February 2017 Moms
Options

Ask a STM 10/12

Got questions? We have a variety of answers! Ask away! 

Re: Ask a STM 10/12

• Options
    I was given a hand-me-down graco pack n play.....what is the best way to go about disinfecting it? I read online to soak it in the tub with hot water and dish soap - then air dry it outside in the sun, or to set it up in the shower - spray it down with a vinegar water mix - rinse it with hot water - and air dry in the sun. Any tips and tricks? Thanks ladies! 
  • Options
    I wouldn't soak it. The insides are sometimes cardboard. I would just wipe it down with a cleanser and then wipe it with a wet towel and lay it flat to dry.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @cantalopes24 - thanks again, i got it nice and clean yesterday and let it dry in the sun.

I do have another question...sorry...lol....did anyone listen to their babies heartbeat using a medical stethoscope and find it easily? I have an EMT stethoscope and all I could hear yesterday was bubbles and gurgling, and baby girl also kept hitting the stethoscope which was pretty funny but then I felt bad for bugging her. I know i have a posterior placenta, but I'm thinking maybe I was (tmi) too gassy yesterday or I just don't have a knack for a stethoscope

• Options
    srscott3srscott3 member
    edited October 2016
    @BlondePeanut funny you mention it..we tried finding baby girl's heartbeat with H's stethoscope last night. Couldn't find anything. But same as your LO, ours was kicking like crazy so I know all is well. Would have been cool to be able to hear it though!
  • Options
    @BlondePeanut I have hit and miss luck finding the baby's heartbeat with my SIL's medical stethoscope. It is SO quiet, but just a little "swish swish swish" that I can faintly hear in the background of all that awesome gas noise. I have to be in bed in an extremely quiet room in order to catch it. And some days I can find it, other times I can't. One thing that helped me was to listen to my own heart, which is also faint but a more distinct thud. It gave me a good idea of the caliber of noise I am looking for. 
  • Options
    @BlondePeanut and @srscott3 LOL! I, too, have been trying to find baby's heartbeat with a stethoscope every night this week!! I have not had any luck. I only hear my stomach gurgling.  I read that if you find your baby's back, then you should be able to hear it. 
    I thought about asking my OB yesterday during my appointment but didn't cuz he'd probably laugh at me.  :tongue:

• Options
    @AfKash - I am declining to ask my OB next week for the same reason lol, she will probably laugh at me too

• Options
    H definitely laughed when I asked him to try. But he humored me anyway :blush: I've decided he's the only doctor that I will allow to laugh at me. So no go on asking my OB either :tongue:
  • Options
    Did anyone struggle with going back to work after baby? We can't afford to live on one income in our area (DC), but being at work just feels so inconsequential when I think about baby being here. The funny think too is that I used to LOVE my job, but now I'm just feeling ... ehh about it. Is this going to pass? Am I going to be itching to be back at work after my leave? 
  • Options
    Did anyone struggle with going back to work after baby? We can't afford to live on one income in our area (DC), but being at work just feels so inconsequential when I think about baby being here. The funny think too is that I used to LOVE my job, but now I'm just feeling ... ehh about it. Is this going to pass? Am I going to be itching to be back at work after my leave? 
    This is EXACTLY how I am feeling right now. I'm hoping others here will have some helpful responses on this issue
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits - I am wondering the same....I am a FTM and work full time, and I have been starting to feel like I belong as a SAHM even though I really can't complain too much about my job, it has good benefits and I have been here 8 years now...but I would much rather be at home with my gorgeous baby girl not sitting at my desk all day....I have no idea what to expect

• Options
    @BourbonBiscuits, I had to go back to work when DD was 4 months old. We also can't afford to lose 1 income and I am self employed so long mat leaves are impossible. For me, it was very difficult. I had PPD and PPA after she was born and going back to work made it that much worse with the guilt. I was very lucky that family was able to do the majority of childcare until she was 1, so that was a huge help. The transition going back to work can be different for everyone. If you end up having a more difficult time, don't be afraid to talk to someone.

