November 2016 Moms

Dumb Questions - October Edition

Re: Dumb Questions - October Edition

• @kvruns
    If I had a large gift card, I'd take advantage of the bigger needed items with the completion coupon, or anything you'll use right away, but wouldn't go crazy. If you're buying one thing down the road as it's need arises, the 15% won't seem like such a big thing to miss out on, but if you're buying a lot right now, it'll seem like more. 
    Often, as you get in the swing of what works for your baby, you'll know more specifically why you actually need and don't need and sometimes, what we put on our registries doesnt work and if you rush to buy your "maybes" now, you may actually be wasting money even with the discount. It's also nice to be a few months in and still have GC money because it'll feel more free, even if you're paying full price. Does that make sense?

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yep @MrsBigTime make sense. We only have one big item on there which is the crib mattress. There are a few other things in the $30 range that I definitely want to get but wasn't sure if the random other stuff was a good idea or not. The other thing is he has a couple friends who keep telling him they're going to get ABC gift, the mattress being one of them, but thus far we haven't gotten it. I'm totally fine to buy ourselves with coupon but it would be good to know for sure! The gift card my work gives is pretty big so I do want to keep some even just for diapers or if we decide we need something like a certain swing or whatever 
  • Loading the player...
  • brownyloverbrownylover member
    edited October 2016
    FTM Question here. I was wondering what size diapers most of you got for the babies first month or so?
    I'm starting to stock up on diapers. I got a small size one pack (target brand) at my baby shower. Today I went to costco & decided to get more cause it would be cheapest. They didn't have anything in newborn size though. So I ended up getting a big pack of the Huggies "little snugglers plus" size one & they say up to 14lbs. 
    Has anyone tried this kind? Do you think I should probably buy a big box of newborn size somewhere else as well? Or should I just wait till LO is here and see what fits her before I get more? 
  • @brownylover Totally depends on your baby. My daughter was small so used NB for a long, long time. I don't think it's a bad idea to get a box - not a huge one, and then you can always Amazon another box to your house, or send hubs out if you need more.
    FWIW, I have two boxes of NB and probably 2 of 1's that were either given to me or purchased by me. I don't have a ton of storage space, or I would probably have stocked up on the recent 35% off Amazon sale, but I used the 1-2's from Costco last time and they worked great!

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • camcbethcamcbeth member
    edited October 2016
    I love Huggies. They don't leak like some of the cheap brands. Costco is great and yes they don't have nb sizes. My first used nb for a long time and then was in size 1 for a long time too. Some babies don't fit nb at all and start with size 1. The nice thing is that stores are great at exchanging diapers even when you don't have a receipt. With my first I got tons of diapers from the shower and some were store specific brands, I walked in, grabbed the kind I wanted, and they exchanged it no problem. Just make sure the diapers are unopened. 
  • I've heard Costco and Sams's lets you return opened boxes due to a satisfaction guarantee. I'm hoping to try either kind from friends who currently use them but if not being able to return/exchange would be nice and not feel as bad about dropping a ton on a box that doesn't work. 
  • @kvruns You can pretty much return anything at Costco even if it has been opened/used. As for the diapers I think as long as half of them are still there you can return it. My H works there so I know these things. ;)
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• H's coworker's wife had a baby 1 week ago. He told him that they put the baby to sleep on her back and she always wakes up face down. At 1 week ?!?! I thought that was like months later. Of course now H will be freaked out about it bc he will assume every kid does that even though it isn't true
  • When is everyone setting up a bassinet or whatever baby will sleep in in your room? I'm 34 weeks and I picked up our bassinet today but I don't know if I should put it away for a few more weeks or just set up now? Our room isn't very big and I have a 2 year old so I'm wondering if waiting till it get closer is better? I can't remember when we set up the one we used for DS. 
  • @squish143 ours just folds up into a closet so we will probably just wait until we bring DS home to take it out. If yours is more substantial Id probably set it up a week or two in advance.
  • @squish143 I set mine up around 34 weeks and left it out of the room. I moved it in today at 38+1  with a section scheduled for next week 
  • @squish143 I'm setting up everything now because the further along I get the harder it is to get around and maneuver to put things together. 
  • squish143 said:
    When is everyone setting up a bassinet or whatever baby will sleep in in your room? I'm 34 weeks and I picked up our bassinet today but I don't know if I should put it away for a few more weeks or just set up now? Our room isn't very big and I have a 2 year old so I'm wondering if waiting till it get closer is better? I can't remember when we set up the one we used for DS. 
    we're using a pack n play that has a cradle in it. I just told H this morning that we need to get it set up in the room, more so to have it out of the baby room so that room can be finished but I figure it will be good for it to be set up and the dog can sniff around on it too 
  • We probably won't set ours up until at least my due date, maybe when we bring baby home.  Our room will be super crowded, and there's no reason to do that early. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• Thank you everyone. It's all set up as we are borrowing it from a friend so I'll probably just put it in the basement or the garage until right before my due date. It does seem a little unnecessary and inconvenient to have it in the way when we have 5.5 + weeks until dd. 
  • MollySm said:
    We probably won't set ours up until at least my due date, maybe when we bring baby home.  Our room will be super crowded, and there's no reason to do that early. 
    We have it assembled, but then folded away and stored. Will not bring it out until baby comes home because I just don't have room for it.
  • Here's a question. How do you get your LO's birth certificate? Like who submits the paperwork? How long does it take? Does it come in the mail or do you get it at the hospital? Google is not helping me solve this riddle...
  • @MrsMaryK2016 the hospital submitted ours but I can't recall if we got it in the mail or if we had to pick it up from our local town hall. 
  • Here's a question. How do you get your LO's birth certificate? Like who submits the paperwork? How long does it take? Does it come in the mail or do you get it at the hospital? Google is not helping me solve this riddle...
    For us, the hospital submits the paperwork as long as baby has a name, but we need to go to city hall and pick it up. 
    I'm pretty sure our hospital submitted the paperwork for her SS card and it came in the mail and they gave me paperwork to send in (with my $) for the birth certificate, which also came back in the mail. I'm in OR

