November 2016 Moms

Things I've learned by day 3.

As a FTM, I've learned several things (and we aren't even out of the hospital yet...going home tomorrow!)

1. I need waaaaay more burp cloths and wash cloths. Spit ups are real and spontaneous, and always unexpected.
2. Breastfeeding is either really easy or really hard.  Having a hell of a time. Still no latch. But I'm having success pumping and supplementing. She's eating a lot and hasn't lost any weight yet.
3. Tearing during delivery sucks bad. Really tender and painful aftercare. Get the big ass pads they offer, it's worth it. I cant hold my pee at all. Luckily they catch it all. Ice packs feel great. Be careful wiping, cause a tug on that stitch will send you through the roof. Take the motrin.
4. I didn't poop for 4 days. Really hurt when I finally did. Take the colace.
5. Use the nursery at night so you can partner can sleep. They feed them when they need to be fed and you don't have to worry about messing that up as long as you're there. But be prepared for your own separation anxiety. I've woken up the last two nights sobbing.
6. Swaddling is great, make sure you get nice quality blankets though. The cheap Circo brand from target are pretty disappointing. Thin and stiff and weird. The hospital striped ones are a lot warmer.
7. Slow flow nipples (if you're supplementing) are better. If you use the regular ones, they eat too quickly and will screw up their tummy and spit it all up all over their clean outfit you just changed them into lol
8. Don't freak out if you find baby's belly button clamp laying in the crib after getting them back from nursery. DH freaked out until they finally told us they removed it because her belly button was dry enough. Lol...that was a fun panic attack.
9. Take all and any information from the nurses. It's really invaluable. 
10. Baby blues is real. Didn't think it would be. But guess what I'm doing right now at almost 1 o'clock and she's still in the nursery? That's right, I'm here. Lol

Good luck FTM's. I'm right there with ya.

Re: Things I've learned by day 3.

• Thank you for this! You got this momma! 
  • Good info! I was given about 10-12 burp cloths at my shower and I think MIL is bringing some she made when she visits - guess I wont have too many after all!
  • Loading the player...
  • This is all too true @jenesisio:

3. Tearing during delivery sucks bad. Really tender and painful aftercare. Get the big ass pads they offer, it's worth it. I cant hold my pee at all. Luckily they catch it all. Ice packs feel great. Be careful wiping, cause a tug on that stitch will send you through the roof. Take the motrin.
    4. I didn't poop for 4 days. Really hurt when I finally did. Take the solace.

I tore with my first and am desperately hoping to not this time... putting Tucks Pads on the big pads can provide quite a bit of relief too should your hospital supply them. If not, they're on Amazon and just about every pharmacy. I'm also leaning towards using Depends instead of just pads for the sake of catching everything.

I hope the blues clears up and you can get some sleep soon, new mama!
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Ladies, buy a bottle of witch hazel, soak pads and freeze them at home. Homemade frozen tucks pads!
    All of my friends who've had kids said to make your own padsicles. I found a website with a recipe that was basically take a maxi pad, 2 T witch hazel, 1 T aloe vera and 1 t oil (jojoba or lavender were recommended) and freeze in gallon size ziplock bags. I did it in an hour or so one night when I started feeling contractions.
  • Does your hospital or town have a lactation consultant? My OB had a knowledgeable nurse and she helped me a lot in the early days of breastfeeding. My first 2. #3 is a bit of a lazy latcher but we're working on it. If you can see one or if there is a breastfeeding support group, I definitely suggest. Unless your happy, pumping and in that case, keep up the good work! 

And i got Hudson muslin swaddle blankets off Amazon. They're on off brand of Aden and Anais. You can get 2 for $13 (instead of $32). They're awesome for swaddling. They're big and soft. They are thin so you have to dress baby accordingly or add a blanket. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jenesisojenesiso member
    edited October 2016
    So today I discovered why I was also in a whole mess of pain: two hemmroids. Going to the store later to take care of that.
    Gonna stock up on more cloth diapers. I tell ya, there's never enough. Both DH and I are desperate for more.
    Pissed i can't take a bath for 4-6 weeks. My feet swelled three times in size yesterday, so expect that. All the prego fluid has to go somewhere!
    There's no shame in a Depends game. seriously. I'm gonna pick up some myself. My bladder is so weak it's pointless because it hurts to get up and run to the toilet.

One piece of good news though, milk is starting to come in and it's only been 3 days now. Mine is a preemie and we had to supplement, but I managed to get out 30mls this morning! What a relief.

Anyway.

Ugh. 
    Gonna go find some ice to put on mah butt.
  • @jenesiso
    Hang in there, mama! Day 3 was a huge emotional roller coaster for me! 

