January 2017 Moms

The Hospital Bag Thread

2»

Re: The Hospital Bag Thread

• With my son, I had everything for him and my fiance. I completely forgot to pack a going home outfit for myself! So this time I have extra clothes, for me and baby, she has like 3 outfits lol blankets, our phone chargers, camera, my fiance has his own little bag. I have shower stuff, hairbrush, and socks omg socks. With my son the hospital only let me nibble on an apple for an hour, and since he was born at 12 am, al they had for me to eat afterward was a small sandwich box. I was starving so this time I'm making sure I have some snacks of some kind and things to eat after she comes. Thankfully we live just up the road from our hospital so my fiance or his sisters can run there if we forget things!

• Wow, awesome suggestions here!

FTM here, and I haven't started my bag yet, but here are a few things friends recommended to me that I don't think have been mentioned yet: shower slippers (flip flops) for you and H (if public showers concern you), swim trunks for H so that he can shower with you but also be ready to be on the move, and a plastic donut pillow in the car for the ride home. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We had a bag packing discussion in birthing class last week. A few things she mentioned that I didn't think about before the discussion - if you bring towels, blankets, or pillows (our hospital towels are slightly bigger than hand towels so I'm strongly considering it), check with the hospital for their linen color. Our hospital uses white, so anything white is automatically grabbed by house keeping. Also bring medicine for DH. He'll likely want some ibuprofen after all the excitement (and sleeping on those awful beds) and the hospital isn't allowed to administer any medicine to him as he's not a patient. Lastly, bring some creature comforts for your stay - LED candles, scented lotions, music, movies, blankets - anything that will make you more comfortable. 

After being here overnight, I'm definitely going to pick up some cozy socks and slippers. And I'm bringing at least one pillow from home. DH will be lucky if I don't make him drag the Snoogle here. I also want to pick up some nightgowns/robes because this hospital gown is hot and uncomfortable, especially while sleeping. 
  • it's been 5years since I packed a bag lol so I don't even remember what we took then...last time baby came early so I was unprepared, he ended up spending 1 day in the NICU so I had DH run me to the walmart down the street from the hospital and I grabbed a pair of pjs, underwear, hair ties, toiletries etc. Everything else was provided by the hospital or in gifts from visitors (Baby's going home outfit was bought by my mom the day he was born).

This time I will probably bring the basic toiletries, a going home outfit for myself and baby, pjs for me, BLACK underwear for me (I love the mesh underwear and totally wear those while in the hospital, but for going home I want a real pair) then DH packs his own stuff...or runs home at some point to grab things after baby is here lol. I don't typically pack extra clothes for baby just because our hospital provides these white 1/2 shirts for baby and they are swaddled the whole time with those...I love the white shirts so I try to take as many as I can home. Then of course visitors bring gifts and most of the time they have clothes in them, so if for some reason we needed an outfit for something other than heading home we'd have plenty to chose from.

Oh! Our first 2 boys, we packed a 2nd outfit for their hospital pictures, but that was before they changed the picture set up. Now all the hospitals in our area just provide a real photographer for you to pay a bunch of money for if you want, we always decline that now. 
    BabyGaga
    DS1 - 03/31/2006
    DS2 - 12/31/2008
    DS3 - 06/26/2012
    DS4 - 08/07/2014
  • These are all such great ideas! But I can't lie...these posts are giving me anxiety and making me feel like I'm far behind. My husband already thinks I'm crazy with how badly I want to get the nursery painted so I can start decorating and organizing!
    @BriannaE129129
    I'm there with you!! I haven't gotten ANYTHING ready. My husband keeps saying "we have several months left" so I don't want to seem like I'm over planning..... But now I'm starting to wonder... LOL
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I agree with pretty much everything listed above! Since I now have a 2 year old to worry about, DH had the idea of having her a little "go bag" filled with her favorite snacks, a little schedule of what her day typically looks like, blanket, toys... We are in a weird situation where we have about 5 people that may or may not be helping out depending on time of day/day of the week I go into labor.  DD is currently a MAJOR mommy clinger, so just knowing that she will have some of her favorite things will help me feel better about taking her to someone and heading to the hospital!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rdh33. Yes to swim trunks for DH! If he wants to get in the shower or tub with you while you labor, they won't let him be naked. Another thing my husband was adamant on bringing was a cushion (like a cushion you put on a dining chair) for certain labor positions that would require him to kneel. We also brought a deck of cards and tennis balls. I'm just now remembering these things since we never had time to use any of them. We learned a breathing technique in our birthing class where you hold up a card and breath the number of breaths on the card. It helps you to focus your breathing. 
  • sarag said:
    Wow that's a lot to think about!! 
    What type of bag are you using? Like a full on suitcase? I can't imagine fitting everything into a tote or backpack?

also not sure how to handle the no-car sitch. We live in NYC and will be taking taxi or Uber to hospital so thinking about bags, car seat, breast pump, pillow, etc!

