Breastfeeding

Shame and anxiety around breastfeeding

For all of my adult life (and a big potion of my adolescence), my breasts (which are larger than average) have been hyper-sexualized. Even when I try to dress modestly, the sheer size of my breasts gets me attention. I feel pressured to breastfeed due to the health benefits for my child, but I find it difficult to flip that switch in my head that says "these are for sex" to "these are for feeding an infant." I want to do what's best for my child, but I'm not sure if I would be able to be comfortable with breastfeeding. Does anyone else have this concern? (Due date: Feb 2017)

Re: Shame and anxiety around breastfeeding

• It sounds like breastfeeding may be exactly what you need, to overcome this!

For me, there was nothing remotely sexy, or to be honest even pleasant, about breastfeeding during the first few weeks. My nipples were in so much pain i'd just walk around with them in the open with healing balm. I had to pump a lot to get my milk flowing. Not only is pumping not sexy, it didn't even feel maternal. I felt like a cow whose only job was to provide milk.

Now, months later, breastfeeding is great but after that initial difficulty I'm beyond being even ashamed of others seeing my breasts, i don't even think of them in a sexual way anymore. They look and feel completely different from the breasts I used to know, and their main purpose now is to feed the baby!
  • Before having my baby, I also wondered how the experience would fit with the sexualized view of breasts. Breastfeeding was only awkward in the very very beginning, mostly because I had no idea how to breastfeed or help a baby latch, but did not feel sexual or confusing for me (in regard to roles) at all. I had no trouble with comfort or how I viewed them until trying to be sexual with my husband again. It was hard for me to switch out of the mama role. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Before having my baby, I also wondered how the experience would fit with the sexualized view of breasts. Breastfeeding was only awkward in the very very beginning, mostly because I had no idea how to breastfeed or help a baby latch, but did not feel sexual or confusing for me (in regard to roles) at all. I had no trouble with comfort or how I viewed them until trying to be sexual with my husband again. It was hard for me to switch out of the mama role. 
    Same here.
  • I honestly think you should at least try. Trust me once I started nursing my first child instantly it was all my nourishing my child. There is nothing sexual about it. After breastfeeding I view my breasts as my child's food. 
  • https://mamasaulness.com/top-breastfeeding-tips/

look at the video that is linked in #5 of my breastfeeding tips. Breastfeeding is natural and normal and there is absolutely nothing sexual about it. Like seriously nursing and pumping is the least sexy thing once you see it and do it yourself. You can do it! I have never been more proud of my body and confident in myself since breastfeeding (I'm still nursing my 21 month old).