Also, those cheap and crappy swaddling blankets make great spit up rags for when you are home!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jenesiso I hated the fact I couldn't soak in the tub for 6 weeks after my delivery and am not looking forward to it this second time around. Baths are so relaxing and is one of the first things I did after my 6 week check up! I am still learning things and will be a STM and I work in a daycare. It is amazing the little tricks people have found! Good luck with your little one!!
  • My dr. Told me I should soak in a warm water bath or can add witch hazel but should limit to ten minutes. It's very soothing and I just shower after. Just make sure you don't add soap!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Also, does anyone have tips on cutting baby finger nails??!! My dr. Told me to file but I tried and they are too soft! I want to keep him in the little onsies with mittens until he's 8! 
  • Round tip scissors!
  • I love this thread! As a STM, I would have loved to read this and know I wasn't alone in BFing issues, baby blues, etc. when I had DS. Keep the tips coming :-)
  • Also! Night 1 gives you false hope of pleasant sleep. Night 2 on.. he will no longer sleep anywhere unless he is in someone else's mind. 

And c section... your stomach loses feeling. No one tells you that. And you do not need giant pads. I am hating wearing it but I don't have smaller ones yet! 
  • Im a 4th time mom and still learning things like how to handle baby blues which started yesterday and are worse today day 4. I've also ripped my stitches and have had horrible swelling (which I've never had before). This is my second DS with my first I never second guessed getting him circumcised but this time I almost didn't let the dr take him and was in tears even my DH was hesitant! I had my tubes tied the day I delivered and didn't realize that my stomach would be so swollen after (like I still look pregnant) and it's taken an emotional toll on me so I have to keep reminding myself that I'm only 4 days PP. There is so much going on sometimes just knowing other mammas are going through the same thing help... 
  • anne11716 said:
    Also, does anyone have tips on cutting baby finger nails??!! My dr. Told me to file but I tried and they are too soft! I want to keep him in the little onsies with mittens until he's 8! 
    Bite them! Seriously, they are so soft, you just barely grab a little corner and gently tear the nail away. It's so
    easy and doesn't take too much of the nail so that they have pain (spoken as the mom who spent evening #1 crying because I cut my brand new baby with clippers!)
    I agree. Biting them really works best. 
  • Screw the small pads. Hell, screw the giant pads. I always ended up dunking them accidentally in the toilet rushing to sit to pee. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I went and bought me some Depends tonight and it was a great decision. Just line those bad boys with tucks pads and you're good to go. I'm still in a lot of pain and my bladder is super weak and they're really good at catching everything. Besides they're way less bunchy than the giant pads the hospital gives you. Seriously it's not like we have to wear them for the rest of our lives, just long enough to heal. Right now I'm worried i may have an infection...my stitches hurt bad and earlier there was kinda a weird green discharge when I blotted (sorry for my tmi). I don't have a fever, but I am super achy and sore, especially in my lower back.

PS. Pumping gets easier. I'm getting 30ml in 10ish minutes and she's 4 days old. Be patient. 

OH and the best thing EVER...at the hospital they had me chart and record everything we did...every feeding, pumping, diaper change, kangaroo time...instead my husband today found an incredible app called Baby Manager that charts all of that info on your phone and you and your partner can log into the same baby profile and see what each other did and charged. I'm so happy to have this. 
  • @jenesiso ... kangaroo time? is that skin to skin?
  • @leighry Yes. That's what my hospital called it.
  • Um, yeah. Seriously guys. I'm NOT joking here. Urine incontinence is super terrible. I just went to the store and was looking at replacement bottle nipples when GUSH! All the way down my leg ONTO THE FLOOR...front of my jeans completely soaked. I was wearing depends but i peed so much it leaked.

I don't know what else to do before my pelvic muscles tighten back up. Stay home? Lol...this kid needs too much crap. You think you got everything you needed at your shower?? LOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLL HA. Yeah right. I've spent 250 in the last two days.

Lots of pee.
  • Clean up, aisle 7.. Barry. clean up aisle 7.  :D I hope your pelvic muscles return to you soon!!!
  • Lol I know right? Thank goodness it wasn't blood instead of pee!

I realized today I should have began a regiment of colace or stool softeners WELL BEFORE giving birth. Still waiting for them to kick in. Not good times down south.
  • For tearing, a spray bottle when you pee so no wiping.   But my Mom gave me the advice of using diaper rash cream on myself.   I don't why I hadn't thought of it but it really helped.
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Do they not have peri bottles anymore that they send home with you? 

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • I dread to ask - what's the substitute for no wiping post BM? I'm ok w not wiping after urination but....not after a BM seems weird..plus no shower or bath  for 6wks right? So we smell worse than our babies for 6wks??? 
  • I dread to ask - what's the substitute for no wiping post BM? I'm ok w not wiping after urination but....not after a BM seems weird..plus no shower or bath  for 6wks right? So we smell worse than our babies for 6wks??? 
    You can very lightly pat with toilet paper, but it hurts. Spraying water on it is the only way to get clean. I sat one cheek on the edge of the tub today and sprayed my area for a good few minutes. The warm water felt good. 

