September 2015 Moms

Move car seat to front facing?

2»

Re: Move car seat to front facing?

• I switched him to forward facing, he is happier and I am happier. I know what they say you should do however he was uncomfortable and that distracted me when driving which is MORE DANGEROUS in my opinion. I was taking my eyes off the road more often. I remember seeing a segment on GMA or the today show a few years ago. Children especially babies cause more distractions to a driver then texting or talking on the phone. So label me a bad mother but it's safer for us this way. Since he is forward facing if I have a snack or a drink in my cup holder for him I can easily hand it to him without taking my eyes off the road and that alone means he isn't fussing and distracting me from the road. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • amp61470 said:
    I switched him to forward facing, he is happier and I am happier. I know what they say you should do however he was uncomfortable and that distracted me when driving which is MORE DANGEROUS in my opinion. I was taking my eyes off the road more often. I remember seeing a segment on GMA or the today show a few years ago. Children especially babies cause more distractions to a driver then texting or talking on the phone. So label me a bad mother but it's safer for us this way. Since he is forward facing if I have a snack or a drink in my cup holder for him I can easily hand it to him without taking my eyes off the road and that alone means he isn't fussing and distracting me from the road. 
    Yes. This is the exact same reason I changed to FF. When LO was RF she would scream and cry so much..I used to lean back to try to shake the carseat to calm her down..now that's dangerous! Also, it cannot be good for their health if they're so stressed? Now she's FF she can see where we're going, she can see me, it's much easier to calm her down. 

Calm mum = calm baby (or is it the other way around really? Haha)
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess I lucked out because my LO doesn't cry getting into in his seat or care that he's rear facing. 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    I guess I lucked out because my LO doesn't cry getting into in his seat or care that he's rear facing. 
    It's not so much he is hard to get in and out of seat, it is that when he starts fussing I can't do anything about it when he is rear facing. That and the fact that the last month I've had to bring him to work and I drive students for our school department so I really need to be able to see him and not be distracted. 
  • Can you get a bigger car seat?  I'm can't wait until DD hits 25lbs so we can upgrade her to the bigger car seat.  She's definitely uncomfortable right now.  We switched my older two at 11 months and they stopped crying every second they were in the car, though our law changed last year and now it's 2. Sigh
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tlc11934 said:
    Can you get a bigger car seat?  I'm can't wait until DD hits 25lbs so we can upgrade her to the bigger car seat.  She's definitely uncomfortable right now.  We switched my older two at 11 months and they stopped crying every second they were in the car, though our law changed last year and now it's 2. Sigh
    Why do you need to wait? Chase has been in his Graco 4ever since he was 5 months old. 
  • @amp61470  DD is in a car seat right now that is good for 15+ lbs. but she's pretty cramped.  She moved out of her infant carrier at 6 months and has been in this ever since.  Our next step car seat is much roomier but the weight limit is 25lbs and 30 inches. She's got the inches down, but is only 23lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tlc11934 said:
    @amp61470  DD is in a car seat right now that is good for 15+ lbs. but she's pretty cramped.  She moved out of her infant carrier at 6 months and has been in this ever since.  Our next step car seat is much roomier but the weight limit is 25lbs and 30 inches. She's got the inches down, but is only 23lbs.
    I think I am confused. I haven't seen a convertible car seat with a minimum weight of 25lbs. 
  • JessicaS0914JessicaS0914 member
    edited October 2016
    tlc11934 said:
    @amp61470  DD is in a car seat right now that is good for 15+ lbs. but she's pretty cramped.  She moved out of her infant carrier at 6 months and has been in this ever since.  Our next step car seat is much roomier but the weight limit is 25lbs and 30 inches. She's got the inches down, but is only 23lbs.
    I'm also confused.  Do you mean a high backed booster with a harness??  Those are really meant for preschoolers!  My daughter stayed in her toddler seat (forward facing) comfortably until she was 3 yo, and she really only went to booster because my younger needed the convertible seat. She was probably 40 in and 36? lbs when we switched. I have a hard time picturing being cramped forward facing at 23lbs. The seat is SUPPOSED to be a little bit snug to keep them secure.