November 2016 Moms

Dumb Questions - October Edition

124»

Re: Dumb Questions - October Edition

• BmcD2016 said:

kvruns said:
    When do babies play with toys? Like when do you put them on a play mat, is it early on even though they don't really do anything or do you wait for a few months? Or a rattle or other noisemaker - how old? 
    I think by 3-4 weeks is a good time to place them on their tummies and shake a rattle to get their head up. The activity mats usually around 1 month or so, they basically start as a distraction for baby so you can get a break. I can't remember how old when they actually play with them though
    I was thinking more of when can I use as distraction lol. I know the one I have has a spot to hook toys for tummy time so I figure that will be the start of it 
  • I suck. One more dumb question... 
    bucket car Seats (the ones click and connect). Should they be installed in the middle basically all the time? 
  • Loading the player...
  • kristah2 said:
    I suck. One more dumb question... 
    bucket car Seats (the ones click and connect). Should they be installed in the middle basically all the time? 
    The middle is the safest option generally, but whatever location in your car allows you to get the best install is actually safest. 

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kristah2 said:
    I'm toying with that now. H installed the base Saturday and said something about having the LATCH have to stretch and barely fit for my middle seat. So I looked at the manual and mine says you can't use the latch system in the middle seat. I told him we could still do the seatbelt option but he put it on the side instead. I think I will probably switch it to the middle with seatbelt instead. Not to mention even though I have an SUV he said he had to move up the passenger seat for the car seat to fit and his knees would be up in the dash so he would either be uncomfortable or he would need to drive my car if we're all together
  • kristah2 said:
    The rule is to install it wherever you get the most secure install.  I only have the Latch system on my outside seats and I felt like it was more secure with the latch so I have the baby behind me (driver). 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • msu_gal said:
    kristah2 said:
    The rule is to install it wherever you get the most secure install.  I only have the Latch system on my outside seats and I felt like it was more secure with the latch so I have the baby behind me (driver). 
    I actually just left my car seat inspection at the hospital and they said basically the same thing. The lady doing it said it didn't matter if it went on the peripheral seats as long as it was installed correctly and securely. She did say that the middle seat in theory is more safe since if it's a side collision LO would be in the middle but that peripheral seats are just as safe and many SUV's especially don't allow for middle seat installation regardless of if it's latch or seatbelt (read your car's manual). Lastly, she did say that the seat belt and the latch were equally as safe, one isn't more safe than the other.
  • kvruns said:
    When do babies play with toys? Like when do you put them on a play mat, is it early on even though they don't really do anything or do you wait for a few months? Or I f rattle or other noisemaker - how old? 
    I found a mat a nice safe place to put the baby, basically right off.   Also, they do like to start and look at the dangling toys, etc.   I have a photo of my oldest first playing with a toy at 2.5, almost 3 months.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Anyone use Dr Browns bottles? What is the difference between the Natural Flow and Options versions? We registered for Options but not sure if we could do the regular ones that are cheaper 
  • kvruns said:
    Anyone use Dr Browns bottles? What is the difference between the Natural Flow and Options versions? We registered for Options but not sure if we could do the regular ones that are cheaper 
    I used Dr. Browns with my first and loved them. The insert in the bottle is to help air flow. I could be wrong but I remember hearing it's to help prevent colic.

Also, when I took the breast feeding class the nurse said that babies have to work for the milk a bit more than some other bottles. This helps if you are breastfeeding because babies have to work harder on the boob. 
  • Does baby/have you felt baby moving during BH or real contractions?

She is on the move right now but I'm having some sharpish pains down there. Dont think theyre real or fake contractions, but made me wonder.

(If you want context for my movement + pain—had step aerobics 10-11; just got home and ate eggs, bacon and a pumpkin roll. :D
  • @hoosiermama it sounds more like lightning crotch to me. If she's moving a lot she is probably putting pressure on the nerves in your groin area which is why the sharp pains.
  • @rspalding001 My question was actually, " Does baby/have you felt baby moving during BH or real contractions?"

I was just giving context about what prompted me to think of it. I'm one of those people who goes too into detail and background when telling a story :p
  • But yes, lightning crotch as been a real thing for me the last few weeks!
  • I actually came here to ask almost the same question @hoosiermama asked!

I have constant BH contractions all night, and in the day I get about 1 every 45 mins or less. The daytime ones don't concern me, they're far apart and only last 30 secs to 2 mins, but the nighttime ones are awful, and I can't help but wonder, does this stress the baby?? They must crush her, she definitely does not move during them... Is there such thing as too many BH?

Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269

• I don't think it is bad for baby.   With my second,  I had painful contractions that would last all day for weeks leading up to giving birth,  and she seemed just fine when she was born.   They usually like to be tightly swaddled when they are newborns,  so hopefully it's not a bad feeling for them.   I did have BH's all day yesterday,  and when they finally stopped in the evening she moved around a ton, so I'm sure she notices them.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• MollySm said:
    I don't think it is bad for baby.   With my second,  I had painful contractions that would last all day for weeks leading up to giving birth,  and she seemed just fine when she was born.   They usually like to be tightly swaddled when they are newborns,  so hopefully it's not a bad feeling for them.   I did have BH's all day yesterday,  and when they finally stopped in the evening she moved around a ton, so I'm sure she notices them.  
    Thanks for this! I didn't have a single contraction before labor with DD and yet here I am having sporadic contractions ALL the time. This lack of predictability is driving me crazy!
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • @SandNStarsNJ Im right there with you! My only signs of labor last quickly produced a baby. Now, I've been contracting for day and I'm just ready to get this show on the road!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsBigTime Are you having real contractions or BH? I had my first "real" contraction on Sunday and daaaaammmnn. If you're having real ones all day then girl, I feel for you. Now that I know what to actually expect I'm definitely reconsidering meds...
  • @MrsMaryK2016 Just breathe, you'll be fine. The intensity really only surges once your water breaks.

@MrsBigTime - So frustrating, no? I'm already judging this kid...
  • @MrsBigTime Are you having real contractions or BH? I had my first "real" contraction on Sunday and daaaaammmnn. If you're having real ones all day then girl, I feel for you. Now that I know what to actually expect I'm definitely reconsidering meds...
    They were pretty real Saturday night, but not the same intensity as in active labor. Yep! "Real" contractions are unlike anything else, and they suck for sure! BUT!!! When you are in active labor, you can use that pain for a purpose and you are actively working for something, so although each one is painful, it's with good reason and it makes it a bit easier (NOT EASY!!) to handle. Does that make sense? 

@SandNStarsNJ
    I just think that after all the trouble she's put me through, she'll be a freaking stellar sleeper - at least that is my expectation from her because her sister was a piece of cake to carry and birth but I paid for it in the sleeping department. Maybe this one will atone for her trouble with 6 (8???!?!) hours straight pretty early ;)

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MrsBigTime Actually that does make complete sense! I only had the one contraction and it was definitely an eye opener. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to have a full day's worth and have labor go no where. 

@SandNStarsNJ I'm only slightly exaggerating the epidural need. I am still going to try med free assuming my doctor doesn't convince me about the c-section this week. 
  • Is there actually a need for say 10 washcloths and towels? I understand like 10 burp cloths cuz they get dirty by definition but washcloths? and for drying off a clean baby shouldn't 1 towel + 1backup be enough? I'm going by what we need around house for us and extending similar logic to baby. Last month I was in binge shopping mood, now I want to return stuff
  • Is there actually a need for say 10 washcloths and towels? I understand like 10 burp cloths cuz they get dirty by definition but washcloths? and for drying off a clean baby shouldn't 1 towel + 1backup be enough? I'm going by what we need around house for us and extending similar logic to baby. Last month I was in binge shopping mood, now I want to return stuff
    Wash cloths come in handy for bathing before the umbilical cord stump falls off if that helps... and when they're older they like to use them in the shower, if that helps.

@MrsMaryK2016 - I hope you get the labor plan you want. It's tough spot to be in with a doctor encouraging a c-section. Good luck!
    For me, washcloths get washed after every bath so I had 10+ and used them. Towels get re-used for a few baths, so I had 2 or 3 hooded ones and was fine. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

I bought a ton of washcloths off aliexpress, and then I got quadruple that at my babyshower, now I have washcloths coming out of my ears.

I plan on using them as spit up catchers, I'm going to leave them all over the house, which theoretically should save on laundry since washcloths take up way less space in the wash. That's what my friend has been doing with her newborn and it's worked great! Nice and absorbent.

Me: 33 | DH: 34
    TTC #1 Oct 2015
    BFP Mar 26, 2016 - DD born Nov 2016 <3
    TTC #2 since Mar 2017
    DX: MF June 2019, varicocele embolization Jan 2020, good improvement (14 mil, low motility)
    IUI#1 Aug 2020 - BFN
    IVF #1 Dec 2020 (ICSI) - ER, freeze-all - 15 retrieved, 15 mature, 15 fertilized. 4 embryos frozen, all day 5 blasts!
    FET #1 Feb 2021 - BFN
    FET #2 Apr 2021 - BFP 5DP5DT!! Beta #1 13DP5DT (17DPO)  = HcG 1,238. Beta #2 17DP5DT (21DPO) = HcG 8,269