March 2017 Moms
Options

Anatomy scan result question

I probably shouldn't have looked at the report, but I couldn't help myself. First of all, most of the report is reported as being unremarkable, so that's good, but the kidneys list the following: Bilateral renal collecting systems appear mildly prominent, measuring 8 mm on the right and 6 mm on the left. It also states that they may suggest another ultrasound father along in the pregnancy to check the kidneys again.

Anyone else ever have this type of diagnosis? Of course, any time there is an issue, even a mild one as they put it, it causes a freak out moment. I'm just not finding much on Dr Google :(  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anatomy scan result question

• Options
    I have not, but I had a friend who did. She went back in a few weeks for a recheck and everything was fine.
    Someone might have been info on it, but my understand is that the kidneys are very important so they just like to keep a close eye on them even for little issues that wouldn't matter in other places. 
    Easier said than done but try not to stress. The fact that they didn't have you come in right away is a good thing! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you @howdthathappen I'm going to try not to stress over it. I'm hopeful since it's mild that she'll outgrow it and it won't be an issue. I just had my scan done Friday, since I haven't heard anything yet from the office, I'll take that as a good sign.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Second that. If it was concerning they most definitely would've had a conversation with you about it afterwards. Way easier said than done, but do your best to relax and know that no news is good news at this point. 
  • Options

Keep in mind too that ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate. I'm sure it's fine.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will be having a second ultrasound to recheck LO's kidneys at 30 weeks. My midwife called yesterday to let me know that they will be monitoring them due to the dialation at our scan.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DS1.5 had the same thing. It's called pyelectasis, or dilation of the renal pelvis, or in slightly more severe cases, hydronephrosis. It's actually a very common finding on ultrasound and in the vast majority of cases, doesn't end up being a problem.  I had a couple follow up ultrasounds to see if it corrected itself (it didn't) so DS has had 2 ultrasounds so far and it's getting better-his doc isn't concerned whatsoever and believes it will not require any kind of treatment.  Very worst case scenario is a minor (read : MINOR ) non-invasive procedure when the child is a bit older, usually they wait until 4 or 5.  Hope that helps! Deep breath, I know any kind of "abnormality" sounds scary but this one is no biggie :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We have similar on one kidney. The doctor said depending on the gender up to 1 in 3 babies has this happen a little at some point towards the middle of the pregnancy, super common. Often it happens when one part of the system has grown a little faster than the other (ex. the kidneys grew a little faster than the tubes that empty them), and usually it will resolve on its own so they just keep an eye on it. 
    He also said he recommends to call with questions and stay off Google about it, literally because of what you said. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @dirtymartini thank you so much! I've read about pyelectasis in my searching, and definitely felt a lot better, it helped my stressing out realizing how minor of an issue it should be. I'm glad your DS is doing well :) 

Pregnancy Ticker