January 2017 Moms

Ask a STM+ Week of 10/3

2»

Re: Ask a STM+ Week of 10/3

• WholesomeWholesome member
    edited October 2016
    @kelseyh62, I'm on team lazy and don't fold them.  I have drawers for each type of clothing and I literally toss them in the right drawer and move on.  Well, I do hang the nice ones so they don't get wrinkly.  It may look ridiculous to have this setup with newborn clothes, but the clothes get bigger and bigger and soon you'll start looking into a different organization option because you don't have enough room.

The first 20 seconds of this video is no joke.  I chose to keep my sanity and not do it.

https://youtu.be/_bP0Uf3Shd0

one thing I found helpful is to have the next set of clothes on standby, meaning I have them stored and ready to be incorporated into the rotation by putting them in a seperate place in the closet.  I also have a laundry basket just for things that my son grows out of.  It's a sad basket.  I launder these and store them by size for the next babe.
    BabyName Ticker
  • Has any STM+ dealt with toddlers and nightmares?? My 2yo keeps coming into our bed in the middle of the night, which would be okay, except he kicks me in the back and my husband prefers him in his own bed. Well, this morning he refused to go down the hallway to his bedroom, saying that there was a scary giraffe there. We're now thinking he's waking up due to scary dreams. Tonight, we went through all the rooms with him to show him that there's nothing to be scared of and then I tried telling him his favorite dinosaurs will protect him if he's scared, hoping that it'll put his mind at ease. He looked more scared after I said that and wanted them facing away from him. I hate that he's so scared! What are some other things you've tried/done?
  • Loading the player...
  • vgempis said:
    Has any STM+ dealt with toddlers and nightmares?? My 2yo keeps coming into our bed in the middle of the night, which would be okay, except he kicks me in the back and my husband prefers him in his own bed. Well, this morning he refused to go down the hallway to his bedroom, saying that there was a scary giraffe there. We're now thinking he's waking up due to scary dreams. Tonight, we went through all the rooms with him to show him that there's nothing to be scared of and then I tried telling him his favorite dinosaurs will protect him if he's scared, hoping that it'll put his mind at ease. He looked more scared after I said that and wanted them facing away from him. I hate that he's so scared! What are some other things you've tried/done?
    My son has been doing this exact thing. I think it's a phase. I get no sleep when he's in my bed though. My husband had been thinking that it's funny to hide and jump out and scare him. I think this has made him be more jumpy. I know this because this morning my husband was trying to get my son to come to his room to get dressed. My son was curled up next to me saying no, he's going to scare me. So, I think I'm going to have to punish daddy in order to get any sleep again. Men. 
  • @vgempis @Teach123 Sounds like the 2 year sleep regression to me. We just went through this with my daughter (26 months) and it sucks.

We used the Sleep Shuffle method to help her fall asleep and started leaving a hall light on for her as well. It took awhile, but it's much better now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi ladies! 

Thanks as always for your amazing advice! And thanks so much to those who shared their birth stories, I need all the knowledge I can get. I'm also reading through the December 16 thread as a fun sick day activity so thanks for mentioning that. 

ANYWAYS- at what stage do I need to worry about the baby and furniture? DH used to work in publishing and is a book nerd on top of that so we have some very rammed bookshelves that make me super nervous (they're basic IKEA ones that aren't fixed to the wall). Would you recommend we deal with dodgy furniture now? Or wait till the baby is like 6 months? Do you think a baby gate around them would work if we can't drill them into the wall. I think I've started to nest because they've really started to stress me out out of nowhere...xox
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @hayhay87   You don't need to rush to get it done, but you will definitely want to make sure the shelves are either mounted to the walls if possible before baby is mobile.  A baby gate is fine as long as it keeps your child out, some kids are master ninjas like mine and baby gates are literally pointless.  Again, you have awhile before that becomes a concern.  Sometimes I find it easier to get stuff done earlier than it needs to be, just so I know that its done and you aren't scrambling once baby starts to crawl or pull up.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• Insurance question! I didn't want to put this in the maternity leave thread because that is more about if you want to take it or not, not the logistics in doing so.... Correct me if I'm mistaken!

Anyone have experience in using a midwife and getting Short-Term Disability approved? My insurance told me the paperwork has to be signed by an MD or DO in order to be approved. So just having my midwife fill it out may not be sufficient and I'll be out 12-weeks with no pay!

Personally I think this is pretty stupid.... They I'll going through just as much physically at a birthing center as a women giving birth in a hospital...

