Food Allergy

1st birthday and allergies

Hi! So my LO has milk and egg allergies. His first birthday is in January. I would like to have the same right of passage as other babies by smashing the cake and wearing most of it. Anyone have any recipes for dairy free, egg free cake and frosting???

Re: 1st birthday and allergies

• Daughter is allergic to eggs, but not dairy. Here is the chart I use to replace for one egg while baking:
  • SquirtgunSquirtgun member
    edited October 2015
    Here is an egg free dairy free icing:

You would probably have to make a larger batch for a cake, but it should work.
  • Loading the player...
  • SquirtgunSquirtgun member
    edited October 2015
    The problem is that most of my cake recipes have butter or milk in them. I would think you could find some vegan cake recipes online, but I'm not sure how good they would be.

I would think you could use another type of milk if your kid can have it (soy milk?) to bake with, but I'm not sure as I've never tried it.
  • Google "crazy cake" or "depression cake". Dairy and egg free, and delicious!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • My oldest son has milk, soy, egg white, egg yolk, peanut and tree nut allergies. He is slowly outgrowing the milk allergy, but we have trouble finding soy free things for baking. We use a grass fed butter that is soy free and in place of eggs you can use flax seed.
  • Thank you! We just had a follow up with the allergist yesterday and we now have an epi pen. We are going to do the baked egg in January and see how that goes. Then baked milk. Hopefully he'll be able to eat those things so we can be on our way of outgrowing these allergies.
  • mbud926mbud926 member
    edited October 2016
    @melissa11015 my son is a January baby as well and just diagnosed with the same thing! Deliciouslyella.com has lots of good recipes. I also heard duncin Hines icing is vegan! If you want to go homemade here are some recipes I'm going to try.

https://kitchenofeatin.com/vegan-birthday-cake/

https://allrecipes.com/recipe/231616/vegan-basic-vanilla-cake/
  • I'm new to this board as my LO was recently diagnosed (she'll turn 1 in January).

Has anyone tried any of the recipes from: www.kidswithfoodallergies.org

You can click boxes with the various allergens to get lists of recipes without them...

We're still in the process of trying to figure out all of the allergies/sensitivities and the severity, but I'm seriously intrigued. 
  • So little update from the least Martha Stewart mom there is, there is a vegan cake mix that I bought at wegmans and tried...pretty good! Also, I learned that Duncan Hines icing is vegan! (In addition to oreos)
  • @mbud926 are there only certain Duncan Hines icings that are vegan? I'm looking online at their ingredients and I can't find any that don't include milk. 
  • I found that pilsbury frosting is also milk free. Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I have sent my mom all of the website with recipes for frosting again this year! And thankfully, we have outgrown some of the allergy and he can eat milk in its baked form! Yay!! Progress!!! Hopefully by next year, he will have outgrown the whole allergy! Fingers crossed!!
  • mpp06mpp06 member
    I see this is an old post, but a great sub for eggs is 2 Tbsp flour, 2 Tbsp water, 1/2 tsp oil, 1/2 tsp baking powder per egg. Mix them into a paste and add. Works best with like 3 or less!