Looking back DD has no idea. She just knows that she has so many people that love and care for her. She also has a very close relationship with my mom because she spent so much time with her when she was younger. I will also have to return to work after 4 months this time and I know it will suck big time, but it's what I have to do to help provide things for my family. I'm also still on meds for the depression and anxiety I had from when DD was small so that helps.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Diagnosed with PCOS March '10 - Started 1000mg of Metformin
    After 3 unsuccessful Clomid cycles, FSH+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Time to make Emilie a big sister!

May '16 2.0: Letrozole+FSH+Menopur+Ovidril+IUI+Progesterone=BFP! first beta-45.44, second beta-148

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    edited October 2016
    @BourbonBiscuits I am currently working FT, but planning to SAH once baby comes. I figure I can always get another job in a year or so if I don't like being home full time, but I really don't want to leave this little guy, and DH fully supports me staying home.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I feel stupid asking this, but if you get a pack and play with a bassinet attachment, can the baby sleep in there at night until they're ready to be in the crib? They all called it a "napper" or something so I wasn't sure if it was safe for all the time night use. We definitely want her in our room at first but I don't want to buy a bassinet, crib, and PnP if it's not necessary. 
  • Options
    lemieuxk said:
    I feel stupid asking this, but if you get a pack and play with a bassinet attachment, can the baby sleep in there at night until they're ready to be in the crib? They all called it a "napper" or something so I wasn't sure if it was safe for all the time night use. We definitely want her in our room at first but I don't want to buy a bassinet, crib, and PnP if it's not necessary. 
    I think it'll depend on the person. Some people use the bassinet, others don't because of being unsure if it's the safest place. You can always put the baby directly in the PnP in your room. That's what we did last time. This time we will maybe use the bassinet attachment. I looked into getting a separate bassinet but the kinds I want are $$$ and we only ended up having her in our room for a couple months last time so I didn't think it was worth it. 

@bourbonbiscuits You probably won't want to leave your babe at all in the beginning but who knows how you'll feel once a few months have passed. I'm a SAHM and I could not have imagined working at least for the first year but that's just me. Everyone feels their own way about this and everyone's feelings are equally valid. Now that my daughter is 2 , there are days I wish I had an escape but I have this next one coming along so I'll be home for awhile longer still. How long is your leave? 
  • Options
    Y'all are the best. I always wanted to SAH when I was a kid, but the DC area is just so damn expensive it's impossible for us right now. Maybe one day ... a girl can dream! I'm also sure a lot of this has to do with my own anxiety disorder. Doctors more than strongly encouraged me to go off meds during the pregnancy so I'm just kind of muddling through in a constantly nervous mess?

@homemake I get 12 weeks leave (6 paid). Which feels like a stupidly small amount of time. Not totally sure how we're supposed to grow a human, then push it out the hoo-ha and magically get over it in 12 weeks ...
  • Options
    Is anyone in a situation where your SO is/was SAH? If so, any tips or advice?

I would love to be home with my little girl once she gets here, but I make significantly more money than DH so financially it wouldn't be possible. We are considering DH being at home for a few months before sending her to day care but are still on the fence.
  • Options
    skiingstarkskiingstark member
    edited October 2016
    ColeBug89 said:

I would love to be home with my little girl once she gets here, but I make significantly more money than DH so financially it wouldn't be possible. We are considering DH being at home for a few months before sending her to day care but are still on the fence.
    My husband will be kind of doing that, he is a tax accountant. So after april 15th things slow down and he will take time off then until school is out.

So essentially I will be taking time off April 21st. During the tax season I will basically be doing it all on my own, since he works crazy long hours and then he will take a break from work after April 15th and I will have one week to teach him the things he needs to know and then pass him the baby when I go back to April 20th and work till summer break in June. So that way we will not put our baby in daycare till next school year ( I am teacher). So he will be a house husband for a while, but he can take off that time since it is after taxes are due anyways, so it is not a normal situation. 

Married to my Soul Mate since 09/06/09

BabyFruit Ticker

MC 10.23.15 @ 10 weeks
  • Options
    @skiingstark I'm in a similar situation too! I'm a school psychologist so I am off half of June and all of July, and go back beginning of August (my contract is longer than the teachers). In addition to his paid paternity leave, DH's job offers 10 weeks unpaid "bonding time" so we are thinking about him using that so that LO doesn't have to start day care until August. 
  • Options
    ColeBug89 said:

Lurking from February 2016.

