January 2016 Moms

Breakfast

What are you all doing for your LOs for breakfast?  We've been giving DS oatmeal mixed with fruit puree and breast milk, but for the past three or four days he's been really uninterested.  He's still all about lunch, dinner and snacks, so I'm thinking he's bored of oatmeal.  Anyone have any fun, easy breakfast ideas?

Re: Breakfast

• Violet likes eggs!we do baby led weaning, so my ideas might not be for you. We smear yogurt or peanut butter or jam on whole grain waffles and she really loves that. We also smash up a ripe bamana2 and mix in an egg and a little baking powder and cook like pancakes. 
  • We're working on introducing more finger foods, maybe we'll try waffles or bagels.  We tried scrambled eggs a few weeks ago and he was unimpressed.  He's gotten better with non puréed food since then though, so they might be worth a try again.
  • Loading the player...
  • She loves yogurt! She's not interested in baby food all that much anymore. She had pancakes this morning and loved it! I want to try more things as well. Interested in what others suggest! 
  • I steam an apple and pear and dice with cinnamon. I warm a couple tablespoons up each morning and give it to him. I also give either Cheerios or graham crackers. My son hates oatmeal no matter what kind I make. He also has an egg allergy. 

Im interested in making him some healthy waffles. Freezing then and probably king two mini one out each morning. Anyone have recipes?
  • In very interested in this. For all meals really. Breakfast we do cheerios and fruit. Lightly toased bread (whoke whest or cinammon bread) with butter sometimes a little jam. But definitely gets bored with stuff. I'm stuck on lunches! I did grilled cheese. But I never know ehat else to do. Dinner i do chicken and veggies or something. I usually go to the store and get one if those hot and ready whole chickens and it will last us a few days. Today i made her "pizza" which was a whole wheat pita witha bit if sauce and cheese and put it in the oven until it melted a bit. I went off topic .. all meals are hard!  I don't eat the best so what I eat I wont always feed her. 
  • Our LO didn't like scrambled eggs but he really likes runny yolk on a spoon so I'll often cook him an egg with mine. He also likes yogurt, especially when I mix in fruit. We used to do breads but he was getting such big chunks in his mouth.. how do you all handle that? Occasionally we'll do oatmeal with fruit or put fruit in his feeder too. 
  • We do some combination of scrambled eggs, diced fruit, Cheerios, cheese, pancakes (regular or pumpkin) whole wheat English muffin with some butter or hummus, yogurt with fruit. We're part of the hating oatmeal and baby cereal group. We also do mostly BLW and LO seems to be much less interested in purées or th chunky 3rd stage food and much more into finger foods. 
  • Have you tried adding a little cinnamon (or yogurt, or both) to the oatmeal? My daughter won't touch it without.
    She will also go to town on any fresh fruit we give her, and especially likes blueberries and mandarin oranges.
    She likes toast, and yesterday devoured an entire pancake.
    We do cereal at daycare, but at home it's more making it up as we go along.
    The only thing she absolutely hates is scrambled eggs, and since I don't like them either, it's NBD. 
  • Oh man, we don't even do breakfast yet... LO still throws most of lunch on the floor and eats an ok amount at dinner time...
  • @Wicked4589 I've done sweet potato pancakes. Mashed up sweet potato and an egg or 2. Sometimes a little cinnamon. Fries up just like a pancake. My little boy loved it. I've added banana and blueberries in them sometimes.
  • A big concept of baby led weaning is just give babe whatever you eat. Just watch the salt, sugar and preservatives. Violet has even had chicken curry. She loved it, and i make it pretty spicy. She loves broccoli too. I'll have to start a thread tomorrow. Hopefully it will help give you mommas some ideas. I was blessed with a really enthusiastic eater.this is her eating persimmons
  • A big concept of baby led weaning is just give babe whatever you eat. Just watch the salt, sugar and preservatives. Violet has even had chicken curry. She loved it, and i make it pretty spicy. She loves broccoli too. I'll have to start a thread tomorrow. Hopefully it will help give you mommas some ideas. I was blessed with a really enthusiastic eater.this is her eating persimmons
    Yes! I need ideas lol 
  • For those who make pancakes, do you just give then plain? Or add butter or what? I alsomake french toast some mornings which is a hit! 
  • Sweet potato pancakes! Mash up sweet potatoes an egg and I add extra breastmilk if I have it around sometimes cinnamon: also my little guy HATES baby oatmeal but likes regular he will eat steel cut oats all day so maybe try that? I just make a large batch and he eats off them the next few days even likes it cold lol 
  • @cali170 I just giver her plain pancakes.  I forgot about French toast!  LO loves it. I usually add a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg. 
  • Does anybodys LO use a spoon or fork on their own? Mine just uses fingers... and I don't spoon feed her as shes very independent and doesnt like when I do..
  • Mine likes to play with the spoon when he's done eating.  He's pretty good at getting it in his mouth when it's empty, but if there's anything on it, it gets everywhere but his mouth.
    We tried French toast with pumpkin butter yesterday and that was a big hit (with both DS and the dog)
  • My girl is starting to dislike oatmeal also. We try eggs, toast with butter or PB, Yobaby yogurt, smoothie, frozen waffles broken up.
  • nackie said:
    Mine likes to play with the spoon when he's done eating.  He's pretty good at getting it in his mouth when it's empty, but if there's anything on it, it gets everywhere but his mouth.
    We tried French toast with pumpkin butter yesterday and that was a big hit (with both DS and the dog)
    Yes without food shes great with it. With food.. not so much lol 
  • For those of you who make eggs- do you use butter or oil at all when you cook them?  Our LO hasn't tried any "real" food yet, other than avocado (just purees mostly and rice cereal) but I'm looking to start her on some BLW style foods soon and eggs sound like a nice first step.  (I make them for myself every morning anyway.)
  • For those of you who make eggs- do you use butter or oil at all when you cook them?  Our LO hasn't tried any "real" food yet, other than avocado (just purees mostly and rice cereal) but I'm looking to start her on some BLW style foods soon and eggs sound like a nice first step.  (I make them for myself every morning anyway.)
    I do scrambled and don't use any. But when I grill her some veggies I use a bit of olive oil. I use butter on toast too. I don't think its bad to use in moderation. 

We don't, just because we haven't introduced dairy yet.  I had to cut it out of my diet since it made him spit up so much, so the pediatrician said we should hold off on dairy until he was close to a year

We have a nonstick griddle that doesn't need any butter or oil, so I cook eggs straight on there. But I have used butter and oil in other things she's eaten--I just keep their use to a minimum.
  • You can also hardboil eggs! My friend's baby loved them and she could make them ahead of time for the week. I haven't tried them yet as we are still
    having the spitting up chunks of food problem...