Anniversary g

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kmmnocal said:
    Here's a question. How do you get your LO's birth certificate? Like who submits the paperwork? How long does it take? Does it come in the mail or do you get it at the hospital? Google is not helping me solve this riddle...
    For us, the hospital submits the paperwork as long as baby has a name, but we need to go to city hall and pick it up. 
    This was us too. As long you completed the paperwork and turned it in at the hospital before leaving, they submitted it and then we had to go pick it up at city hall.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16
  • Our hospital will give us the paperwork, we have to file it ourselves. 
  • We had to go pick ours up.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• I remember that the hospital gave us all the paperwork. I can't remember if they sent it in or if we did. It wasn't  big deal either way. The birth certificate and ss number came in the mail for us. 
  • All the paperwork for SSN and birth certificate was filled out at the hospital and SS card was sent to us by mail but we had to pick up the birth certificate at the county court. 
  • Question - anyone wash their activity gym? We got one in the mail and it was raining very hard today - so boxes got soaked - but I look at this mixture of plastic toys and fabric and I looked online and nowhere does it to tell how to and IF one can launder these activity gyms....Thoughts? Let it air dry? Find some nontoxic disinfectant and spray that and let it air dry? Throw whatever parts I can in the laundry and hope for the best? 
  • Question - anyone wash their activity gym? We got one in the mail and it was raining very hard today - so boxes got soaked - but I look at this mixture of plastic toys and fabric and I looked online and nowhere does it to tell how to and IF one can launder these activity gyms....Thoughts? Let it air dry? Find some nontoxic disinfectant and spray that and let it air dry? Throw whatever parts I can in the laundry and hope for the best? 
    I'm trying to figure that out too. I bought mine secondhand so I want to clean it. I haven't looked too hard but wondered if I could throw the mat itself in the wash and hand wash other stuff. 
  • @MrsMaryK2016 I've done a hospital and a birth center birth...both times, we fill out the paperwork there and birth certificate and SSN card were sent to us in the mail. :)

• @MrsMaryK2016 I've done a hospital and a birth center birth...both times, we fill out the paperwork there and birth certificate and SSN card were sent to us in the mail. :)

I hope this is the case because otherwise I'm worried I'll be too distracted and tired to remember! Thanks guys!
  • kvruns said:
    Question - anyone wash their activity gym? We got one in the mail and it was raining very hard today - so boxes got soaked - but I look at this mixture of plastic toys and fabric and I looked online and nowhere does it to tell how to and IF one can launder these activity gyms....Thoughts? Let it air dry? Find some nontoxic disinfectant and spray that and let it air dry? Throw whatever parts I can in the laundry and hope for the best? 
    I'm trying to figure that out too. I bought mine secondhand so I want to clean it. I haven't looked too hard but wondered if I could throw the mat itself in the wash and hand wash other stuff. 
    Mine was second hand and we washed the mat as well as anything that disconnected from the poles.
    Married: 08.05.11
    Welcomed baby girl: 06.10.14
    Second pregnancy EDD: 06.16.16 MC: 10.29.15
    Welcomed baby boy: 11.25.16

I hope this is the case because otherwise I'm worried I'll be too distracted and tired to remember! Thanks guys!

And they submitted for us. Forgot to mention that. You can probably call wherever you are giving birth and ask what their procedure is for it so you have a heads up.
  • I believe our activity gym came with washing directions--something like, unhook everything and wash it on gentle cycle cold. And make sure not to put any of the electronic components or pieces with mirrors in the washer (the mirror on the mat part pops out on ours).
  • C section mamas: what did you wear going home from the hospital??? Trying to pack my bag! 
  • kristah2 said:
    C section mamas: what did you wear going home from the hospital??? Trying to pack my bag! 
    Yoga pants and a loose maternity shirt, slippers. Have a pillow with you to place over your incision in the car. 
  • kristah2 said:
    C section mamas: what did you wear going home from the hospital??? Trying to pack my bag! 
    Pj pants, nursing tank and DH shirt
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • When do babies play with toys? Like when do you put them on a play mat, is it early on even though they don't really do anything or do you wait for a few months? Or a rattle or other noisemaker - how old? 
  • Can you have nail polish on going in for a c section? 
  • @kvruns  It's good to do tummy time with babies starting pretty early (like within the first couple weeks) in order to help them gain control of their neck and upper body. Toys help get their attention but they won't be able to do much with them until they have developed some motor control. I'm sure if you google tummy time you will get tons of info.
  • kristah2 said:
    Can you have nail polish on going in for a c section? 
    I'd ask your dr. I know some surgeries I've had they specify no nail polish, but I distinctly remember getting a pedicure a day or two before my last c-section and therefore had nail polish on. So I guess it depends on the dr or facility. 

• kvruns said:
    When do babies play with toys? Like when do you put them on a play mat, is it early on even though they don't really do anything or do you wait for a few months? Or a rattle or other noisemaker - how old? 
    I think by 3-4 weeks is a good time to place them on their tummies and shake a rattle to get their head up. The activity mats usually around 1 month or so, they basically start as a distraction for baby so you can get a break. I can't remember how old when they actually play with them though