2nd Trimester
Options

Single Umbilical Artery - Complication

AmberMac714AmberMac714 member
edited October 2016 in 2nd Trimester
Last week at our 20w US, we were diagnosed with SUA. Baby boy loves his breach position, so today, during the level 2 US, the tech couldn't get a very good view of his left kidney (mentioning it may be pelvic). The heart and right kidney look good, but the doctor said his head was measuring small. They measured both my husband and my heads and we're both average. 

Neither the doctor nor the geneticist said we should get the amniocentesis, but it felt like they thought we should; and it was offered due to the SUA and small head. The genetic testing said we were 1:100,000 for Down Syndrome, but there are so many other abnormalities that could be present. We opted for the amniocentesis and it was performed today as well (with test results in 10-14 days).

After reading the message boards, I know lots of healthy babies have been born with SUA, but have others/are others experiencing these other issues? I'm just hoping for some piece of mind to get me through these next couple of weeks of waiting.

Re: Single Umbilical Artery - Complication

• Options
    My baby also has a SUA. Does your hospital/doctor's office have a genetic counselor that you can talk to? My baby doesn't have any complications from the SUA, but after she was diagnosed at my 20w u/s, we met with the genetic counselor who was able to give us a lot of information and help us wrap our heads around everything and she helped us really understand our specific risks and plan of monitoring based on my test results. It may help you get some real, personalized information, since I know from experience that the things you're finding and reading online are probably just giving you more questions and worry. 

Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We did meet with a very sweet genetic counselor, but her lack of response left us feeling more in the dark. There is so much unknown and I know she can't really say what is going on until the amnio results are back, especially since the SUA isn't isolated. It has been 24 hours since the amnio, and it has been the longest 24 hours of my life. I can't imagine how long these next couple of weeks will be.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @AmberMac714 I'm sorry that counselor wasn't more helpful. Hopefully after you get your results back they'll be able to offer you more support, and form a plan for monitoring that will put you more at ease. Good luck to you, I hope that all is well with you and baby.

Me: 28 | DH: 31
    Together since 2006 | Married May 2015
    TTC #1 since November 2015
    BFP 5/17/16 | EDD 1/27/17 | Born 2/4/17

• Options
    A girl in my old BMB dealt with something similar. Her son had a SUA and similar numbers for the risk of Downs on the genetic testing. He also had some soft markers for Downs on the AS. She opted not to do the amnio, but they did monitor him a lot to make sure he was growing okay. He was born at 36 weeks, a little on the skinny side, but otherwise perfectly healthy. Hopefully you have a similar outcome!

Thinking of you as you're going through this difficult time waiting for your amnio results.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with SUA as well about two weeks ago. We also saw some brain cysts (I forget the name, the dr said they would go away and wasn't concerned though). All of his organs looked fine thankfully. I had done the chromosomal abnormality test Maternity21 at 16ish weeks so once we found out about this I was happy to know that test had come back negative already. I hope you get good news and I am thinking about you during the wait. Although I am not glad any of us is dealing with this, I am happy to have found others to chat with about the SUA. 

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• Options
    My baby boy also has SUA. We did testing early because my previous pregnancy my daughter had T13, so we knew that he didn't have any genetic abnormalities due to the SUA. We had ultrasound 2 along with fetal echo and everything checked out great. I now have growth ultrasounds every 4 weeks to make sure he is growing as he should be. Then at 36 weeks I'll start NST.  My OB and NP, along with my sonographer told me they see many babies born completely healthy and have no complications due to SUA. If anything maybe a little smaller but not by much. My OB also told me recently he has been having more patients with this.  Stay positive and hang in there I know it's hard not too. I'm sure everything is going to check out perfectly fine!