April 2017 Moms
Options

NIPT

2»

Re: NIPT

• Options
    @Taylor72 I had mine drawn last Thursday morning (9/15). My doctors office says they always get them back in about a week.... I'm headed there shortly for my NT scan and will ask but I'm not expecting them to be back. Did you get yours back yet? 
  • Options
    We don't do any early testing. We just wait until the anatomy scan to see how baby is doing.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ShelbyTaryn not yet and I don't want to wait anymore I just want to know now haha! Hope things go well at your appointment
  • Options
    I'm getting the MaterniT21 test done as well because I'm AMA (just call me grandma, haha!).  We will not be finding out the gender and my husband is pissed about it.  LOL.  We already have one of each so I'd like this last one to be a surprise.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • Options
    My insurance no longer covers ANY genetic testing. It's a bunch of shit!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm confused why some of you are getting the Materniti21 (or like testing) AND an NT scan. It's redundant to have both and the Materniti21 is highly accurate. I'm surprised insurance covers both.

I am 36 so AMA. I was recommended to get the Materniti21 or Progenity Verifi blood testing (same test, different companies). I checked with my health care on both and my out of pocket would be roughly $220-$230 for either one. I recalled my OB saying the max out of pocket for Progenity was $100 so I called Progenity directly and they said that if you call them when you get your bill they will only make you pay $100, insurance or not, regardless of household income. So if cost is deterring anyone then there you go.

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    @MWoodside our Dr suggested to do both the blood test and the NT scan since otherwise we wouldn't have another ultrasound until almost 20 weeks.  Our last one was around 7 weeks.  Our insurance doesn't pay for the NIPT blood test but fully covers the NT scan.  It was just a suggestion that they felt would be helpful in order to track the baby's progress, etc.  It's definitely fairly redundant although the Dr. did mention that the NT scan has the ability to see the baby's brain and to ensure that was developing normally as well. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ok that makes sense if it's to get the extra scan. 

DD1 born 5/24/10.

Missed M/C at 14 wks Feb 2012.

DD2 born 5/14/13.

Missed M/C at 9 wks July 2015.

Expecting someone new 4/17/17.
  • Options
    @MWoodside

Same as @M&Max, Dr wanted the NT scan to see the baby's brain.  I wanted the MaterniT21 to know the sex of the baby.  Both are covered by my insurance.
  • Options
    Anxiously waiting for my Harmony test results!
    EDD 4/15/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So, I'm dumb, but I don't know what half of those abbreviations mean (NT, NIPT).  And yes, I even checked the abbreviation link.  LOL.  @MWoodside, my MaterniT21 test consisted of an ultrasound to check for nuchal folds and blood work for the genetic markers.  I'm not sure how different that is from an NT scan?  I know I'm eligible for more testing and have to get a Level 2 u/s in November because I'm 35.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Married: 12-04-06 
    Annabelle: 1-1-08
    Patrick: 8-15-10
    EDD: 4-20-17
  • Options
    @Beckyf321 The NT scan is just an ultrasound that measures the fluid space in the back of the baby's neck as that, alone, picks up about 70% of baby's with chromosomal abnormalities if its over 3mms. 

Alyssa (30) & DH (36)
    DD (12), DS (8). 
    Baby Boy EDD 4/6/17. 
  • Options
    My OB said that the NT scans are now more widely covered by insurance. Ours is if we elect to have it. They use u/s to look for certain markers and features of the baby to indicate those few genetic disorders. He explained when you order the Harmony test they actually draw your blood to find the baby's DNA lurking in there. They then magnify that to read the baby's DNA directly, thus it is exponentially more accurate. Our office has the Harmony for 129$. It would be able to tell us the gender because they are looking at the baby's DNA.

We never thought twice about testing when we had our first. I'm low risk so, it seemed unnecessary. Also, wez thought it wouldn't change our pregnancy or our baby to know in advance. This time, we are thinking of doing it. Might be neat. 

• Options
    WkoutMomtoBeWkoutMomtoBe member
    edited October 2016
    My ob/gyn sends anyone who wants 1st trimester screening to perinatalogist bc they have better ultrasound equipment and blood tests too.

We were confused until we went last week but the midwife explained

1) there's an the ultrasound looking at nuchal fold of neck and measurements

2) they did PowerPoint of 1ST trimester blood screen and one of free cell dna and we got to choose which, if any. We selected the free cell DNA ( Panorama ) since it tells more and it's more accurate. Also bc my insurance will cover it (I'll be 35 when baby is born). We elected to not find out the gender 

They use the ultrasound & blood test together to figure out what risks
  • Options
    Update: we did Verifi and got results 8 calendar days later, low risk for everything screened.