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @HJMorgan I see midwives as well but they all work "under"/ in conjunction with an OB (I see his name on my prescriptions, and the OB reviews my anatomy scans, etc. Totally separate office and practice but they have to have MD oversight) I bet yours do too, and that is how you could get an OB to sign off on paperwork if needed. I'm sure it's pretty common and the front desk staff could tell you for sure. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @HJMorgan I'd agree with @KAShock and say that your midwife probably works "under" or along side an OB or MD that could sign off on it, or I'd even ask if you could have your primary care physician sign it? It sounds pretty stupid to me too, since birthing centers aren't all that uncommon I'm guessing you aren't the first to ask. 
  • I know I've asked about the Chicco Keyfit stroller and car seat before, but now I'm wondering what to do when the baby outgrows the car seat (which apparently will happen at around 6 months?!).  Does anyone here have experience with using a Chicco car seat for a toddler, and is your seat compatible with the Keyfit base and stroller caddy?  Will I need to buy a whole new system when baby outgrows the Keyfit series?
  • @juliebird6 no personal experience with that car seat, but what are the height and weight limits on it? My son was on the bigger side and we were still able to use his infant car seat until he was a year old. He ended up outgrowin the height restriction first. Of course every baby is different but I think the restrictions are similar on a lot of the seats 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @katesmama0706 @KAShock

Thank you ladies! I will definitely look into this!
    :)
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @nolemomma14 it says 22 pounds.  I think my mom just had me totally paranoid and freaked out for no reason (shocker!).  There is no way baby will be 22 pounds that quickly...right?!  I assume I should be able to use it for about a year or so, if she progresses normally in height and weight.  
  • @juliebird6 I haven't used that particular car seat, but we were able to use our infant seat until our son was about 16 months. You just need to check the height and weight restriction so you know when you'll need to move him. Ours outgrew the height restriction first. Then you'd go to a big kid car seat. We got a convertible to keep him rearfacing longer then we wouldn't have to get a
    new seat for foreword facing. These car seats don't go into your stroller though. I don't know of any that do other than the infant seat. 
  • I know I've asked about the Chicco Keyfit stroller and car seat before, but now I'm wondering what to do when the baby outgrows the car seat (which apparently will happen at around 6 months?!).  Does anyone here have experience with using a Chicco car seat for a toddler, and is your seat compatible with the Keyfit base and stroller caddy?  Will I need to buy a whole new system when baby outgrows the Keyfit series?
    On the Chicco strollers, you can use them with the seat, but they actually have a bigger area for a bigger child. At least mine does. I have the Liteway Plus. 

And while I'm not the norm, my daughter is 26 months and still isn't 22 pounds. Oh, and they usually outgrow the height limit faster than the weight limit anyway.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @juliebird6 I don't have experience with that seat/travel system but will share our story. Starting when DS was about 4 months his infant seat got too heavy for me to carry for very long so it went to and from daycare and that was it (because I picked up and DH dropped off). When DS was about 6 months old my husbands car was hit while parked on the street in front of our house and totaled. It just had the base in it at the time so instead of buying a new base, we decided to buy a convertible seat. We bought the Chico Nextfit and put it in my car. Then we put the base for the infant seat and the infant seat in DH car as a more permanent seat (not taking it in and out). About a month later we decided to get a second convertible seat for DH car because DS seemed so big in his infant seat. He still met all the height and weight specs, just seemed big. We also knew we would eventually need a convertible seat because we wanted him rear facing until at least 2 and knew the infant seat would not make it until then. Once DS was about 4 months, we just continued using our stroller without the infant seat attached. It worked out well.

Pregnancy Ticker

• edited October 2016
    I know I've asked about the Chicco Keyfit stroller and car seat before, but now I'm wondering what to do when the baby outgrows the car seat (which apparently will happen at around 6 months?!).  Does anyone here have experience with using a Chicco car seat for a toddler, and is your seat compatible with the Keyfit base and stroller caddy?  Will I need to buy a whole new system when baby outgrows the Keyfit series?
    My daughter is 16 months and at her last check up (15 months) she was 22lbs. She's in the 60th percentile for weight, so not small for her age.  We had a Graco infant carrier, but we used it until she was 12 months... your mom must've had big babies!
  • @juliebird6 I have a Chicco Keyfit 30, which goes up to 30 pounds and 30 inches. We used until over a year old. He met the requirements for much longer (he's a peanut), but he was tired of a bucket seat at that point and wanted to sit up more. I love the seat for the convenience of it. We got bases for grandparents cars and had them installed correctly, so all they had to worry about was clicking and going. His grandparents kept him for his first 2 years, so they had him a lot. I saved the seat and will use it with this one too, so I got more use out of it. We replaced it with a convertible seat that was like $70, Saftey First Guide 65 from Walmart which we also love. 
  • Any STM+ have daily RLP through the third trimester? It started over a week ago and has been daily. Once I'm up and moving for a while, it goes away (or I guess I can just ignore it), but it is seriously nonstop anytime I walk. It's mostly bad right when I get up in the morning and at the end of the day. It feels like I just ran a marathon the day before, except it's everyday and the closest to a marathon I'm getting is binge watching TV shows. Is it only going to get worse now that the baby is growing rapidly?
  • @newyearsbaby5 I honestly can't remember. I don't think I did so I can't help much with that. Are you getting A LOT of water in a day? That may help.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carly79 I'm drinking a ton of water--it's really all i drink and I almost always have my water bottle on me. i'm not worried about it, per se, because the location of the RLP is where my legs connect to my pelvis which is where my OB says the round ligaments attach and the baby kicks lately have been crushing my rib cage, so up high. it's just uncomfortable and I wan't it to go away. maybe this post would be better suited for a weekly bitch fest because the RLP is annoying :neutral:
  • @newyearsbaby5 My chiropractor works on my round ligaments when I see her (she does specialize in pre-natal chiropractic care) Maybe you could look for a YouTube video on how to massage and release them? I haven't looked for one but I'm sure there's one out there. 

