June 2016 Moms
Options

Tummy time question

2»

Re: Tummy time question

• Options
    So I just found Preston rolled on his side in his sleep. I feel like he's gonna roll back to front before front to back and that worries me. What can I do during tummy time to teach him to roll the other way cause the last thing I want is for him to roll all the way on his tummy and get stuck.  If he wants to sleep on his tummy that's one thing but if he ends up there and doesn't want to then he'll be waking us all night.
    Damien just rolled from tummy to back for the first time during physical therapy yesterday. He always tried to roll but was never successful, she pointed out that it's because his arms are laid out too far from his body. The trick she showed me was to tuck his arms closely under his chest so that they form a triangle. Since he favors his left, we are trying to get him to look right more often. Once he looked right and pushed with his right arm, he was over to his back. This morning he did it 3 times on his own. Sometimes I have to reposition his arms but he learns very quickly that that's where he needed to put them on his own. If Preston is on his tummy and pushing his head is up with his arms, maybe try gently rolling him to one side, then do it again to the other side. After doing it for a few sessions, maybe he will learn to do that on his own and from there be able to take it a step further to roll onto his tummy. 

This sounded interesting: Sometimes babies seem to get “stuck” in that pushed up position and just can’t seem to figure out (or are uncomfortable with) shifting their weight side to side. You can help with this by guiding him in some slow, gentle side-to-side motions while he’s pushed up as you sing a song like Row, Row, Row Your Boat or The Wheels on the Bus and then help him shift his weight to the side just enough that he is able to finish the roll himself at the end of the song or verse. (https://mamaot.com/10-tips-for-helping-babies-learn-to-roll/)
  • Options
    So I just found Preston rolled on his side in his sleep. I feel like he's gonna roll back to front before front to back and that worries me. What can I do during tummy time to teach him to roll the other way cause the last thing I want is for him to roll all the way on his tummy and get stuck.  If he wants to sleep on his tummy that's one thing but if he ends up there and doesn't want to then he'll be waking us all night.
    Damien just rolled from tummy to back for the first time during physical therapy yesterday. He always tried to roll but was never successful, she pointed out that it's because his arms are laid out too far from his body. The trick she showed me was to tuck his arms closely under his chest so that they form a triangle. Since he favors his left, we are trying to get him to look right more often. Once he looked right and pushed with his right arm, he was over to his back. This morning he did it 3 times on his own. Sometimes I have to reposition his arms but he learns very quickly that that's where he needed to put them on his own. If Preston is on his tummy and pushing his head is up with his arms, maybe try gently rolling him to one side, then do it again to the other side. After doing it for a few sessions, maybe he will learn to do that on his own and from there be able to take it a step further to roll onto his tummy. 

This sounded interesting: Sometimes babies seem to get “stuck” in that pushed up position and just can’t seem to figure out (or are uncomfortable with) shifting their weight side to side. You can help with this by guiding him in some slow, gentle side-to-side motions while he’s pushed up as you sing a song like Row, Row, Row Your Boat or The Wheels on the Bus and then help him shift his weight to the side just enough that he is able to finish the roll himself at the end of the song or verse. (https://mamaot.com/10-tips-for-helping-babies-learn-to-roll/)

I'll try that, thanks.  He did finally roll this morning and i did notice it was because his arm was across his chest so when he tried to follow a toy he rolled.  I'm also gonna try and do more naps on his tummy so that if he does roll during the night it won't be so scary.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I want to add some more interesting things to tummy time and wanted to see if you all had other ideas for activities to incorporate either now or as our babies are capable of doing more.

Here are some of the ones I'm looking to do at some point:
    • Finger painting aka make a giant mess
    • Contrast cards
    • Tea lights (battery powered) in the dark
    • Mini flashlights in colored containers (like tupperware)
    • Sensory bag (freezer bag with color hair gel that contains beads, marbles, buttons, etc.) 

• Options
    I want to add some more interesting things to tummy time and wanted to see if you all had other ideas for activities to incorporate either now or as our babies are capable of doing more.

Here are some of the ones I'm looking to do at some point:
    • Finger painting aka make a giant mess
    • Contrast cards
    • Tea lights (battery powered) in the dark
    • Mini flashlights in colored containers (like tupperware)
    • Sensory bag (freezer bag with color hair gel that contains beads, marbles, buttons, etc.) 

