Multiples
Options

New Here! Questions on reading materials...

Hello, my name is Jessi and I just wanted to introduce myself.  I'm new to this board.  Hubby and I are first time parents, expecting fraternal twins (genders unknown) April 18, 2017, but I figure we should be ready to go in March just in case. 

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, regarding multiple pregnancies, births, and babies.  Has anyone read Dr. Barbara Luke's "When You're Expecting Twins, Triplets or Quads"?  I've found it to be very informational, but to be honest, some of it scares the daylights out of me.  I am fully aware of how difficult this pregnancy could be and that the birth and subsequent child rearing will be twice as difficult as well, but there is so much mention of miscarriage in the book (a lot in the 2nd trimester)  that sometimes I have to put it down and walk away for a few days.  I feel like she's saying that if we don't follow her protocols, we're more likely to suffer a loss.  Anyone else read this book?  Thoughts?  Feelings?  Like I said, the book is very educational and I've gotten a lot of good info out of it, but some of it just scares the crap out of me.

In the meantime, we're chugging along here at 16 weeks.  Hubby is set to deploy mid-month but he and his command SWEAR that they will get him home for the birth... that's another can of worms.  Hope everyone here is doing well, can't wait to make some new friends!

Re: New Here! Questions on reading materials...

• Options
    First off, congrats!! Yes,  I read that book & it's a bit over the top. To be honest, I kind of skimmed through the "medical" parts & focused mainly on what to do after they came home. It's good to be informed and minimize your risks, but that's also why you have on OB to turn to with questions.  As I said, I focused mostly on info for after they were born. I felt like that was what I wanted to spend my time educating myself on. 
    I don't really have any other book recommendations, unfortunately. Honestly--your best resource is another mom of multiples or joining your local mother of multiples group. My boys are now 13 months & my greatest piece of advice is to by a Table for Two for feeding :) 

DH & I married 12/17/2012
    Me (31)-dx w/PCOS 2007, when married to ex-husband after MC
    DH (41)-no MFI
    07/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI= chem preg ;(
    08/2014-Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    09/2014-Clomid 100mg + trigger + IUI + 2nd trigger= BFN
    10/2014-benched due to RE out of town, tying naturally!
    11/2014-benched due to cyst
    12/2014-Femara 5mg + stair step with additional 5 days Femara 5mg + trigger + IUI=BFN
    01/2015-Femara 5mg + Gonal F 25 units + trigger (plus additional Gonal F 100 units on trigger night) + IUI= BFP!!! Twins due 10/2015
    09/28/2015- Surprise!  Conrad and Hudson born at 35w6d!  
  • Options
    Congrats! I did not read any books about multiples pregnancy.  I did watch a national geographic documentary on how multiples interact in the womb and it was very cool. I was active throughout my pregnancy, worked a physical job up until the day I had a scheduled C-section at 37+2. Just listen to your body and check in with your Doc if you have questions.  GL!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17