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Any STM+ have daily RLP through the third trimester? It started over a week ago and has been daily. Once I'm up and moving for a while, it goes away (or I guess I can just ignore it), but it is seriously nonstop anytime I walk. It's mostly bad right when I get up in the morning and at the end of the day. It feels like I just ran a marathon the day before, except it's everyday and the closest to a marathon I'm getting is binge watching TV shows. Is it only going to get worse now that the baby is growing rapidly?
    Do you see a chiropractor? If not, I would make an appointment with one if you can. It seriously helps so much!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you for this. I sometimes feel like I have no questions but I love to read this thread. You moms ROCK!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• I was just going to suggest the chiropractor that specializes in prenatal care. Since I started seeing one I've had very little RLP (but was having a lot starting about 8 weeks).

Pregnancy Ticker

• @Carly79 @emy730 @suzykat77 thank you for this advice! i would've never thought chiropractor because that always makes me think back, but with our bodies going through so much it makes sense as to why it'd be helpful for other parts of the body. calling mine today!
  • Has anyone here had (acute viral) bronchitis during pregnancy and have any tips on which pregnancy-safe medicines actually work well? I'm already doing tons of hot mint tea, garlic, humidifier, bed rest, and all the non-medicated home remedies I can think of but I'm a veteran bronchitis-haver and would love to kick this virus's ass before it turns into the bronchitis where your lungs feel like they're on fire. Right now I'm just taking Tylenol for pain management, but I'm curious what else has worked for others.

• @canavara no advice but good luck! Being sick while pregnant is like another form of torture.
    BFP #1 1/19/09 EDD: 9/29/09 Caiden arrived 9/20/09
    BFP #2 4/1/10 EDD: 12/7/10 Ethan surprised us on 11/19/10
    BFP # 3 EDD :10/24/12 Rylan was born 10/17/12
    BFP #4 4/13/14 EDD:12/22/14  Nolan made his entrance on 12/15/2014
    BFP#5 5/22/17 EDD:1/27/17  It's a GIRL!!!!

• @canavara I was admitted to the hospital for pneumonia at around 14 weeks and they blasted me with antibiotics through IV. My doctor was not about to mess around. She said that stuff has a tendency to get so bad while pregnant and one of the main concerns was my O2 levels. I had to use an inhaler and do breathing exercises for a while after.  Don't let it get too bad!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • @canavara my OB gave me cough syrup with codeine and an albuterol proair inhaler
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @canavara, I did! It SUCKED.  Urgent care dr diagnosed viral bronchitis & said there was not much to do other than get through it. My OB recommended Robitussin D, but there's a medicine in it that is a Cat C risk so I got regular tussin. I had lots of cough drops, Vick's rub, ginger lemon tea, and drank tons of water. I had it for about 6 weeks (still coughing up some nastiness & it's been 3 months ugh). Also, I pulled muscles in my arms & neck from coughing so hard & often and I found that regular Icy Hot patches where the one active ingredient is menthol really helped soothe the muscles. I hope you feel better soon!! You have my prayers and sympathies.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• canavaracanavara member
    edited October 2016
    @PMForbie @ceclarlinetlo @shlecka Thanks for all the info!

My OB's office closed for the weekend at noon today so I haven't been able to get in touch with a nurse but I'm going to urgent care tomorrow probably with the hopes that they can at least give me something. I normally take Mucinex when I get bronchitis but the Internet seems to be half and half on whether it's safe--some say it's fine in second/third tri and not in first and then some are just "Nope don't take it, class C" so I'm just sitting over here gnawing on raw garlic and gulping down mint tea and sitting in hot steamy shower-running bathrooms hoping anything will steer it away from turning bad before I can get to the doctor.

Pretty sure the baby is sick of me coughing. He's started kicking me every time I break into a coughing fit. Looking at the bright side, at least I know he's okay.
  • @canavara I'm so sorry. That sounds awful. I hope they give you something effective and safe tomorrow. If you have any melaleuca or eucalyptus oils, you might try putting a few drops in that steamy shower. 
  • canavaracanavara member
    edited October 2016
    Got z-pak. They were really (understandably) hesitant to prescribe or recommend much else. Even mucinex they were like "yeah anything you can avoid taking please avoid taking" 

anyway, sorry for hijacking this thread!
  • @canavara Hopefully that Z pack will wipe it out.  And yeah any thing to help you get deep breaths is good (steam, essential oils, etc).  Or as deep as you can go.
    IAmPregnant Ticker