Breastfeeding

Choosing a pump

1stontheway1stontheway member
edited October 2016 in Breastfeeding
I am a first time mom due in March.  I'm fortunate that my insurance will cover the cost of a breast pump, but how do I choose one?  Should I order one now or wait until closer to my due date? I can choose from three different companies, and these are the pumps I can choose from:

Medela Pump In Style Advanced Breastpump Starter Set

Ameda Purely Yours Dual Electric Personal Breast Pump

Ameda Purely Yours Ultra 17085m

Freemie Freedom Hands free DAFG016

Spectra S2 SBUSP06l1

Hygeia 10056

Lansinoh signature Pro LO53016

I've looked at the reviews and each of them have very mixed reviews.  Being a first time mom I'm really not sure what to look for specifically or how to choose!  If anyone has personal experience with any of these pumps that they don't mind sharing I would appreciate it.  General advice is also appreciated.   :smile:

Re: Choosing a pump

• Think about what is important to you. Power? Portability? Discretion? Different pumps will have different aspects that they are better at. I have the Medela PISA and I like it pretty well. There are a handful of parts needed that occasionally need replacing, but they're widely available. If being able to pump on the go, something with a battery pack might be more useful. I think the freemie is supposed to be pretty discrete, but you still have to put it on, which isn't so discrete of a process.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • My insurance covered mine but they just brought me a Medla PIS at the hospital the day after the baby was born--- there was no discussion of what kind I wanted, but I am happy with mine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm waiting to order until the new year, but I guess there is no reason to wait. The only catch would be sometimes when you order they send you the pump and then Bill insurance after the baby's due date (since insurance probably won't cover the pump until baby is out and about), so I'm not sure If they have date restrictions. 

I think maybe what you need us not more reviews, which is kind of what you're asking for, and instead weigh the pros and cons of what you need with the reviews you've already read. :)

Fwiw last time I got a medela pisa, and this time I plan to get a spectra s2.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • 1stontheway1stontheway member
    edited October 2016
    I am leaning toward the Spectra S2!  I only wish it had a battery, but I did find a car adapter for it on Amazon that is inexpensive.  When I talked to my insurance company they acted like I could order it anytime, but I will double check about date restrictions.  
  • I am leaning toward the Spectra S2!  I only wish it had a battery, but I did find a car adapter for it on Amazon that is inexpensive.  When I talked to my insurance company they acted like I could order it anytime, but I will double check about date restrictions.  
    My doctor wouldn't prescribe it until later in pregnancy. I think 32 or 36 weeks. You'll usually need an Rx for insurance to cover it.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • My doctor gave me the prescription at my appointment today!  I haven't decided if I'll order now or wait a little longer.
  • I had a Medela PISA for both of my breastfeeding experiences. I pumped a full year with both pumps. I love the fact that it just looks like a large purse or bag. I love that it plugs in and has a battery pack for backup use. My insurance didn't give me an option. But I absolutely loved mine both times. I ended up pumping so much with my twins that I donated about 80 4 ounce bags of breastmilk to a mom in need. 

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have the Hygeia and love it. I bought mine used (it's one of the only ones that is safe for multiple users) and have exclusively pumped for 6 months now. I use Medela collection containers, flanges, etc. because I can buy them at target when they need to be replaced and they work fine with the Hygeia pump and tubing. I do prefer the Hygeia tubing over the Medela. I always end up with lots of moisture in the tubing when I use Medela's.  I do have a love hate relationship with my pump, but it has nothing to do with how the pump preforms and everything to do with the fact that I exclusively pump and it still eats up so much time out of my day. 
  • lola829lola829 member
    edited November 2016
    I started out with the Ameda Purely Yours and loved it until I found the Spectra S1/S2 (i have both). Spectra is a closed system which was important to me. An open system might allow the milk in the tubing. The new Spectras have wide mouth bottles but you can pump directly into Avent bottles too otherwise I use a converter and pump into Kiinde Twist bags.  Original Spectra parts are a little hard to find but I'm using replacement Avent membranes which fit great. Since I pump 2-3 times a day, i change the membranes every 3 months to keep a good suction. Good luck with pumping! It can be a real drag but it's so worth it. 
  • lola829 said:
    I started out with the Ameda Purely Yours and loved it until I found the Spectra S1/S2 (i have both). Spectra is a closed system which was important to me. An open system might allow the milk in the tubing. The new Spectras have wide mouth bottles but you can pump directly into Avent bottles too otherwise I use a converter and pump into Kiinde Twist bags.  Original Spectra parts are a little hard to find but I'm using replacement Avent membranes which fit great. Since I pump 2-3 times a day, i change the membranes every 3 months to keep a good suction. Good luck with pumping! It can be a real drag but it's so worth it. 

I am in exactly the same boat pumpwise. Check out Nenesupply for replacement parts. Better than the original Spectra parts. I ordered the Ameda kit and its interchangeable for both pumps. I dislike the Spectra bottles anyway. Way better membranes that are easier to remove. You can find them on amazon.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • I got a spectra pump and it works AMAZING. It was a total pain in the ass to find a pump that wouldn't hurt me.
    https://themomtips.com/  has a few reviews of good pumps
  • I am planning on getting the Spectra this time. I have had the Ameda Purely Yours (didn't feel it was strong enough/effective enough) and the Medela PIS which was better but still didn't feel like it was strong enough for me. I may rent a hospital grade to get going and get my supply up first. I have read great things about the Spectra pumps. I know one of them has a rechargeable battery. 
  • I had a Medela PISA for my first child, and a Spectra this time, and I love the Spectra about a million times more.  It's a stronger, hospital-grade pump, it's virtually silent by comparison, it has a battery recharge so you can go cordless (this never worked on my medela), and it is a closed system.  

The parts aren't store-available, but the retailer that filled my insurance order sent a box of replacement parts, so I have lots of extras should I need them, and you can also order them online.  

Also, there are other variables at play (second child is a much stronger nurser than first), but I struggled with output with my first, both in nursing and in pumping.  Not the case this time around.  As noted, having a better nurser obviously helps with supply boost, but I can't help but think that a more efficient pump is also contributing. 
  • @1stontheway I've chosen the Spectra s2 based on recommendations from friends and online reviews. It really seems to be the best and the most affordable. You can qualify through your insurance through Aeroflow. If you want more portability, you can upgrade to the Spectra s1.. the only difference being a rechargeable battery so you don't have to stay plugged into the wall.