My DH is a SAHD.  We were in the same boat as you, me making significantly more money than DH.  He's been at home now with our son for 5 months.  We both love it.  I love knowing that DS is home with a parent and getting one-on-one attention.  DH is truly enjoying being home with the baby.  I've had some work trips where it worked out for them to come with me, definitely one of the benefits.  It is also much more convenient not having to get baby ready every morning to get to day care; they go back to sleep in the morning after I feed baby and leave for work.  Our plan is for DH to start taking some college classes (even if it's one at a time) to make going back to work easier.  The hope is to make this work at least until DS is in school.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

Feb16 October Siggy Challenge- Favorite Halloween Candy

Image result for reese's peanut butter cup pumpkin
  • Options
    Thank you so much @beharrington! I think my DH would definitely enjoy being at home with our DD and it would give me peace of mind knowing she is at home with a parent.
  • Options
    lemieuxk said:
    We kept DS in the bassinet part of the PnP until he was maybe 3 months. Once he started moving more we transitioned to the crib. That's the only place he would sleep, and it was right beside me. 
  • Options
    @colebu9 my husband will also have more of the SAH role when our daughter arrives and after my mat leave.  He works from home with a very flexible schedule, and he will be taking care of our little girl 2-3 days a week, and she'll be going to the childcare center at my firm the other days.  He's looking forward to it, and it will make things easier for sure, but I'm wondering how it will feel for him to have more time with her than I do.  I've always been very career focused and don't want to be a SAHM, but I also don't have a baby yet, and its hard to know how I'll feel once she is here!! 
  • Options
    @MissMerciBeaucoup I feel the same way! I'm a FTM and always swore I would go back to work right away but it really is hard to know right now without her being here. I know DH will definitely enjoy being at home though, probably more than I would!
  • Options
    I had a tough time adjusting back...I had a rough PP time though. It did get better and eventually we found the most amazing daycare option (she was home with DH in the day when he was on 2nd shift).  I'm getting ready to be a SAHM... which makes me equally nervous ;) I will try to find something PT or flexible.
  • Options
    yogadevilyogadevil member
    edited October 2016
    My apologies if this should go in the symptoms thread, I'm not as active there so I felt weird just jumping in and asking.

I think I'm getting braxton hicks, and it's worrying me since I've been overwhelmed with some things the last few days so I'm way more stressed than normal paired with being accused of doing way too much.  I know they're normal and harmless but it's kind of freaking me out since I had weeks of contractions and subsequently bedrest early in 2nd tri. If I wasn't so active will they subside? Or do I just assume they're par for the course? I'm 25 weeks.
  • Options
    @yogadevil they aren't necessarily bad and can be pretty par for the course. But it just depends on how many you're getting. My dr says 5-6 an hour and you need to call. So if you're getting that many definitely call. If you're not getting that many but they're pretty regular id make sure you're drinking enough water, and make sure you sit down and put your feet up to help. 
    . Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @yogadevil Try slowing down but for sure call your dr. You are probably okay but with your history, I'd check with the dr to make sure. Keep us updated! I hope they slow down soon.
  • Options
    @yogadevil and I would also recommend drinking lots of water! That usually did it for me last pregnancy. 

Fx they calm down soon!
    First BFP: 12/16/13
    EDD: 08/23/14
    Baby BOY born: 08/29/14
  • Options
    @yogadevil drink lots of water. Water is supposed to ease the contractions. 

• Options
    @yogadevil my poor coworker went through this and ended up on bedrest for the last two months. Now her baby is being stubborn and won't come out. 
  • Options
    @yogadevil Glad to hear it's normal! Take it easy today and forget the floor smudges!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @yogadevil please don't worry about your floors. I'm sure your guests could care less and they care more about your health.  

• Options
    Glad you called @yogadevil! But seriously, could your body please just have a relaxed rest of your pregnancy given your earlier scares!? Fingers crossed they don't get worse, and your floors will get smudged again when your first guests arrive so no need to worry.
  • Options
    @Patience7150 I've been feeling so great I thought I was out of the woods! I don't want a special snowflake pregnancy *bangs head against wall figuratively*