These sound great.  I noticed that when on his tummy he lives to look at lights so I need to make something like a light up fish tank that moves.
  • Options
    I got Sam a piano mat for tummy time. I think it's actually supposed to be used for the baby to kick at, but I lie Sam on it in his tummy. It lights up and plays music when he hits the keys. I'm hoping it'll help him start to use his arms. We actually had five minutes of non-crying tummy time this morning. 
  • Options
    Mirrors and toys that make noise like rattles!
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    For the finger painting, I saw this and thought it was a great non-messy way for Damien to have some "artistic" fun.  :p

• Options
    That looks like so much fun! Do you guys still use a boppy for tummy time? 
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    That looks like so much fun! Do you guys still use a boppy for tummy time? 
    I don't but I may use it to do some of the activities until he no longer needs it and can do the activities without it. I'll do a few trial runs without it first to see how he does.

Another idea I found online is to simply fill a brownie tray with a little bit of water and putting a water toy (or a few) in it. Here is the picture that was on the site:

• Options
    Ohhhh! Sam might like that. He LOVES bath time and just recently discovered he can splash. 
  • Options
    Where are you finding these ideas? 
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    Where are you finding these ideas? 
    I just did a Google search for tummy time activities and kinda fell down the rabbit hole from there. Most (if not all) came from links at the bottom of this website: https://mamaot.com/therapist-approved-tummy-time-tips-activities/

I think the ones I liked the most are from CanDo Kiddo.
  • Options
    Man it keeps saying internal error. But thanks for the link ;)
  • Options
    Alright y'all, this mat solved all of our tummy time problems!!  He LOVES it!!! And before he wouldn't do tummy time at all-- he would just face plant. Here is the link! AND its on sale right now! Hope this helps!
    https://www.target.com/p/infantino-go-gaga-tummy-time-mat/-/A-14631493

Infantino Go GaGa Tummy Time Mat Image 1 of 5
  • Options
    I tried the splashing idea this morning. Sam liked it for about 10 seconds and then he stuck his arms behind him and started crying. I'm really starting to get scared there is something wrong.  
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    I tried the splashing idea this morning. Sam liked it for about 10 seconds and then he stuck his arms behind him and started crying. I'm really starting to get scared there is something wrong.  

Try not to worry cause it can change so fast.  Preston hated, I mean HATED tummy time even when he was nude then suddenly a few days ago he started to just hang out for longer stretches.  Used to be I'd get 30sec to a minute now I can get 5 min!!! One thing that helped is I roll him back once I notice he's starts to fuss.  Then when hes happy and wiggling on his back I roll him again.  I tend to get 10-12 min on his tummy per session 3 times a day where as it used to be a total of maybe 5 min.
  • Options
    amangels2 said:

Try not to worry cause it can change so fast.  Preston hated, I mean HATED tummy time even when he was nude then suddenly a few days ago he started to just hang out for longer stretches.  Used to be I'd get 30sec to a minute now I can get 5 min!!! One thing that helped is I roll him back once I notice he's starts to fuss.  Then when hes happy and wiggling on his back I roll him again.  I tend to get 10-12 min on his tummy per session 3 times a day where as it used to be a total of maybe 5 min.
    That's how Sam is now. Just hates it and won't use his arms at all, just sticks them by his side straight out. I'm trying everything that people suggest to see if I can find something that he likes. I can not wait for the day when he supports himself on his arms. It will be such a relief. 
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    amangels2 said:

That's how Sam is now. Just hates it and won't use his arms at all, just sticks them by his side straight out. I'm trying everything that people suggest to see if I can find something that he likes. I can not wait for the day when he supports himself on his arms. It will be such a relief. 
     Have you tried putting his arms under his chest in a triangle?  That would help Preston go the extra 30 seconds at first lol.  He used to do the "Superman" (arms at his side and try to lift his head). It's a great workout for their back and core muscles but they upset faster.  He just hasn't made the connection that arms=support. 
  • Options
    Yes I do try that. Today was the first time he actually kept them there for like 30 seconds. I was pretty happy! Maybe we are making progress even though it doesn't feel like it. 
  • Options
    Damien also absolutely hated tummy time up until maybe a week ago. I have no idea what changed but suddenly he was fine with chilling on his tummy and I can get about 6mins per session. He is still working on coordinating his arms for rolls but he is much better at positioning them so he is lifting his head and chest up. I wouldn't stress too much, just keep working at it...as much as it sucks right now. I was actually initially really bad about doing tummy time with him because I knew how much he despised it and I didn't want to upset him. I had to force myself to keep doing it with him, even if just for a few seconds. 

