 Mature, 8 fertilized, transferred 3 embryos (day 3), 0 made it to freeze
    -Lapropscopic surgery- Removal of Fallopian Tube
    -IVF #4- Estrogen Priming with Vivelle dot, Menopur, Follistim, Ganirellex- BFP  :)
    ***15 Eggs retreived, 11 mature, 11 fertilized, 2 embryos transferred (day 3), 2 made it to freeze
    Found out I was positive for MTHFR Gene Mutation during TWW of IVF #4

• janejane-2janejane-2 member
    edited November 2016
    @Colleen0516  At 6 weeks about 3 or 4 days I had my first U/S. One twin's rate was 116 and the other 126. Our doctor said it was normal and babies heart rates are much higher than adults early on. She said she was looking for any number over 100. She said that the odds of miscarriage after hearing a heart beat go down dramatically. I'm nearing 11 weeks now. She did a second U/S two weeks later to just to confirm everything was fine (it was) and I graduated to my OB. Hopefully this helps. The whole IF journey just puts so many doubts into our heads. Our RE said nothing about reduction or to keep the news to ourselves. I can see yours just being cautiously optimistic which I would appreciate but definitely a cold dose of water. Think positive thoughts :) 
  • @colleen0516 - My RE told us the same thing around that time. She told me to not tell anyone until 9 weeks because that is when the chance of miscarriage goes down to 5%. I was also a nervous wreck about this and my hubby wasn't.  As long as their heart rates are above 100 you are good. 

**Trigger warning**

MFI (3% morphology) 

8/19/16 - IVF - 

• Retrieval 9/4
    • Transfer 9/6
    • 9/20 - 2nd beta - 762

• @ultratomato I had a feeling that is what someone was going to say. I am thinking maybe the bathtub will work once I get to that point, though it would really just be for me, and I guess I won't have to look at it all that closely soon!

@Colleen0516 I'm sorry that you're going through this, but yes, to me it seems pretty standard to warn of the loss of one or both in a multiples situation. I am a slightly different case because of the triplets though, so I can't say for sure what happens with twins. When I saw my MFM for the first time at 11+2 he warned us that we had about a 13% chance of losing all three of them at some point before viability, and if we reduced to two, it went down to like a 7% chance. So yes, there is some concern about that, which is also why we chose to keep the triplets a secret until I was 17 weeks, just in case the worst happened. I don't remember the heart rates, but those sound about right. I worry about my babes every day, but I have also finally learned to celebrate them every day.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31

• @Colleen0516 I think the heartbeats were around 140-150 range can't remember though. I wouldn't stress over statistics and all that I have hope that both babies will be fine. I never was told I could loose a twin. But every office is different good luck 
  • Hey everyone I just realized this thread existed haha, I need to start scrolling through the threads more often. How is everyone?
    A question I had is which car seat is everyone planning on having? Also do you plan on trading the infant car seat to get the all in one booster when the time is right or do you plan on selling the car seat?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @WishingforLuck I got the Chicco key 30 fit from babies r us and tried them out this weekend easy to install and great reviews 
  • @WishingforLuck We've bought two of the Graco mid level ones, the one that goes down to 4 pounds. We'll buy a Maxi-Cosi for our third one for whoever is largest when we get to leave the hospital.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31