Baby Names
Options

Opinion on Forest

My DH and I are big on traditional names and using family names. Our DS is Waylon Joel and DD is Bridget Candace.

For #3, Our girl name is Ada Lucille,  which I love. DH really wants Forest as a first name for a boy - which was his grandfathers name. However, I cannot get "run Forest run" out of my head whenever I think of the name. Thoughts??

Re: Opinion on Forest

• Options
    I like it actually. I actually don't think of Gump but of Whitaker and Griffin

• Options
    I  like it. 

I don’t think Forrest Gump will resonate with the next generation,  so he's probably safe from kids yelling that at him. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mind goes straight to Gump, sorry. But that may be a generational thing.
  • Options
    I go to Gump too... i was actually thinking yesterday that had it not been for the movie I might have considered it.. but again it might be generational.. what about for a MN?
  • Options
    I thought of Whitaker first, then Gump.
    I think Forest is a great name.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I really like Forest.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Options
    I like it too. Plus I do think Forest Gump was an amazing movie. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Not sure on a MN yet.  Forest is growing in me...didn't know if I was the only one to automatically think of Gump.  
  • Options
    Automatically thought Gump but like other people said... kids probably won't think that. 
  • Options
    bbiutmcph said:
    I like it actually. I actually don't think of Gump but of Whitaker and Griffin
    This. Also really like it a nice nature name for a boy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
  • Options
    I like it and didn't even think of Gump until you said something. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I like it a lot and Gump does comes to mind.  But I didn't know that was a negative thing?

Amazing movie.

Big Bro 7/14/13
    Little Bro 2/6/17

Pregnancy Ticker   
  • Options
    I do make the Forrest Gump association, but that certainly wouldn't deter me from using it if I loved the name! I do like the name Forest, too. :)
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Options
    I also thought of Forest Gump, but I watched that movie a lot as a child. With this newest generation it is highly unlikely many children will make that association. I vote yes. Go for it if your heart desires :smile:
  • Options
    I like Forest! I knew a child with that name from teaching, so that was my first association, not the movie. Once people got to know your little boy, they'd forget about the movie thing. 
    DD #1 Eva- April 2011
    DD #2 Violet- October 2013
    DD#3 Due New Year's Eve 2016

• Options
    Forest is our #1 choice for baby boy due next month. We both love the name and yes we think of Gump too but we love the movie and think the association isn't a negative thing. Like you said it's a old traditional name that was around way before the movie. Plus it seems like anyone under 25 doesn't immediately go to Gump, all of my younger friends love it, it's only older relatives who have had negative (and unwanted) opinions. My mother-in-law has made it very clear that she does not like it and continues to try to talk us out of it which is ruining it for us so thank you for posting this and all of the positive opinions! I hope you go with Forest and I hope it becomes popular so that we can spite the haters!
  • Options
    It's my H's name.  The name is usually spelled with two Rs. It's pretty unusual, and he did get the "Run, Forrest! Run!" thing back when the movie came out, but kids the age of your child won't really know this reference too much. 

FWIW, my H really loves his name and has always been happy to have an unusual name.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    My first thought was Forrest Alamain (John Black) from Days of our Lives. But I watched that show religiously from about 4-26. Then Gump entered my mind. But I like it. 
  • Options
    I  like it. 

I don’t think Forrest Gump will resonate with the next generation,  so he's probably safe from kids yelling that at him. 
    First I want to say that I really like Forrest/Forest. However I just heard a 4th grader yelling "Run Forrest Run!!!" at a fellow student at school. That's not the kids name, he was just simply running to the bus, but just thought I'd share that some of today's kids do know the reference. And for me, I think of Forrest from the movie Lawless (book is called the wettest County in the world, both are awesome and I highly recommend) but because of Lawless, I've mostly forgotten Forrest Gump and have even considered it as a name for our LO.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    High school teacher, here. Kids definitely still make the "run, Forrest, run!" pop culture reference. A lot of times they'll sub in the kid's actually name, but it does come up. It wouldn't deter me from using it, though (because I firmly believe that mean kids will find a way to make fun of whatever name they want, and there's not really a good way to plan around that).

Personally I thought Whitaker, the dude from Lawless, and Gump. Like PP I don't even think that Gump is a bad association.
  • Options
    I don't like it myself. I had a friend in college named Forrest (who was cute and nice) but I never really liked it even on him. It somehow seems gimmicky.
    Pregnancy Ticker