we may have to wing it! 
    Everything in mine fits into a small 19" tote bag (excluding car seat and pillow) -- it just looks like a lot when it's all spread out ;). Assuming you have a support person with you to carry the car seat, you'll probably be fine Ubering. Unless you really overpack, I doubt you're going to end up with more stuff with you than the average taxi/Uber sees on average from people heading to the airports with luggage.
  • katesmama0706katesmama0706 member
    edited October 2016
    @sarag mine all fits into a regular sized backpack just fine, I have it in a small duffel because I leave extra space for taking all the stuff in the hospital room. But you certainly don't need a suitcase or anything that size. As for the no car deal, I'm sure in NYC you aren't the first mom to have to figure something out, ask your friends/OB/or even call the hospital and ask what people typically do when bringing their baby home and getting to the hospital but like canavara said, you aren't likely to have more than a typical airport passenger takes into a cab or uber.
  • last time i packed as small a bag as I could, and then with all the dipes, analgesic spray etc we took, and gifts and flowers and stuff we looked like the goddamn grapes of wrath on the way out of the hospital. So I would recommend maybe folding up another bag in yours bc you really do leave with so much more stuff than you came in with! 
  • Parley said:
    last time i packed as small a bag as I could, and then with all the dipes, analgesic spray etc we took, and gifts and flowers and stuff we looked like the goddamn grapes of wrath on the way out of the hospital. So I would recommend maybe folding up another bag in yours bc you really do leave with so much more stuff than you came in with! 
    hahaha I wish I could lovetit this like 10 times for the GoW analogy.
  • Last time I packed a small 19/20" carry on suitcase with wheels so very easy to transport. I'll be doing that again. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • @sarag I'm with you on the no car situation! Living in a big city and trying to figure out how to get to (and from!) the hospital sans car plus all this stuff adds a whole layer of stress. Knowing myself,  there will probably be a few false alarms and I'll have to haul all my stuff back and forth via uber several times until it's really show time! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Michellewfhs you are ahead of the game in my book--you have one more thing than me!!
  • @canavara @katesmama0706
    thanks for the input. I'll plan on duffel, that seems reasonable. Hubby can haul the car seat and snack bag!

@hayhay87 I'm thinking the same thing... false alarms and repeated trips AND that if I'm at work or away from home I'll have to head home first, can't just keep it packed in the trunk!
  • I only have baby's bag packed, it has 1 outfit newborn size, 1 outfit 0-3 size, socks, hat, blanket. I still need to pack bags for my other 2 girls, 2 changes each; my bag, 1 change of clothes to wear home, nursing pads, phone chargers, snacks, 2 changes of clothes for H, toiletries for H
  • So far I have Chapstick. 
    *Facepalm
    @Michellewfhs
    ME TOO!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yeah, I don't have anything ready either! lol 
    Me: 27, DH: 32
    Together: 1/24/11
    Married: 10/11/14
    BFP: 4/26/2016
    EDD: 1/4/2017

Pregnancy Ticker

• @annac113
    Thanks! I like that it's separated out, that's helpful. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sure this has been mentioned before but I just have to reiterate Nipple cream!!! If you are a breast feeding mom this was a Must for me! Lansinoh has a really nice one that helps a lot!! The hardest thing for me with my first was dealing with the discomfort of the first couple days of latching. The hospital gave me a couple samples with my first but nothing with my second and third.   
  • @TinaBelcher omg the NSTs make it so real! I was going for them twice weekly at the end of my last pregnancy so I'm convinced if they gave me one it'd send me into labor just by association
  • I'm starting to think I need to get on this packing thing soon... LOL. My doctor brought up that it's coming soon at my appointment yesterday. I think I started packing at 34-35 weeks last time around, but then I look around my half unpacked house and think I need to unpack first. Then I look at the couch. It's nice and comfy... packing can wait right?!
  • These lists are awesome. A couple things I would add:
    -stool softener (unless you make sure your Dr writes it in your order before they leave after the birth it can take a long time to get the order. I definitely recommend taking as soon as you can with nurse permission. You will be stopped up and trying to poop after birth, hurts!)
    -hair band/hair ties to keep out of your face 
    -plan on bringing a fan of some sort (your body will go through various temperatures)
    -iPad, easier to lay on lap as you won't want to have your arms folded up to support your phone
    -gift cards for nearby fast food restaurants or coffee shops in the hospital. You won't want to carry much cash and it was nice to send anxiously awaiting family members out to get the husband food/coffee with a gift card 
  • Oh man, I've only just now started thinking about my hospital bag and I completely forgot that baby needed clothes to wear home! *facepalm*
    I'm absolutely going to be following this board and hope I don't forget something vital.  :s
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Does anyone have a rec on nursing nightgowns for laboring/ at the hospital?
    as I understand you want the gown to be basicallly disposable (so cheap) to labor in but basically comfy and to have at least two sets to change in to.... I'm looking for something basic and inexpensive.

Links or specific names would be helpful if you've got a go-to!

• sarag said:
    Does anyone have a rec on nursing nightgowns for laboring/ at the hospital?
    as I understand you want the gown to be basicallly disposable (so cheap) to labor in but basically comfy and to have at least two sets to change in to.... I'm looking for something basic and inexpensive.

Links or specific names would be helpful if you've got a go-to!

Hmm....I'm not sure you'll be able to find cheap and disposable in the way of a nursing-specific nightgown.  I'm thinking Walmart for a cheap nightgown, but that may or may not be nursing-friendly.  I have preferred for my first two to wear loose, and/or yoga type pants or cheap pj bottoms after delivery and a good nursing bra or tank.  That, or no pants at all!
  • Totally off topic, but I LOVE your handwriting @cabu14
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @cabu14 looooove your baby name! 

I was mostly packed, then started pulling stuff out to pack when we travelled for Thanksgiving so now I need to start over basically. Oops! 
  • If anyone is looking for a robe, I found an awesome one at Target yesterday. It's a jersey knit fabric, but it's not thin so I feel like I won't freeze in the hospital wearing it. Elbow length kimono sleeves and hits above my knees. Ties in two places, really soft. 

No MIL looking at my butt flapping in a hospital gown this labor.  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • OMG @KarliQ88! That sounds like something our cat would do.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ok second time for me. The hospital has a lot of stuff so you don't need as much as you think. I will bring a robe, contacts, glasses if I can find them, gatorade, my breast pump and parts, face wash, toothbrush and paste, loose warm clothing for going home me, two outfits for baby depending on his size, blanket for baby, hat/mitts, booties for baby, car seat installed, small dr browns bottle just in case, pacifiers.