I did (and still do) what @adiaz132003 mentioned, roll him over when he starts to fuss and once he is happy again I will roll him back.
  • Options
    bankssl1bankssl1 member
    edited September 2016
    amangels2 yayyy!! thats exactly what mine did! Best $20 I've ever spent! Also, how stinkin cute is he?!
  • Options
    Aw thanks!! 
  • Options
    Ds 
    amangels2 said:
    Sam cries as soon as I put him down. And he doesn't try to lift his head or use his arms.  I called the pediatrician and she said to just keep doing it and that he will eventually lift his head and use his arms. So I continue to put him on his tummy and he just cries. I'm getting so frustrated with it, I am growing to hate the words tummy time. I feel like I'm torturing my child and I'm so ready to say screw it except everything says how important it is. 
     We had the same issue.  Lately he's been trying to push himself into a roll so we use the cue to get him on his tummy, plus we realized he hated tummy time more when he had the bulky diaper on so we started using disposables just for tummy time or I'll let him be nude.  Before that I also got him used to it by putting him on my chest so he can look up at my face, and I'd lay down at an angle so he wasn't completely flat.  I think all these helped cause before he'd last maybe 30 seconds and now we've done the occasional 15 min split into three 5 min stretches while playing.  If the day goes really well that adds olup to almost 30-45 min on his tummy per day.
    I worry that DS finds the cloth diaper too bulky as well. I'm going to try doing it nude as a start-- thank you. I just worry since he'll need to eventually be able to turn over WITH his diaper as well.
  • Options
    Ds 
    amangels2 said:
    Sam cries as soon as I put him down. And he doesn't try to lift his head or use his arms.  I called the pediatrician and she said to just keep doing it and that he will eventually lift his head and use his arms. So I continue to put him on his tummy and he just cries. I'm getting so frustrated with it, I am growing to hate the words tummy time. I feel like I'm torturing my child and I'm so ready to say screw it except everything says how important it is. 
     We had the same issue.  Lately he's been trying to push himself into a roll so we use the cue to get him on his tummy, plus we realized he hated tummy time more when he had the bulky diaper on so we started using disposables just for tummy time or I'll let him be nude.  Before that I also got him used to it by putting him on my chest so he can look up at my face, and I'd lay down at an angle so he wasn't completely flat.  I think all these helped cause before he'd last maybe 30 seconds and now we've done the occasional 15 min split into three 5 min stretches while playing.  If the day goes really well that adds olup to almost 30-45 min on his tummy per day.
    I worry that DS finds the cloth diaper too bulky as well. I'm going to try doing it nude as a start-- thank you. I just worry since he'll need to eventually be able to turn over WITH his diaper as well.

If it makes you feel better he now does tummy time in the cloth diaper and at night he's been practicing rolling on his side so the diaper hasn't slowed him down.
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    A while back we talked about making sensory bags to use during tummy time. I kept the ideas in the back of my head, waiting until Sam used his arms during tummy time. Today I made the one with gel and I put plastic spiders and Halloween erasers in it. He really enjoyed it. He did try to eat it, so I was glad I double bagged it, but he also used his hands to squish the gel and move the spiders. I think it was a success. 

So cute. I wanna do the thing where you put a piece of paper with a few blobs of paint in a bag and they do their first finger painting!
  • Options
    Yes. I bought some orange and black paint and want to do a Halloween art project next :)
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I love it!! Damien isn't quite ready to paint or do much with the sensory bag just yet but I'm stocked up for when he is at that point.
  • Options
    amangels2 said:
    A while back we talked about making sensory bags to use during tummy time. I kept the ideas in the back of my head, waiting until Sam used his arms during tummy time. Today I made the one with gel and I put plastic spiders and Halloween erasers in it. He really enjoyed it. He did try to eat it, so I was glad I double bagged it, but he also used his hands to squish the gel and move the spiders. I think it was a success. 

So cute. I wanna do the thing where you put a piece of paper with a few blobs of paint in a bag and they do their first finger painting!
    I'm going to do something like that with my older boys but you put the globs of paint on a canvas and then they use paint brushes. My boys love painting and we do a lot on canvas so I can hang them or give them as gift.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    I was doing mat time with Damien this morning and stepped out of the room for a minute. When I got back, he was on his tummy! Flipped himself to it all on his own for the first time...ane of course I missed it. He then rolled back to his tummy on his own.