My dr said no baths but shower is fine. You don't want anything (water, soap, etc) back through inside into your cervix where your mucus plug was. But then I've read online other drs say it's OK , like ten minutes with epsom salts. Unfortunately my DH is hell bent on me not taking a bath so not to upset him I'm trying not to lol
    They gave me a cheap plastic squirt sitz bottle. Gotta refill it every three seconds lol...I can't wait till I heal. Not being able to walk right or clean right is dreadful.
    I only got one right after delivery but not after I was transferred to postpartum! 
  • Also ladies if you have stitches be careful when you have your first BM because not only will you get  hemorrhoids from hell but you can apparently rip your stitches! Yay day 5 PP
  • I'm 12 days pp and feeling a little... itchy. Nothing crazy but just annoying. I'm thinking it's from healing? I had a first degree and two stitches. Anyone else? 
  • anne11716 said:
    I'm 12 days pp and feeling a little... itchy. Nothing crazy but just annoying. I'm thinking it's from healing? I had a first degree and two stitches. Anyone else? 
    They gave me a bottle of hydrocortisone for that...I had the same tear.
  • anne11716 said:
    I'm 12 days pp and feeling a little... itchy. Nothing crazy but just annoying. I'm thinking it's from healing? I had a first degree and two stitches. Anyone else? 
    With my first I had second degree tearing and a lot of stitches. I found the Tucks Pads to be great relief for itching. 
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • @jenesiso what kind of stuff did you find yourself needing to buy these first days that you didn't already have?
  • anne11716 said:
    Earth Mama Angel Baby Mama Bottom Balm! Try it, it's awesome! 

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    @jenesiso what kind of stuff did you find yourself needing to buy these first days that you didn't already have?
    Well for starters, I didn't know I was going to have a preemie so I had no clothes for her that fit. Everything i had was 0-3mo and way too big for her. She was 6lbs8oz, but still too small.
    I hated the receiving blankets I was given so I replaced those ...
    Because she was spitting up too much using the normal flow nipples, we had to get slow flow nipples...
    Things like extra trash bags for the diaper genie...stuff to fill the diaper bag like we only had one tube of diaper rash cream so I bought more. I also didn't have bassinet sheets so I bought those. I got a free boppy but I didn't have a cover so I had to buy that...the pacifier the hospital gives you is pretty big and clunky for a preemie so we had to buy smaller light weight ones...we had to get spare membranes for the pump because they're super easy to lose down the sink...

Geez lol...this is barely it...

What else...today we bought a mirror for the back seat head rest. I also picked another nursing bra up because my milk has come in and nothing I had fit. I need to return the too small one I bought today ...we also stocked up on more Gerber cloth diapers because you can never have too many. 

Im sure there's more im missing but that's off the top of my head. Oh and I dropped 125bucks today for 3 more car seat bases, one for my husband's car, and one each for the grandmother's. 

Phew!
  • jenesiso said:
    kvruns said:
    @jenesiso what kind of stuff did you find yourself needing to buy these first days that you didn't already have?
    Well for starters, I didn't know I was going to have a preemie so I had no clothes for her that fit. Everything i had was 0-3mo and way too big for her. She was 6lbs8oz, but still too small.
    Because she was spitting up too much using the normal flow nipples, we had to get slow flow nipples...
    Things like extra trash bags for the diaper genie...stuff to fill the diaper bag like we only had one tube of diaper rash cream so I bought more. I also didn't have bassinet sheets so I bought those. I got a free boppy but I didn't have a cover so I had to buy that...the pacifier the hospital gives you is pretty big and clunky for a preemie so we had to buy smaller light weight ones...we had to get spare membranes for the pump because they're super easy to lose down the sink...

What else...today we bought a mirror for the back seat head rest. I also picked another nursing bra up because my milk has come in and nothing I had fit. I need to return the too small one I bought today ...we also stocked up on more Gerber cloth diapers because you can never have too many. 

Im sure there's more im missing but that's off the top of my head. Oh and I dropped 125bucks today for 3 more car seat bases, one for my husband's car, and one each for the grandmother's. 

Phew!
    Keep in mind, you can do a baseless coarsest install. We thought we needed multiple bases too, but honestly reverted to baseless installs pretty quickly because it was just as easy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jenesiso said:
    Um, yeah. Seriously guys. I'm NOT joking here. Urine incontinence is super terrible. I just went to the store and was looking at replacement bottle nipples when GUSH! All the way down my leg ONTO THE FLOOR...front of my jeans completely soaked. I was wearing depends but i peed so much it leaked.

I don't know what else to do before my pelvic muscles tighten back up. Stay home? Lol...this kid needs too much crap. You think you got everything you needed at your shower?? LOLOLOLOLOLLLLLLL HA. Yeah right. I've spent 250 in the last two days.

Lots of pee.
    Ask your doctor now.  It might not be too early to start physical therapy.  You don't have to live with this.  It can be fixed.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• atcwag said:
    jenesiso said:
    kvruns said:

Phew!
    Keep in mind, you can do a baseless coarsest install. We thought we needed multiple bases too, but honestly reverted to baseless installs pretty quickly because it was just as easy. 
    The bolded.   This is one of the first things we bought as well after baby was born.  Highly recommend one!
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Any body deal with a lot of discomfort in the breasts after milk starts to come in. They hurt so bad. And my back (upper back/shoulders) make me want to cry it's so bad. Tips to releve the discomfort?